C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signals don't always cancell

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 PM
bschuus
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Turn signals don't always cancell

I was wondering. Is it really that difficult to repair/replace the turn signal mechanism in the stearing column of an 80 Vette?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Sideways73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure how much of a difference there is between a 77 and an 80, but mine (77) would not stay on when turning right unless I held the switch to on and making a left turn it would stay on but not turn off. I replaced the turn signal switch in the steering column ( http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPSESWAMS_____ ) note: that is not the price I paid, I found one on ebay for about $15 and it fixed it and works great now. It was not that difficult at all, just pulled the steering wheel and lower dash panel. would of took less than an hour but I ripped the whole dash apart to clean it out and check/clean up wiring while doing it. only thing I would say is a must is to get a steering wheel puller. I got mine at advance auto for $15
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 PM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...mn-issues.html
Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

From your description two things come to mind.
1. You may need to replace the small torsion spring(s) in your turn signal switch. Or one of them may have become dislodged. Replacement springs are available at most automotive stores.

2. Your steering column may not be centered correctly. With the car stopped and idling and steering wheel set straight ahead. Turn on right turn signal. Slowly make a right turn and come back left at various amounts of right turn. Note when the turn signal cancels. Now do the same thing making a left turn. Again, note when the switch cancels from the left turn. The canceling should occur at nearly the mirror image of each other (roughly 45 degrees in either direction.)

If the switch cancels every time but at very large differences between right and left turn, then most likely the steering column/steering wheel/steering system is not centered for some reason.
Here is a paper on checking steering system centering.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=1033

Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 02-19-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM
captl27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 79 which is spent more than I thought on a new signal mechanism and it still does not work like new cars. Only if you make a full 90% turn will it work. I have gotten use to checking my signals regularly.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:07 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by captl27
I have a 79 which is spent more than I thought on a new signal mechanism and it still does not work like new cars. Only if you make a full 90% turn will it work. I have gotten use to checking my signals regularly.
My 75 was like this, I found the turn signal cancelling cam was on wrong, had to remove it and reinstall 180 degrees ( half turn) and it now works good. They're supposed to only go one way, but if you force it, it will go on wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signals don't always cancell

Quick Reply: Turn signals don't always cancell