C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on removing a C3 gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on removing a C3 gas tank?

Hi, I am having my quadrajet rebuilt, and I want to get the gas tank flushed and cleaned. Could I get some advice/suggestions for removing the gas tank? thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Capt Ken
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default RE: removing gas tank

Remove spare tire and carrier. PO removed and lost mine, can't help with that part. Remove supply line hose from hard line on right frame. Drain into suitable container. All the fuel will not come out. Plug the hose. Support the tank, floor jack, pieces of wood, etc. Remove the forward support bar. Slowly lower the tank, being careful of the vapor vent (plastic box) on upper left side of tank. Will probably have to angle it, right side down. When low enough remove the vent lines, then remove from car.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 PM
ClassicG
Advanced

thx. i had heard that the exhaust pipes need to be loosened or moved, so it got me a little scared.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi cg,
Here are a couple of pictures to show you the hose connections on both sides.
This is a 71 but your 74 is very similar. The hoses need to be removed from the hard lines as CK indicated before the tank can be slid to one side a little bit in order to drop it.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Right Side
Name:  IMG-49.jpg
Views: 13717
Size:  33.3 KB

Left Side
Name:  IMG_0001-34.jpg
Views: 7609
Size:  33.1 KB
The following users liked this post:
georgehx (11-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a '74 and the connections are identical.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:26 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I have replaced the tank on my '73 twice without removing the exhaust. I have loosened the rear most clamp at the muffler outlet to be able to move them slightly to ease the tank removal, but have not had to remove the exhaust. I do have a factory system however. If someone has altered the pipe configuration to accommodate different mufflers, it's possible you may have to remove something.

Since you're talking about flushing and cleaning the tank it suggests that you may be having an issue with it. I would look very carefully at the inside (as well as the outside) for any evidence of rust. The newer fuels with alcohol in them have been playing havoc with the non bladder tanks in recent years. The cost of a new tank is just too cheap to invest any amount of time and effort into repairing an old one beyond a cosmetic facelift in my opinion. A new tank includes screws, fuel sending unit locking cam, o-ring, and filler neck gasket. This particular tank does have the “O.L. Anderson” logo as original and runs ~ $230. A tank without the O.L. Anderson logo is even cheaper.

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...-tank-kit.aspx

I suggest this, because the time and effort to R&R the fuel tank is not insignificant and after you spend the additional time and effort to flush and clean yours, if it should spring a leak or develop rust on the inside, you'll just be doing the job over again soon after. A new tank should last you 10 or more years before you'll be needing to replace it again.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 AM
alfaspiderman
Cruising

I did not have to remove my stock exhaust to replace the tank. You will need to remove the entire spare tire assembly and the cross brace. The fasteners inside the frame can be a bear, but a wrench will fit inside. The plastic piece between the straps and tank is a pain to get back in the right position too. Don't forget to look for your build sheet on top of the tank. I bought a new tank kit from C/A, but it does not come with the metal neck that the gas cap screws into. Don't R/R the old one.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Dave27
Instructor

I just removed mine last week and ended up buying another due to when I pushed on it you could see gas seep through hairline cracks.You will have to unbolt your tailpipe hangers and push to the side alittle. The tank doesnt just come straight down I had to tilt mine 45 degrees the give it a few good pushes and it came out. I didnt use a jack as my tank was empty and they dont weigh much at all in my opinion.Goodluck....Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on removing a C3 gas tank?

Quick Reply: Advice on removing a C3 gas tank?