C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exterior Door handle spring

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I wanted to thank sweet76 for his generous offer, I truly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
I'll let you know if I don't have any luck with McMaster Carr. I found several options and the pricing is like $1.00 each which is cheap.

I want to keep my original handles since I'm the original owner so I only need the springs. Let me know if you want to sell only the springs for both sides with shipping to 14304. If so please pm me a price. If I can't find a good match on McMaster Carr, you'll be my back up unless the price is right on yours.

I guess I have couple options:
  • Purchase the new handles from Wilcox, $19.00 each and only use the spring.
  • Got stock rod from Lemans Blue and make my own
  • Take up dead end cruisers offer and use those springs
  • Find a good replacement on McMasterr-Carr for $1.00 and bend over the ends to grab onto the arm.
Thanks again for your help.
Ok, so I understand wanting to keep your original handles, but I just ordered the $19.00 ones from Wilcox and they are pretty nice. Not quite the same as original but very good. This was after I ordered the wrong spring from Ecklers of course. This spring is not to be found and will be difficult to re-install over the old handle if you find a replacement. Just go ahead and order the handle from Wilcox for anyone else who is having this issue.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Wrong spring, (I think)

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Thanks for the reply 78anniversary, I noticed that one but it doesn't seem to have the same bends at the end to hook over (interlock/grab) the arms like the one in the images I posted. Also it seem to be wound about 5 times in the OEM yet around 10 in the aftermarket as well as the aftermarket seems to have a smaller inside diameter.

I do however need the spring to stop the handle from sagging.

Wilcox,
MMVLF,

With all due respect, I think you are wrong. The spring in your opening picture is NOT the spring that holds the "flap" up, but one that keeps the external lever pushed against the "piston" that is part of the hinged external handle (or flap, as I call it).

The spring that 78 Anniversary showed you is, I believe, the CORRECT one, but it fits INSIDE the hinged outer flap and rides on the pivot pin for the flap. There is even an explanation given of how to remove that pin, and therefore spring, and this is what I think you need to do.

Just grab a hold of one of the outer door handles, depress the flap, and you will see the spring. If I'm wrong, I humbly apologise.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
MMVLF,

With all due respect, I think you are wrong. The spring in your opening picture is NOT the spring that holds the "flap" up, but one that keeps the external lever pushed against the "piston" that is part of the hinged external handle (or flap, as I call it).

The spring that 78 Anniversary showed you is, I believe, the CORRECT one, but it fits INSIDE the hinged outer flap and rides on the pivot pin for the flap. There is even an explanation given of how to remove that pin, and therefore spring, and this is what I think you need to do.

Just grab a hold of one of the outer door handles, depress the flap, and you will see the spring. If I'm wrong, I humbly apologise.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Aussie John, you are right but he is looking for the other spring, not the one that holds the flap up. These springs are no longer in production, and further if you can somehow get one off of another handle you will have to modify your own handle to get it into place. I don't think it would be wise to unwind an old spring and try and install said part in such a difficult location. Just let go of the $19.00 dollars from WILCOX.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:16 PM
Norman Northcutt Jr.
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default door handle sping

Originally Posted by 78anniversary
I see what you mean. There are 2 springs on the door handle. The one from Willcox is located inside the handle and is the one that keeps the handle from sagging. The handle needs to be disassembled for it to be changed. If the spring that is visible in your pictures is broke, i"m not sure where to find those.
Believe it or not Advance Auto parts list a spring for the handles of the 1970 corvette #77111
The following users liked this post:
JETS C3-C4 (03-20-2020)
Old 08-26-2023, 08:39 AM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 303 Likes on 210 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I just went through this. Factory handle much better than aftermarket so I went this route. Spring works perfect but has to be bent out on the tail out and inside door space trimmed for obvious reason. Got spring kit from Autozone. See pics.

The following users liked this post:
67:72 (08-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Exterior Door handle spring