C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing home the Bacon.... an 82

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Dracule
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bringing home the Bacon.... an 82

Well after quite a bit of looking and disappointments, I settled on an 82. It has been in storage inside an old service station bay for a good length of time, though with a good wash and a bit of finesse I think it will start and run fine. It's amazingly in good shape with only 53,000 miles. I suppose the first thing is all the fluids, then wheel bearings, brakes and u joints, then belts and plug wires, and if the tires are worth running or not. I got into this 82 for 6K, and after looking at later Vettes, I came away mostly wanting to take a bath after setting in most. There's no shortage of 'piles' out there, and most with pictures of when they were first acquired, and not how they looked now. I most often came across cars with the interior parts in banana boxes..lol. Actually not ...lol. Hopefully one day I'll figure out how to post a picture here on the forum, till then, just take my word for it "it's ****". Going after it in the next day or so, when I can get a trailer to transport it. It'll likely drive fine, but I don't want to chance something, as beyond looks..... I don't know of any issues if there might be any.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pictures are easy and they will get your threads a lot more attention and the visuals are much better for all those looking through your threads. First go to Photobucket.com and sign up for free. It's fast and easy. Once done it will let you easily upload any pics from your computer and organize them for you in a thumbnail format that you can see all at a glance. When you put your mouse over one of the thumbnails you'll see a little menu pop up under the thumbnail with a few links. Put your mouse over the link with the IMG tags and when you click on it it will automatically copy that IMG link. Then simply write your text in a forum post like this one and below the text you RIGHT CLICK your mouse and PASTE and that link you copied will show up here in text form. You'll see the [IMG] tags on either end of the link and that's good. It's automatic. Then when you click SUBMIT REPLY at the bottom of the post the pictures will magically appear for all to see. It's actually a lot of fun learning how to do it.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Mgrad92
Racer

Your story sounds very similar to mine. (I bought an 81 about a months ago.)
You're smart to trailer you new baby home. I was thinking about driving mine home, but decided to trailer it, and after fully checking out the brakes, I'm sure glad I did!
It also sounds like you got it for a decent price. Hope you have a few bucks left in the budget for parts. The incidentals add up quick!
Congratulations and good luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM
LastC3AZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a great find ......
be sure to replace any gas that's still in the tank .... especially if you're not certain how long its been sitting ....
looking forward to your updates .....
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Likely to have trouble with the Cross Fire after sitting that long. Have someone familiar go through it for ya.

While you are in that tank looking at the bad gas, change the rubber connector first. probably pump too.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Get those tires changed before you have one blow out if they're as old as you make them sounf. Tires older than ten years should not be run for any reason.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Mgrad92
Racer

I found it helpful to make a spreadsheet of all the items that I needed to address and the parts needed to do each job. Then I did my research on where to get the parts and what they cost.
Finally, with that info, I was able to prioritize the repairs and set my budget. And, yes, you will go over budget, just like I did.
And if you're married, don't forget to budget a few bucks for flowers. Wives can get jealous of new cars. Happy wife = Happy life.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

great to here that you did not buy the first corvette that you looked at .it sounds like you got a good car at a fair price.but you will need to do some reading .http://crossfireinj.5.forumer.com/ and http://www.crossfireinjection.net/gallery.htm
Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Best of luck with the new '82. Looking forward to seeing pics.

Get notified of new replies

To Bringing home the Bacon.... an 82

Quick Reply: Bringing home the Bacon.... an 82