C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine guys - Bearing pic - how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:10 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Engine guys - Bearing pic - how bad is it?

Not mine, but one from the rear main of an SBC out of an old truck that was leaking prior to tear down. I know some folks here have seen their fair share of bad bearings.

I'm guessing toast, but that's just a mostly uneducated guess.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, bearing is no good. Crank needs to be turned or replaced. Good news is the bearing never spun.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

You may get lucky on the crank, drag a razor blade across the surface at 90* to the crank metal, from side to side, see if it catches, if it does, you need look really close...
Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How bad? Normal wear depending on how many hundred of thousands of miles is on the odometer. I wouldn't reuse bearing shells that look that worn in my Vette. But a low-revving truck engine might still give a lot of serviceable miles in that condition. You'd be surprised how many vehicles' bearings look like that...out of sight, out of mind.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 AM
anips
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need to mic the journals might get by with a micro polish on the crank.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:15 AM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
How bad? Normal wear depending on how many hundred of thousands of miles is on the odometer. I wouldn't reuse bearing shells that look that worn in my Vette. But a low-revving truck engine might still give a lot of serviceable miles in that condition. You'd be surprised how many vehicles' bearings look like that...out of sight, out of mind.
It's definitely high mileage, thanks all for the replies.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There has been some debris going through the oiling system. Personally I think it's time to bake the block and do a rebuild. The lines are from the debris and shows crank bearing contact so I'd say clearances have grown to the point of pressure drop.
Not going to engage in the argument about to begin with regard to your rebuild.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:39 AM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by Indiancreek
Not going to engage in the argument about to begin with regard to your rebuild.
Nor am I. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

In a word, it`s DEAD!

mikes wont help it as its definitely out of round and your dealing with only a couple of .000.........
Old 03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ironcross
In a word, it`s DEAD!

mikes wont help it as its definitely out of round and your dealing with only a couple of .000.........
time for a rebuild.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Not with you, but if you ask about a rebuild on here, you'll see a rehash of the samething just a couple weeks ago. You'll see recomendations from working within your budget to the limit. That's where it turns from a discussion to an argument.
Look up the thread My engine just blew or one on what piston do you recommend and you'll see what I mean.
Anyway, so far everybodies on the mark, to much wear causing pressure drop. At least it's even wear pretty much. Nothing spun from the pic.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Steve2147
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you want to do with it? Why did you take it apart?

Yes, the bearing is finished and yes, there's some scoring on the crank, but if all you wanted was for it to run for another 30 thousand you can probably just replace all the bearings and button it up. It won't run any better other than the oil pressure will be a bit better, might be a bit quieter, may reduce oil consumption by the rods not throwing as much oil on the cyl walls, but all in all it's a well worn engine that will continue to run for some time.

If, however, you pulled the main to assess the general condition of things, the motor is tired and will take a major overhaul to bring it to the like new performance.

Steve g
Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve2147
What do you want to do with it? Why did you take it apart?

Yes, the bearing is finished and yes, there's some scoring on the crank, but if all you wanted was for it to run for another 30 thousand you can probably just replace all the bearings and button it up. It won't run any better other than the oil pressure will be a bit better, might be a bit quieter, may reduce oil consumption by the rods not throwing as much oil on the cyl walls, but all in all it's a well worn engine that will continue to run for some time.

If, however, you pulled the main to assess the general condition of things, the motor is tired and will take a major overhaul to bring it to the like new performance.

Steve g
The engine is not mine. I think they were going for a rear main seal replacement only, but decided to check out the bearings while they were in there.

Sounds like a roll of the dice with anything but an overhaul.

Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:23 PM
smearig
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you want to do with it?
It's a 17 y/o kid's first truck to get him back and forth to a job at a carwash until the end of the summer when he's enlisting in the Army.

Why did you take it apart?
It had a terrible leak (pools 6"-12" in diameter) from the valve cover gaskets, oil pan and rear main seal. We replaced all that and now I'm trying to make sure this thing can last a few months. I suppose it would be an option to drop the crank and slap in some new bearings for $30, but that's getting to the ragged edge of my engine experience.

if all you wanted was for it to run for another 30 thousand you can probably just replace all the bearings and button it up. It won't run any better other than the oil pressure will be a bit better, might be a bit quieter, may reduce oil consumption by the rods not throwing as much oil on the cyl walls.
Good info, thanks.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:40 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Throw a set of standard main and rod bearings in it (if they are originals) and button it up. Might get him through the summer, Might run another 50,000, Might blow up in 50 miles or not even crank. Pretty cheap and not a lot of work since it is already opened up. JMHO
Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Steve2147
Pro

Originally Posted by smearig
It's a 17 y/o kid's first truck to get him back and forth to a job at a carwash until the end of the summer when he's enlisting in the Army.

It had a terrible leak (pools 6"-12" in diameter) from the valve cover gaskets, oil pan and rear main seal. We replaced all that and now I'm trying to make sure this thing can last a few months. I suppose it would be an option to drop the crank and slap in some new bearings for $30, but that's getting to the ragged edge of my engine experience.

Good info, thanks.

You may have a hard time getting the rear main to stop leaking with the bearing that bad. It'll be flowing a lot of oil out that main.

You don't drop the crank to replace the bearings. You roll them in. Small amount of skill req'd. Need a torque wrench and know how to use it. You've already done the hardest part of the job.

Steve g
Old 03-10-2012, 11:26 AM
bpassmore
Racer

with Steve 100%, At this point in the engine life cycle and the limited usage, it is the only economical path. Roll in the new bearings, but might think of a new oil pump. Those items are cheap.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine guys - Bearing pic - how bad is it?

Old 03-10-2012, 12:06 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Throw a set of standard main and rod bearings in it (if they are originals) and button it up. Might get him through the summer, Might run another 50,000, Might blow up in 50 miles or not even crank. Pretty cheap and not a lot of work since it is already opened up. JMHO
Good advice
Old 03-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Steve2147
Pro

Originally Posted by 63mako
In the name of instilling confidence rather than fear and uncertainty, my engine or yours might blow up in 50 miles. This engine might have blown up in 50 miles had he not taken it apart. The chances of it blowing up in 50 miles are immensely reduced with new bearings. If it does, it won't likely be due to a spun bearing.

Done with just the smallest amount of care, all that the job warrants, can't see how it might not even crank. Not something someone should lose any sleep over.

Read the back of the bearings to determine if standard or under. There is a tool you stick into the crank oil passage to push the shell out as you rotate the crank, but I just use a cut off nail with a large enough head that it won't go into the oil hole and thinner than the shell thickness.Clean everything up and oil only the bearing surface side of the bearings. Don't knick the crank.

Plastigage ($2) at install. If you're under .003 and over .0005 (won't be)you're fine. If you are approaching .003 you might consider a high volume pump to compensate. Pretty much same price as reg volume. Loosen all mains, but only do one at a time. Do each rod one at a time. Ensure caps go on oriented as you took them off. Locking tabs on the bearings will be on the same side when installed correctly. Torque to spec.

Steve g
Old 03-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Polish the crank add new bearings and an oil pump and button it up.

Quick Reply: Engine guys - Bearing pic - how bad is it?