C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake issue question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 03:50 PM
MacVette86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake issue question

I've done a lot of research on this forum about C3 brakes and the various issues. My vette has been pulling to the right when I brake, so I took off both front wheels to inspect the calipers. It was very obvious that the drivers side caliper is leaking and not working properly as there is old brake fluid build up around the back of the inner pad and the rotor has surface rust in it.

My question is, it seems from reading about all the issues with brakes on this forum that it may not be worth it to fix the existing brakes, but instead I should just replace them with aftermarket brakes like Willwood. I really don't want to deal with brake issue every year, will the aftermarket be more reliable and maintenance free?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:04 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easier to bleed them to.I ditched the mastercylinder in favor of the wilwood version.The system will now gravity bleed on its own.I never could get the factory calibers to.Even with the newer o ringed pistons.Maybe you will have better luck with them than I did.Took me 30 minutes to bleed them after changing over.I can now move on to something else.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:07 PM
ATIS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I replaced mine a few days ago with regualr parts store calipers (if I had to do it again I would go SS but I needed to have brakes to get her tot he body shop to get teh front and rear bumper covers painted and replaced). I used a power bleeder and that made a big difference in bleeding them. I now have good brakes, no brake warning light, and the the peddle might feel a little softer then my mustangs I can stop without issue and I do get stopping power after 1 inch of peddle travel.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:37 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Nothing wrong with the factory brakes, but you have to get stainless steel sleeved calipers. If you do, you'll get ten years out of them. If you don't have stainless steel brakes, you'll be lucky to get two.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:14 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MacVette86

My question is, it seems from reading about all the issues with brakes on this forum that it may not be worth it to fix the existing brakes, but instead I should just replace them with aftermarket brakes like Willwood. I really don't want to deal with brake issue every year, will the aftermarket be more reliable and maintenance free?
You can spend your money any way you want to, but if you use the stainless steel sleeved calipers. there will be no maintenance issues.

Originally Posted by rugerm44
Easier to bleed them to.I ditched the mastercylinder in favor of the wilwood version.The system will now gravity bleed on its own.I never could get the factory calibers to.Even with the newer o ringed pistons.Maybe you will have better luck with them than I did.Took me 30 minutes to bleed them after changing over.I can now move on to something else.
I've been able to gravity bleed my stock calipers ever since I bought the car in '79. I switched to stainless calipers in '86.

Originally Posted by ATIS
I replaced mine a few days ago with regualr parts store calipers (if I had to do it again I would go SS
I'm pretty sure the caliper you bought were stainless sleeved. They don't make new ones anymore, so any that you buy will be remanufactured with the sleeves.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MacVette86
...My question is, it seems from reading about all the issues with brakes on this forum that it may not be worth it to fix the existing brakes, but instead I should just replace them with aftermarket brakes like Willwood. I really don't want to deal with brake issue every year, will the aftermarket be more reliable and maintenance free?...
Probably not, but certainly more expensive.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:45 PM
petty44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going thru this again also,,, just got my wilwood front calipers in red,, they are great and light weight, I had rebuilt O'reilly's on the front and they to were leaking again I'm hoping this will be the last time with the front brakes. very pricey but they are nice, got them from Summit

Get notified of new replies

To Brake issue question

Quick Reply: Brake issue question