C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 11:38 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition questions

Is it nessisary for the coil body itself to be grounded to the motor? Could I mount the coil up on the firewall(fiberglass), without it actually being grounded?

What is the little cylindrical thingy on the side of the coil bracket? It has one wire leading to the positive side of the coil. What is its purpose and can I run without it? Would there be any ill side effects by removing it?

Also im getting good spark comming from the coil wire itself, but very little or no spark comming from the plug wire. I assume the problem is inside the dist. Might be a bad pertronix ignitor. Any other internal dist conditions that would cause weak spark at the end of plug wire? Cap and rotor are in good shape and dist and engine are grounded to the frame well.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:43 PM
Scott78
Drifting

Default Re: Ignition questions (Jvette73)

The coil body doesn't need to be grounded, the cylindrical item is to cut down on radio interference noise I suspect. If spark is good from the coil the rotor and cap are probably bad or plug wires could have to much resistance.
Scott
Old 05-21-2002, 08:25 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Ignition questions (Scott78)

Turned out to be a bad Pertronix Ignitor II. I put in the original Ignitor and she fired right up instantly. Thanks for the reply.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition questions

Quick Reply: Ignition questions