C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much cam walk does a 327 have is .030 enough between the timing chain and block.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Dave27
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much cam walk does a 327 have is .030 enough between the timing chain and block.

You may have read my other post about switching to a double roller on my 327/350HP engine. I clearanced the block in 1 spot that was .003 or less to give it approx .030 clearance. Is that enough will a cam move inward more then that while running a stock cover with no adjustable cam button on the front. now that i think about it the front cam button would play no part because it would be ok if the cam walked out a bit that would just provide more clearance. I was told by a circle track racer on hard excelleration the cam moves foward and not backward anyway because of the way the distributor and cam spin so he said I'm fine,what do you guys think.Thanks.....Dave
Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Mark Riles
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're fine.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave27
...I was told by a circle track racer on hard excelleration the cam moves foward and not backward anyway because of the way the distributor and cam spin so he said I'm fine,what do you guys think.Thanks.....Dave
I'm afraid that's incorrect...
1. Looking at the engine towards the front of the engine, the engine rotates clockwise as does the cam.
2. The cam is centered in the block, but the distributor is to the passenger side of the cam's dist gear.
3. The side of the cam's gear that engages the dist gear is moving upwards.
4. The angle of the distributor gear teeth causes clockwise rotation of the distributor shaft and forces the distributor shaft upwards against its housing.
5. The angle of the distributor gear teeth also forces the camshaft back into the block.
6. The torque applied through these gears is that which is required to turn the oil pump.
7. Also, the very slight angle on the cam lobes (back edge of the lobe is very slightly taller than the front edge) helps lifters force the cam rearward.
8. The cam is restrained from going farther into the block by the upper timing gear which bears against the #1 cam bearing boss.

The only time forces are such to move the cam to move forward are during deceleration.

Last edited by larrywalk; 03-08-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Dave27
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok that is allot better explanation than he gave me So as long as the cam gear is against cam bearing boss or the gap is less then the clearance between the chain and block there is no way it could ever rub the block with the chain....Thanks.....Dave
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I was also concern with the same issue.Used this timing gear set with bronze thrust washer.It was also ez to advance the cam 4 deg for better low end.http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...20411/10002/-1

Last edited by iokepakai; 03-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How much cam walk does a 327 have is .030 enough between the timing chain and block.

Quick Reply: How much cam walk does a 327 have is .030 enough between the timing chain and block.