C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I fill the torque converter with fluid before I install it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 12:31 AM
TravMsns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I fill the torque converter with fluid before I install it?

I've already installed the new tranny, I still have to install the engine and torque converter. My question is, should I put fluid in the torque converter when I install it, and if so, how much? Or should I just fill the tranny up, fire the engine up and keep adding to the tranny as it pump fluid into the converter? Thanks.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:16 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: should I fill the torque converter with fluid before I install it? (TravMsns)

I just did this, it was recommended to me to put at least 1 quart into the TC before you put it on, it takes a while for it to fill so be patient. Also, make sure you seat the TC fully before you try to install the motor(that means double check it!).....don't ask how I know this :jester
Old 05-13-2002, 01:17 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: should I fill the torque converter with fluid before I install it? (TravMsns)

I just installed a new B&M converter, and they said to add 1 quart of tranny fluid to the converter prior to installation. Also, change your front seal if you haven't allready done so. Cheap insurance.
PS-B&M said to lay a straight edge accross the front of the trans bell housing and make sure the front of the drive hub was at least 7/8" inside of the edge to be fully seated.

[Modified by ORVette, 9:19 PM 5/12/2002]
Old 05-13-2002, 01:38 AM
LS-5 71
Instructor

I've already installed the new tranny, I still have to install the engine and torque converter. My question is, should I put fluid in the torque converter when I install it, and if so, how much? Or should I just fill the tranny up, fire the engine up and keep adding to the tranny as it pump fluid into the converter? Thanks.
Most manufacturers indicate adding 1 quart of fluid prior to installation.

Get notified of new replies

To should I fill the torque converter with fluid before I install it?

Quick Reply: should I fill the torque converter with fluid before I install it?