C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is next? My engine blew tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I still have the Joe Gibbs break in oil in my Engine, i was able to put 700 miles on the car this part summer and will dump it in spring as soon as i t gets warm out.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:18 PM
c3sleeper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see someone else on here in the oklahoma area! Sorry for the trouble you've had and hope to see you with the c5 at an upcoming Corvette show. I'm in the enid area and am hoping for some insight on rear ends. I've installed and 383 stroker thats turning out around 460 at the flywheel and refreshed parts on the way through it. Hope to see you around Hallett sometime with that beast!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 AM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by c3sleeper
Good to see someone else on here in the oklahoma area! Sorry for the trouble you've had and hope to see you with the c5 at an upcoming Corvette show. I'm in the enid area and am hoping for some insight on rear ends. I've installed and 383 stroker thats turning out around 460 at the flywheel and refreshed parts on the way through it. Hope to see you around Hallett sometime with that beast!!!
I am in Enid! Are you in the Enid Corvette club? If not you need to be. It is an awesome group. I have only been a member for about 6 months, but I actively try to get more C3 guys in. Our April show is the 7th at the Expo Center, we have a meeting Thursday night, if your ever interested let me know and I will give you directions to our new digs!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 AM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
If the engine is built properly (which this one apparently wasn't) it will be broken in by the time it first comes up to temperature.
Exactly. When we were racing a lot, it was nothing to do a ton of engine work in the evenings and race all weekend, and if the combo didn't work, to tear it down and trying something different before the next race. I even rebuilt the top end on my bike between rounds many times, and it was very streetable. If it is built right there should be no issues. BUT....there is a difference in good quality racing parts and some other stuff that may not take the harshness of racing regardless of the miles. Just my penny's worth.....
Old 05-27-2012, 03:00 AM
ex9850
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An update to things. My builder did make it right (more or less), I did buy a C5 (which I love but it too has required some work) . It took my builder 3 months to finish rebuilding my 383 motor. I have test driven it and except for some new problems, it appears to be working. I did pay a small amount as I wanted some things changes and he charged me the extra price for parts.

I am finished with him ( the builder I used) now no matter how what has been done turns out. I got the car (the c3) back with the power steering not working. Also the bright light light control doesn't work now. For the power steering, I will probably take it to a dealer (can they work on 34 year old vettes?). As for some of the other things I intend to have tracdogg2 take care of what he can. I just need to build up the courage to try and drive the C3 to the Dallas area and turn it over to him.

For those that want advice, If you are like me and can't do your own work on your car. Buy a crate motor - they even come with warranties. Installing the crate motor is another thing but that is for a later discussion.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ex9850
For the power steering, I will probably take it to a dealer (can they work on 34 year old vettes?).
No.

Quick Reply: What is next? My engine blew tonight.