C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question:

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Stupid question:

This may be a stupid question, but this is the first time for me at a cam change. Do I or should I get a NEW fuel pump push rod when changing out my cam? The new one's "say" they are lighter. But does it really matter? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:18 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Ya know, I've been wondering the same thing. They say that you shouldn't re-use old lifters with a new cam, but what about the fuel pump pushrod? I think the only real difference would be that the fuel pump lobe on the cam isn't egg-shaped like the lobes meant to lift valves, it's more of an off-center circle, and the forces involved are not as severe as lifting a valve with a valve spring, so I could understand if it were not an issue, but I have never heard anybody say anything either way about it.

Offhand, I would guess that a lighter fuel pump pushrod wouldn't really be worth a whole lot, as far as freeing up extra power. I would enjoy hearing from someone who knows what they're talking about, who could square me and daanbc away on this issue, or non-issue, whichever the case may be.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 03-10-2012, 02:50 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've always used the same fuel pump pushrod with never any problems. Nowhere near the load on the cam from that as there is with the valvetrain. Lube it all up good and get busy.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:10 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Dave. I reused my old one. I did mark the cam end and pump end however for proper reinstallation. If there is no wear on either end that you can feel with your fingernail or while rubbing a penny across the wear surfaces then it should be ok. Lube with cam break-in lube or a little grease. mike...
Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks guys.

Scottyp99, "They" say that a "lighter" pushrod does not have the "float" so it delivers better performance. My thinking is = when ever I install these push rods, there is never any play in them. So how much "float" could there be?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

i'd be awful leary of re-using lifters on a different cam anymore with the oils we have these days.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is NP in reusing your pump rod, the loading is so small you will not have any problems. The light rods are a good thing but not needed on a street engine. The floating statement means the pump rod can float off the cam eccentric as the only load it has is the spring in the fuel pump to keep it in contact with the cam. So lighter pump rod the higher RPM it takes to "float " the pump rod.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
Who is they you speak of?

My Chevy Power service manual states:
The "they" that I am referring to is The International Brotherhood of Piano Tuners, Ballet Dancers, and Valvetrain Maintenance Technicians (or, the IBPTBDVMT, for short. Their knowledge about piano tuning and ballet dancing is a little spotty, if you ask me, but they are really on the ball when it comes to valvetrains!)

What is the context of your quote from the Chevy Power service manual (or, the CPSM, for short)? Are they talking about re-using lifters in an engine overhaul using the original cam, or re-using them on a new cam? Not trying to argue with you, just trying to clarify.

Just FYI, the IBPTBDVMT says you should always use new lifters with a new cam, but they also say you can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish, so maybe it should be taken with a grain of salt. And if there is any salt left over, can I have some for my popcorn?

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 03-10-2012, 03:38 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default That's a very good question really.

I never gave it much thought before. But an inspection is minimum for any used or even new part.

IMHO i would give the old p-rod a visual for scoring/abuse. Then I would install and try and wobble it in place. I recall mine in my Hecho in Mehico crate with <35k mi had zero play. Anything more the minutest play while i the bore i would look to replace with new and try again to compare. And it could be the bore hole in the block is worn as that's the softer metal.

Hope this can help,
cardo0
Old 03-10-2012, 03:54 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Yes it all helps, especially from the IBPTBDVMT!! They know there shitz.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cardo0
I never gave it much thought before. But an inspection is minimum for any used or even new part.

IMHO i would give the old p-rod a visual for scoring/abuse. Then I would install and try and wobble it in place. I recall mine in my Hecho in Mehico crate with <35k mi had zero play. Anything more the minutest play while i the bore i would look to replace with new and try again to compare. And it could be the bore hole in the block is worn as that's the softer metal.

Hope this can help,
cardo0

Just for people to know it is the hard parts that wear more than a soft part. The reasons for the crazy sounding thing is the soft part embeds dirt and such and acts as a file on the hard parts!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:47 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

I have reused the rods with no problems, just check for mushromed ends.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:47 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

To the OP. I would probably change it out for the few bucks it cost. There are no stupid questions, Just stupid answers. Like this one.

Quote: Good used lifters that still retain some crown or convex curvature across the bottom are very satisfactory.

I am sure this quote was taken out of context. If your not changing out the cam you can reuse the lifters if they and the lobes on the cam show no visible wear and they are used in the exact same bores they were removed from. This would be the only case. A new cam install requires new lifters. Period, end of story.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:02 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks, I said to myself that I was going to buy a new one anyway. (The last time I placed mine back in after a fuel pump change, I noticed a mark on the side of it, I guess from tightening the bolt to hold it a little to much?) For $12-19 I would be foolish not to, since I'm spending the $$ anyway. But I thought I'd ask the question anyway because I never read about it.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Hey, If you want to sand the bottom of a 35 year old used set of lifters with 600 grit sandpaper and try to reuse them breaking in a new cam have at it. That book was published in 1976. In 1976 GM built these engines, never broke in the cams and sold the cars to people that started them up, drove off the lot and ran them hard with very few failures. The cam lobe designs, ramp rates and lift on modern cams are drasticly different than they were 35 years ago as well as the oil formulations. With the frequency of wiped lobes breaking in flat tappet cams today even when everything is new, correctly set up, correctly broken in with high zddp oil why would you even consider this? A new set of lifters is about $50 if you buy them with the cam. This is NOT the place to try and save $50.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Michael MacPherson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you guys know that in Ohio some people think the speed limit should stil be 55 mph. Most of us think they are narrow minded, and can't see from other peoples point of view. I guess this discussion depends on your budget and your luck. My 2 cents... Mike
Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

If you are changing the cam to a ROLLER CAM - then you need to change out the fuel pump rod to one with a bronze tip. Otherwise no.

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid question:

Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by couperdecar
If you are changing the cam to a ROLLER CAM - then you need to change out the fuel pump rod to one with a bronze tip. Otherwise no.
No, no roller cam, thanks for the "lookin out" appreciated. I didn't know I was going to cause a stir asking about a "fuel pump push rod". Guess thats why nobody has ever asked. Sorry guys for all this mess.

I'm getting the Comp.Cam XE268H (12-242-12)
Crane-Anti-pump-up Lifters.
Cloyes 9-1100T timing chain.
A 8 lb chrome/polished water pump.
The "famous" fuel push rod.
And thinking of getting a Lifter Valley baffle tray.

I already have a Weiand polished "street warrior"
Quadrajet tuned.
Distrib. done by "LARS"
Long tube headers into true dual exhast w/Flow master 44's.
Under drive pulleys.
Dual L-82 intake with a "EXTREME" cover.
Trans-Pak in the tranny.
All emission equipment removed.

With what I have done so far, the car is a totally different vehicle from when I first brought it home. The addition of the cam I'm thinking will perk it up just a little.

Thank you to ALL FORUM members who have helped me and gave advise over this past 18 Months. I appreciate it very much!!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 PM
63mako
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Well, did I take it out of context or not? Did I make it up out of thin blue sky or did I quote GM engineers verbatim?

Obviously, if I bought an aftermarket cam and the manufacturer said I must use their lifters or their warranty is VOID, I would follow their advise. DUH

But in my 44 years of building Chevy V8's, I didn't always have new aftermarket speed equipment in my budget. I bought a hundred times more stuff over the Chevy parts counter. And I put those parts together myself using the tips and techniques learned from reading books like the Chevy Power Manual and those of Henry 'Smokey' Yunick and Bill 'Grumpy' Jenkins.

What is the overwhelming suggestion from reading these pages? Order a crate engine then write the BIG check. Sure, that's the quick and easy way. But not for me.

Did I ever put 600 grit abrasive paper to the face of a lifter? Absolutely. Did I ever reuse lifters that had the convex bottom needed to insure that the lifters rotate in their bores? Absolutely. And never had a valve train problem by doing so. I'm old. I'm old school. I mostly use old school parts.

The newest ultra high lift cams and sky high valve spring rates need specialized assembly techniques, no doubt about it. If I needed more horsepower than what GM's engineers designed in the late 60's and early 70's, I'd skip right over them and go the roller lifter route. I hear they can be reused without any drama from those know-it-alls at the IBPTBDVMT.
Im old, Im old school.I use mostly old school parts. My car has a tripower on it. That is old school. That said times change and engineers make discoveries as time progresses. The original piston rings were hemp packing. Engineers at the time thought this was the best option available. We don't use them anymore. Originally there was no such thing as rod or main bearings. or pressurized lubrication. These items have now been the norm for 80 years. I agree with you that if I need more power than the GM engineers designed I would go right past modern flat tappet cams to roller. It makes sense from an engineering standpoint. I understand you were quoting from a source you have always deemed reliable and I did not want to come off as confrontational. That said engineers have come to the realization since the advent of roller lifters that the ramp design makes more power and all the manufacturers have redesigned their cam lobe profiles to take advantage of the additional power and streetability using faster ramps. The cam designs of the 60's and 70's are no longer available. Even the "blueprint" cams have a shorter distance between advertised duration and duration @ .050. (IE redesigned lobes). Cam failures are more common now than in the past for a variety of reasons and the modern engineering viewpoint is new lifters are required with a new cam.
Crane: First sentance in bold red:
http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/214e.pdf
Lunati:
http://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Cams/CamLifters.aspx
and:
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...al/INST150.pdf
Comp:
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/In.../Files/145.pdf
Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

My post was directed at Mr. scottyp99. He suggested my quote was taken out of context.
I went through all the trouble of scanning, cropping, photo hosting and posting them to show that I did no such thing.

Your 4 links proved my point that aftermarket camshaft manufacturers ALL require, not only new lifters, but ofttimes THEIR brand of new lifters to keep the warranty intact. I never said otherwise.

I was under the impression that certain cam grinders would grind ANY custom cam profile, for a price. Am I wrong?
Well, Mr. 69 Chevy, I am afraid that I am going to have to deny that accusation. I did not suggest any such thing. I didn't suggest that the quote was taken out of context, I just asked what the context was. Big difference there, and I think any reasonable person who read my post would be able to see that. For reference, here is the direct quote of my question:

"What is the context of your quote from the Chevy Power service manual (or, the CPSM, for short)? Are they talking about re-using lifters in an engine overhaul using the original cam, or re-using them on a new cam? Not trying to argue with you, just trying to clarify."

I just cut-n-pasted it, so you'll have to take my word for it that I haven't modified it in any way. However, anybody who is interested can go take a look at post #9 and see that it has not been edited.

I do appreciate the trouble you went through to answer my question, (thank you, by the way) but really, if you had simply said "The CPSM says it's ok for a new cam.", I would have taken your word for it. I really don't understand what you're getting all bent out of shape about.

Keep the shiny side up
Scott

Quick Reply: Stupid question: