C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had a Holley nightmare like this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 PM
nonracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
It isn't on a 4 barrel. Can be easily done with the main body still bolted to the intake with plenty of room to spare. No so with tri-power except the front carb.

Never said it was a 4 barrel in fact if read my post it stated that its a pain on a tripower. I know Ive worked on plenty of them. If you have nothing to help the person asking questions dont bother posting.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not a bother.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Trip 69
69Chevy...that manifold is different than mine. What was it on?Thanx
Not sure. Copied from here: http://www.cranescorvette.com/tri_powers.htm

4 pages of tripower info.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I`m lazy and if a needle and seat is the problem which I suspect that it is, I blow air into the fuel inlet in any convenient place to separate the line between the pump and carb/carbs. The carb with the problem will have the seat open and blow the obstruction out......works with all manifolds 1. 2, 3, 4, or whatever......

like my little 289......

Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Trip 69
Advanced

427 Hotrod...thanks a buch. I took your shortcut and pinched the fuel line going into the pump. Started it up and feathered like crazy. Removed the pinch and started her up.
Smooth as silk, Rog wicked happy. Checked all my float bowl levels. They were all still perfect.
Gotta love this forum!!! THANKS
Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 PM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Trip 69
427 Hotrod...thanks a buch. I took your shortcut and pinched the fuel line going into the pump. Started it up and feathered like crazy. Removed the pinch and started her up.
Smooth as silk, Rog wicked happy. Checked all my float bowl levels. They were all still perfect.
Gotta love this forum!!! THANKS
Good to hear you didn't have to resort to this suggestion:

Sounds like a float got stuck just pull the bowls off and reset them. I know its pain with the tripower but its got to be done.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 AM
nonracer
Instructor

Good to hear you didn't have to resort to this suggestion:
Yeah because to you its a major "radical" event to remove some carbs.
At least it was an actual suggestion and not just someone posting pics of carbs off someone elses website who obviously has never worked on them.Your the typical forum know-it-all who actually knows nothing.Im glad the guy didnt have to take them apart but if he did no big deal he would have seen how much crap is in the bowls which may in fact still be there I do things right the first time and not take shortcuts.Stop posting negative comments about peoples suggestions just because you dont agree with them.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nonracer
Yeah because to you its a major "radical" event to remove some carbs.
At least it was an actual suggestion and not just someone posting pics of carbs off someone elses website who obviously has never worked on them.Your the typical forum know-it-all who actually knows nothing.Im glad the guy didnt have to take them apart but if he did no big deal he would have seen how much crap is in the bowls which may in fact still be there I do things right the first time and not take shortcuts.Stop posting negative comments about peoples suggestions just because you dont agree with them.
You did make an actual suggestion. To me, it should only be taken as a last resort...way to involved with all the fuel feed piping and the throttle linkages. Not to mention the likelyhood of having to replace all 3 carb to manifold gaskets.

Correct me if I'm off base here...aren't 2300 Holley carb float bowls similar in design, function and repair than those used in models 4150/4160?

So, are you saying that Trip 69 actually took a cheap shortcut route and his fix is only temporary because he did not follow your
...just pull the bowls off and reset them. I know its pain with the tripower but it's got to be done?
Old 04-07-2012, 05:15 PM
nonracer
Instructor

You did make an actual suggestion. To me, it should only be taken as a last resort...way to involved with all the fuel feed piping and the throttle linkages. Not to mention the likelyhood of having to replace all 3 carb to manifold gaskets.

Correct me if I'm off base here...aren't 2300 Holley carb float bowls similar in design, function and repair than those used in models 4150/4160?

So, are you saying that Trip 69 actually took a cheap shortcut route and his fix is only temporary because he did not follow your
Not saying he took a cheap shortcut just saying there is a possibilty that the problem could happen again if the cause was dirt/rust/debris in the needle and seat. Taking the bowls off would alllow him to inspect what was actualy in there and could maybe lead to the root of the problem or maybe not but now there is no way of knowing.Your correct the about the float bowls and I agrree maybe I should have written " should take the bowls off" instaed of "its got to be done" but I dont think its a "last resort" especially when you consider leaking fuel in the engine compartment if this was to happen on the road a serious fire could start then what? Goodbye corvette !! none of us would want that to happen Id rather be safe than sorry. Dont be so quick to disagree with someones suggetions just because you dont think its right they are meant to help not start arguments. If I suggested to throw away the carbs and buy new ones I could see where you might say thats just stupid but to take 1-2 hours to remove,clean,inspect,and replace the carbs is not a last resort idea.

Lets just agree to disagree and end the thread.

Last edited by nonracer; 04-07-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone had a Holley nightmare like this?