C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Zapawaf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring questions

Hi guys, I'm back in NH and my 79 is back in FL with my Dad.
I don't have much to go off of other then a few pics and what he says so bare with me because I'm not 100% sure what he wants, so I'm just going to post exactly what he messaged me.

"Here are some pix for you to ask the vette forums for advice: Notice the yellow connects to the wire that connects to the distributor. That one has no power to it. The red wire (10gauge it seems) has power when the key is turned but as you can see it goes to nothing. So, see what you can figure out, your books don't show much. The motor turns and fuel is getting to carb but won't start. Gotta be a power/timing trouble. So, see what you can find out. The only thing standing in the way now.

Not sure what this is

As u can c the wire connects to the right

more views

The red wire only fits on one side.

The harness

see

You can see the red (hot wire) appears to go to nothing

Have fun and let me know

~~~~~~~~~~~~
So that's all his wording and that's exactly how it was sent to me, if anyone has any ideas please let me know, thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The red wire with the power goes to the "BAT" connection on the distributor cap. The brown wire from the little cylinder (tach filter) goes to the "TACH" connection on the distributor cap and there is another tan wire that connects to the double connector on the little cylinder. It should be in line with the brown wire from the little cylinder.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Zapawaf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, sorry bout the delayed response, I've been busy with work, haven't been on here much.

His response was

"there is only one brown wire. As you should be able to see, the other wire is yellow. I believe that goes inside to tach. The problem is (unless the old distributor is reversed, or a wire is missing) the harness doesn't fit (see the pix). Oh well, maybe I'll try again on the weekend.

What "double connector on the little cylinder" are you talking about? Does the forum have a picture?"

Followed by today he messaged me

"Hey, tried starting car again, this time doesn't even attempt to turn.. I have juice going to generator, distributor and starter. The only thing I can think of is that you have to have the clutch depressed before it starts. Not sure how to trouble shoot that
I wish you didn't need to do that to start it. Assuming it is in neutral it doesn't try to start that way. Since I have juice going to everything, I am stumped. Let me know."

Any ideas?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:19 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

First pic is the connections at the distributor. The pink wire with the white connector is the power to the coil inside the distributor cap. The brown connector goes to the tach filter (the little cylinder)

The second pic is what I called the double connector. It is attached to the other side of the tach filter. The wire plugged into it goes through the firewall to the tach. On my '76 that wire is light brown.

I hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring questions

Quick Reply: Wiring questions