C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'73 T&T Steering Column Bumpers and Spacers... Calling Jim Shea

Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM
FLA-C3
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default '73 T&T Steering Column Bumpers and Spacers... Calling Jim Shea

I've finally gotten around to re-assembling my T&T steering column. I'm to the point where I'm installing horn contacts and steering wheel. But the next step in Jim's detailed papers say...

Reassembly C-clip Retainer, Bumper, and Spacers
Now, remove the “star” screw/set screw so that you can install the c-clip plastic retainer #1 with the single tab opposite the small lobe on the carrier #4. Snap the retainer over the C-clip and install the bumper and spacers.

Note some people omit the bumper and spacers. This will allow the column to telescope forward another ¼ inch or so. You will hear a metallic clunk at the end of travel.
I already have the C-clip installed. But, my column did not have a bumper or spacers. Other than eliminating the "metallic clunk", do they serve any other purpose? I found one vendor that has them listed as 1969-1982 Bumper Kit, telescopic steering column upper hub for $8. Just trying to figure out if I need to order it and wait to finish the assembly. Thanks...
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

In figure E-2 ... you'll see what Jim is talking about. The black bumper was made from heater hose, 3/4 id and the length is 5/8". That should stop your thud when you collapse the column.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '73 T&T Steering Column Bumpers and Spacers... Calling Jim Shea