C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding polishing & the paint...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:36 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Default Question regarding polishing & the paint...

I have a Porter Cable 724 polisher and love it! I started to use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and IT REALLY WORKS!! The paint really looks deep and has an excellent shine. Here's the question....On my door, I saw that I had ALOT of tiny scratches...all going in the same direction. It looks like it has gone through an automatic car wash (AND IT NEVER HAS!) and the side brushes just played hell with the paint. That's what the scratches look like.

When I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, those scratches disappeared (and I looked at it with a paint light and then the sunlight...scratches gone)...UNTIL I started to put a coat of wax on the door and they all became visable again!. I must have compounded that door at least 5 more times and applied the wax afterwards and got the same results....all the scratches disappeared and then become visable!

What would cause this and how would I correct it? I know the door looks good now, but I would like to put a coat of wax. The rest of the car looks great after I apply the wax...it's just door where I'm having this problem. I even tried 3 different waxes...same results.

HELP!

Last edited by vetteguy75; 03-24-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on how deep the scratches are, you may need to wet sand the area or just get a more aggressive cutting compound. You might want to practice on something else before attempting it for your first time on the car. There are plenty of you tube videos that can give you some pointers on how this is done.

I usually end with 2000 wet sanding and then move to the PC 7424 and finish it with some cutting compound - depending on how much of a scratch I am working on.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

They're not deep at all. In fact, when I run my fingernail across the scratched area, I don't feel any of the scratches....
Old 03-25-2012, 01:49 AM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not familiar with their ultimate compound or where it falls in their line. They usually have a number to let you know how harsh the cutting is. Get some of their medium cut and then follow up with what you have been using. I use medium cut and follow that with mirror glaze and then wax.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...Abrasive-Chart

Here is a chart on the abrasive qualities of polishing/compounding products. It looks like what you have is pretty aggressive but you may need to go to the M105 to get those pesky scratches out.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

What color of pad and brand? what speed?

I usually can use the Meg's #83, 5.5 inch orange pad, setting on 6 to remove most marks. Then follow up with finishing polish, then wax. I dropped down to a compound only once and that was to remove scratches left when branches fell on a car.

You might want to post your question on the "car care discussion forum".
Post your process & pics. Stop putting wax on it since you will need to remove it.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:48 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

NEVER take any car (that you care about, anyway) through an automatic car wash using nylon or stiff fiber bristles. If you want to use a drive-through car wash, select one with slow moving carpet strip washers or, better yet, one with rotating nozzles that never touch the paint.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:41 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 649 Likes on 347 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Have you tried hand waxing the door w/ just straight strokes. It takes a real pro to handle a buffer especialy w/ the coarser compounds and darker colors. What color is your car? I would proceed w/ caution, its very easy to make this worse, the advice to practice on something else is very wise !
Old 03-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Since the rest of the car does not have this problem, is it possible this door has been repainted and you are seeing sandpaper scratches in the primer?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

is that porter cable a random orbital polisher? if you use the meguiars Glaze in the brown/tan bottle with the finest foam pad you will not see any white residue left any where and it doesn't dry white. i dont even use anything other then a spray wax that you wipe on and wipe off after using the glaze. the glaze is really good stuff and for many years i just used that with no wax. the glaze makes it look so good that i saw no need for the wax ( it does spend alot of time in doors anyways)

Last edited by bobs77vet; 03-25-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question regarding polishing & the paint...

Quick Reply: Question regarding polishing & the paint...