C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

milky transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 03:13 PM
76brian
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milky transmission fluid

I have an auto trans in my '76. It was sitting for a couple of months. I checked the tranny fluid and it was very low so I added fluid. I checked it again after it warmed up and it was milky colored. I drained the fluid in the pan and added new fluid. I did nothing with the torque converter. It is still milky. What would cause this? How do I flush the torque converter too? Brian
Old 05-15-2002, 03:20 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: milky transmission fluid (76brian)

Water in the tranny fluid. Maybe coolant is getting into the lines in the radiator?
Old 05-15-2002, 03:26 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

The torque converter would have to be removed to get it all out and that means dropping the transmission to get it out. Other than that, you will have to replace the fluid, some will mix with the fluid left in the converter, then replace again, etc. You may want to try and find the cause first. I think that overheating can cause a milky looking fluid condition as well as water, but it will typically smell burnt.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:14 PM
Garys '68
Racer

You've got water in there. Unless you left the cap off the tranny fill and water somehow flowed down it, it cam in through the cooler in the radiator. Pressure check the radiator. If it's leaking into the tranny coolant, replace the radiator ASAP, refill everything, go to a shop that has the equipment to flush out the torque converter (even juffy lube does this now) and have them change the filter too.
Then hope nothing was damaged in the tranny.
Gary
Old 05-15-2002, 04:22 PM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: milky transmission fluid (Garys '68)

:yesnod:
Old 05-15-2002, 07:08 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

I have a "Texaco quick change" in my neighborhood (I'm sure many places have this equipment or something like it) That flushes all the fluid including what's in the torque converter and transmission cooling lines. They undo a trans lines at the radiator and hook their equipment up in series. They start up your engine, the fluid coming from the trans is collected in their resovier while new fluid flows back to the transmission. They do this until all fluid has been changed out and is looking new. It's about $59.00 locally.
If you have a leek from your radiator into the trans fluid, I would fix that first. To check for it, Disconnect your transmission lines at the radiator and install a special cap/gage tool that allows you to pressurise your cooling system. Watch for leaks out the trans cooler.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:37 PM
78whtshark
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: milky transmission fluid (Strike3)

There's definitely water in the transmission fluid and without a power flush, you won't get the water out. I know, been there, done that with a truck that was in a flood. After 5 changes of fluid an d filters, still had water.

Also find the source of leak, if it is the radiator.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:47 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Water in tranny fluid. You MUST get all of it out immediately. Remember CHEM 101 ... "likes dissolve likes." Some tranny's friction disks have the friction material bonded to the disk with a water-based adhesive. Please don't ask me how I found out about that one ... I don't wanna be reminded of that nightmare!

Get notified of new replies

To milky transmission fluid

Quick Reply: milky transmission fluid