C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question. Autocross Wheels and tires

Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 PM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default question. Autocross Wheels and tires

What are the limits for tire size to autocross 74?

I'm looking for combo's that I can run on the street and at autocross events once or twice a year. I'll be a casual autocrosser

I have offset TA's in the back currently.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by 74 vert
What are the limits for tire size to autocross 74?

I'm looking for combo's that I can run on the street and at autocross events once or twice a year. I'll be a casual autocrosser

I have offset TA's in the back currently.
You really need to decide which class you will be running in. In stock class you'll be restricted to 8" wide rim in 15" diameter...

"Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following: it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed (including wheel spacers if applicable) it does not have an offset more than +/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed."
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ules_March.pdf

If you are wanting to run a larger diameter rim or wider, you'll need to change classes. Some of these classes are incredibly competitive so pick one carefully. Probably the best advice is to simply attend a few events in your area and talk to some of the folks that run in the different classes you may want to run in.

You can also check in with the folks on the Autocrossing & Roadracing Forum and see what they have to say.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...roadracing-23/

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 04-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You want SERIOUS STICK? Kuhmo V710 or Hooser A6 tires, both are DOT legal but, I wouldn't drive to an event on them. You can get Hoosiers in R6 (road race) compound in 275/50/15 for stock wheels, or any type in 16/17/18 wheels.

Kuhmo XS, Nitto 555 are some of the more streetable tires or if your a Mega Millions winner, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires like on the new Z06/Zr1 track package (also Porsche GT-3)

You better own a tire pyrometer and know how to get proper alignment/inflation settings from that pyrometer's readings before equipping your Vette with sticky tires.

If your going out for the 1st time, run on your street tires and get seat time, that is what counts the most, most competitors are friendly, talk with them and see what they are running, they only shut up when you start beating them : )
Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 AM
74 vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Where are the Smoky Mountain Cruisers? Not Correctly Restored Stingray
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
You really need to decide which class you will be running in. In stock class you'll be restricted to 8" wide rim in 15" diameter...

"Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following: it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed (including wheel spacers if applicable) it does not have an offset more than +/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car. The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed."
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ules_March.pdf

If you are wanting to run a larger diameter rim or wider, you'll need to change classes. Some of these classes are incredibly competitive so pick one carefully. Probably the best advice is to simply attend a few events in your area and talk to some of the folks that run in the different classes you may want to run in.

You can also check in with the folks on the Autocrossing & Roadracing Forum and see what they have to say.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...roadracing-23/

Good luck... GUSTO
Thanks. I don't think I can run stock with my current exhaust, jet-hot side hookers, and rear duel mount spring that's already on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To question. Autocross Wheels and tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: question. Autocross Wheels and tires