C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 steering column cover cap removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 PM
ocala78pacecar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 steering column cover cap removal

I have a loose turn signal (high/low bean) lever and would like to see that is going on while I have the column out. I have pictues of it, but nothing that I have saw said how to take it off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jerry
Old 03-19-2012, 10:59 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i think this is the biggest pain in the **** there is to do........if you get to the point of total despair (like i did) you can take an old floor mounted dimmer switch and with some trimming of the wiring harness tabs it will plug into the new wiring harness and then you just mount the switch on the floor under the carpet and cut out a hole in the carpet.

my despair came becasue i was never able to figure out how to disconnect the lever from the stalk to the switch to replace it. good luck, bob
Old 03-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by ocala78pacecar
I have a loose turn signal (high/low bean) lever and would like to see that is going on while I have the column out. I have pictues of it, but nothing that I have saw said how to take it off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jerry
It's a b****. lol

Most likely the dimmer pivot is worn, and you'll have to order a new pivot. It's held on with a pressed in pin (or screw, in early 78s. Your pace car is not likely early enough. Mine is a 100 series and had the roll pin.)

You know how far apart you had it to change the ignition cylinder? You have to go just a little bit further. Take the three screws out and pull the housing back. You'll have to devise a way to get it out. Probably a c-clamp, slightly smaller roll pin and socket would be the ticket.

Good luck.

You can see the pivot (aluminum piece with roll pin through it) in that photo, about 11 o'clock.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 AM
ocala78pacecar
Intermediate

Thanks Guys, I ment to say that I had drawings of it, but no pictures. Shark that a great picture, were you able to get the tilt lever cover off where you could see the other side of the lever and switch? Thanks Jerry
Old 03-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes, I ended up holding the assembly in my lap (column cover with dimmer still attached) and had my wife drive it out with a hammer and punch. I reinstalled the roll pin from the back, using a C-clamp.

That yellow piece that the dimmer actuates is just a piece of molded plastic that actuates the dimmer switch via a long rod.

I HIGHLY recommend removing the column from the car for this, it will be infinitely easier.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:14 PM
ocala78pacecar
Intermediate

Thanks, Shark, I did that and I am just waiting one on part to put it back in the car. Thanks Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To 78 steering column cover cap removal

Quick Reply: 78 steering column cover cap removal