C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working on my 69/427 rear suspension..special tools?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Crahm
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Working on my 69/427 rear suspension..special tools?

As I posted about a month ago, my differential has axle shafts which move in and out about 1/4" so I've decided to rebuild my rear end. My rear spring will be replaced too. My strut rods are bent so they'll be replaced.
My driver's side wheel has play in the bearing load. The Shop Manual mentions a special tool to remove the drive spindle from the support. Is this tool necessary or can I utilize a puller of some sort?

In addition, my C3 has an additional 'H' shaped long bracket attaching to a frame attachment point foward of the carrier front support and attaching to the underside of the strut rod bracket (under the diff).
I don't find this in the Shop Manual. Rather crudely made - could it be some homemade dragracing thing?

Thanks, Charles Rahm, Dallas, TX
Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like someone made a traction bar for it.
Don't use the tools for removing the spindle. They do more damage than anything else. Pull the trailing arm, bring it over to me and I'll remove the spindle for you.
Mike

Quick Reply: Working on my 69/427 rear suspension..special tools?