C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bee Jay's lightweight battery mod! 25lbs saved!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
My buddy Paul is buying on the aluminum radiator thread, so I get his aluminum radiator. That should be another 15lbs. Stay tuned.
Bee Jay
Don't hold your breath on that one, especially if you're starting out with a light duty radiator.

I'll still keep my ears to the ground though.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastvette
definitely lighter by weight, but will it continue to produce...looks like a Harley battery
For those who may have seen the article a year or so back where they striped a C4 down to the bones, but didnt' gain anything, the problem there was they neglected to recalibrate the suspension (heights, springs, shocks, bars...) for the significantly lighter vehicle they ended up with.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
One of the guys in C6Z has got bee jay beat, Halltech got one of those cars under 3k#...
Not that big of a deal. Just takes a little time and effort.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69427
Not that big of a deal. Just takes a little time and effort.
That was in response to "a documented case of auto anorexia".
Old 02-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

That was in response to "a documented case of auto anorexia".
Are you talking about another C3, or that C6 that the guy kept shoveling money at?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69427
Are you talking about another C3, or that C6 that the guy kept shoveling money at?
At the end of the day, if someone is really serious about losing weight there's going to be some money shoveled. I'm not trying to make this about new cars vs old cars, merely saying it's not the first time someone's documented weight loss on the net. I appreciate Bee Jay's threads. It's the Halltech car. Carbon fiber, lighter seats, braille batteries, coil-overs, headers, no cats, some other stuff that I can't remember.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

At the end of the day, if someone is really serious about losing weight there's going to be some money shoveled. I'm not trying to make this about new cars vs old cars, merely saying it's not the first time someone's documented weight loss on the net. I appreciate Bee Jay's threads. It's the Halltech car. Carbon fiber, lighter seats, braille batteries, coil-overs, headers, no cats, some other stuff that I can't remember.
Can you give us a link to that thread please. Maybe there are some good ideas we could use on C3s.
Bee Jay
Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a huge thread on a competition between Halltech (manufacturer of cold air intakes) and Katech (engine building group that supplies stuff to the Corvette Racing team):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...challenge.html

Jim's build thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-underway.html

Bear in mind that I haven't tracked that project for a while... and it definitely looks like they're more than willing to dumb big buckets of cash.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bee_Jay,

Could you do a separate thread outling all of your weight savings projects thus far with links to those threads? Maybe with a table too showing your new vs. old weight?

Thanks,

John
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Hey, I have a battery like that in my motorcycle!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

I drove the car today. I went to work, a couple of meetings, and lunch. I must have started the car about 10 to a dozen times. Cranks right up every time.The volt meter reads 14 volts running and 12 volts not running. Easiest 25 lbs lost since I went to aluminum heads and headers.
Bee Jay
Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Will's'74VetteL-82
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's really cool! What did you do to make those battery cable adapters?

Will
Old 02-02-2012, 10:44 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I drove the car today. I went to work, a couple of meetings, and lunch. I must have started the car about 10 to a dozen times. Cranks right up every time.The volt meter reads 14 volts running and 12 volts not running. Easiest 25 lbs lost since I went to aluminum heads and headers.
Bee Jay
What are you running as far as cam timing, compression ratio, and spark timing? Just trying to get an idea whether it's a hard start or not. This might be a mod that I would think seriously about. I don't drive my car in cold wheather, so that's a plus. I will be interested to hear how it's doing a few months from now. Thanks for serving as guinea pig, Bee Jay,

Scott

Scott
Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by scottyp99
What are you running as far as cam timing, compression ratio, and spark timing? Just trying to get an idea whether it's a hard start or not. This might be a mod that I would think seriously about. I don't drive my car in cold wheather, so that's a plus. I will be interested to hear how it's doing a few months from now. Thanks for serving as guinea pig, Bee Jay,

Scott

Scott
LT4 hydraulic Hot Cam, 10 to 1 CR, lightweight gear drive starter.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

LT4 hydraulic Hot Cam, 10 to 1 CR, lightweight gear drive starter.
OK, so it's not some worn out, 8:1 engine that you could start with a double A battery, that makes the whole deal sound even more promising.

Scott
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Battery trivia:
Its the CCA rating of the battery that starts our cars and when all is working well, we don't use the full rating of the battery. My guess would be between 50 and 100 CCA's would be required to start one of our modern high compression engines with a starter in good operating condition. If I had a current meter I would check to see what the actual discharge current is but in its absence I have to guess.

The Kirkland battery is probably somewhere around 600 CCA's and the Deka is about 300. Enough capacity to start the car when the battery is new but as it ages, CCA availability decreases due to wear on the battery plates, even for the AGM batteries.

My point is this, to get the same life span out of the Deka batteries, you may have to use 2 of them in parallel, roughly matching the CCA's of the Kirkland battery. There is weight savings, but less of it. A single Deka battery should operate just the same, same charging voltages, etc, it is the heart of a 12 system. The cell voltages are close to the same as a lead acid battery too, so the same charging system will work for both. With a single Deka battery though I expect it will not last as long as the Kirkland lead-acid variety due to the basic capacity differences between them.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Tangelo79
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you weighed the car recently Bee Jay?? Just got my car put back together with AFR alum heads, alum rad, lightweight starter, and monospring and its 3120 lbs now with 1/2 tank of fuel.

I plan on your light weight door mods, a-arms/coil overs, lighter brakes and seats...trying to get to around 2,900 lbs. Any other weight trick you have learned would be welcomed!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Bee Jay's lightweight battery mod! 25lbs saved!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:17 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

It is an Absortion Glass Mat (AGM) battery.
AGM batterys are very good but do have ther down falls.
We tested them at work in our fleet of big rigs, good points are fast starts, long lasting, no acid smells. less chance of exploding.
Bad points are slow charging, will draw down to 0 volts and stay there as acid batterys will draw down and come back a little. When dead you cant put a fast charge on them as you must charge them at lower amps and voltage for longer times. apples to apples the AGM batterys are very heavy, average about 20lbs. We had trucks that would not start in winter because the dome light was left on over night and our 600 amp Start All
was worthless. AGM,s hate cold weather. We changed back to acid batterys.
Helpfull hint,,, KEEP THEM CHARGED! dont let them go dead.
Oh yea, I do run them in my classic cars, with reserve
Old 02-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wan2run
BeeJay - any idea what the car weighs now?
I weighed the car today. I'm at 3120lbs!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Tangelo79
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3120 awesome!! Exact same weight as mine! Have you done brakes yet? From what i can tell a light aluminum hat rotor and aluminum caliper like Wilwood's will drop around 100 lbs.

Quick Reply: Bee Jay's lightweight battery mod! 25lbs saved!