C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Terry1218
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice.

I'm putting the intake manifold back on my '78 after probably 2 years. I have come across a maybe 1/2 inch wide by 8 inch braided ground wire which I haven't a clue where it goes. Also at the electrical hookup on my HEI distributor. I have an extra thin red wire with a clip, The fat red one is in the bat. side and a thin wellow on the tach side. Don't remember where this stuff goes?? Any help? Terry1218
Old 04-13-2012, 04:48 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

The extra wire probably goes to the tach filter that was attached to the right side just aft of the carb. The ground strap goes under the right rear intake bolt. I'd have to look to be sure since it's been a while since I messed with it. Is it a small flat braided cable maybe 1/2 inches wide or one about 3/4 inches or more wide?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Terry1218
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Casey, When you say aft of the carb, do you mean that little solenoid toward the front(radiator) and to the left of the carb? I think we are talkin about the 1/2 inch ground strap. But where does the other end go? (After I bolt it back on the intake?) Thank you sir. Are you a train guy by any chance? I love them.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

No, the tach filter is a small canister with wires coming out both ends mounted on a bracket just to the right rear of the carb. To be honest, I'm not sure where the strap goes. Mine is missing also but I found one laying loose in the channel at the base of the windshield where Bubba left it after replacing the windshield wiper motor. Yes, I am also a train guy. N, HO, and Lionel O gauge from 'way back. I have a 1956 Virginian set that my dad bought me for my first Christmas but HO is my favorite.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Without going out and looking I believe there's a red wire that goes to the wiper motor. Connects to a terminal OR short pigtail coming out of the black plastic cover. Only on the delay motor.

The braided strap is probably the one that goes to the plastic distributer cover. Other end goes to the pass side upper rear valve cover bolt.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some advice.

Quick Reply: Need some advice.