C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you keep the C3 from getting light above 120mph?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
When I put an aluminum spoiler in front of the vents, the yarn really jumped out.

yea.... this is what got me thinking about this....

you running this hood for the Solvang trip? love to see it in person.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

The C2 and C3 suffered from the same aerodynamic problem brought on by the design department - the high nose. The hood vents on the 63 were supposed to be functional for exactly that reason (replicating the Mako Shark show/race car), but they were eliminated at the last minute to keep oil off of the windshield. The guys at Jaguar probably just said to wash your windshield more often.

Last edited by I'm Batman; 04-25-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:52 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I really think that Bee Jay is the only one to do comprehensive testing. My only high speed testing was in preperation was for the Nevada Silver state 93 mile open road race. I developed a fast by myself stable vette. What really threw me around to the point of feeling unsafe was being around the turbulance created by other high speed cars. You loose all down force in the wake of the really bad *** cars going by you or coming up to pass slower cars during the open test days.

I tested with some super fast C-5's back in the day and drafting got my heart rate up.

I personally never felt safe in my Vette in the early days until I put in a heavy 1 3/4 1.34 wall dom mild steel tubing, racing seat, and 5 point harness. My cage is not the best, but for stiffening

I also think that dual adjust front QA-1 coil overs with 600 -700 pound springs and running 4.0 or higher castor make a vette very stable.

My street tires are also 186 mph rated. My slicks might be very high MPH

Last edited by gkull; 04-26-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyLS6
But, you'll notice the vents on either side of the hood bubble, and I always thought they contributed to the stability. It'd be nice if someone made a fiberglass vent panel that could be attached to a 'vette hood on either side. It'd be interesting to see how it worked out, and regardless, it'd look cool as heck.
Here's an idea for some vents.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by gkull
I really think that Bee Jay is the only one to do comprehensive testing. My only high speed testing was in preperation was for the Nevada Silver state 93 mile open road race. I developed a fast by myself stable vette. What really threw me around to the point of feeling unsafe was being around the turbulance created by other high speed cars. You loose all down force in the wake of the really bad *** cars going by you or coming up to pass slower cars during the open test days.

I tested with some super fast C-5's back in the day and drafting got my heart rate up.

I personally never felt safe in my Vette in the early days until I put in a heavy 1 3/4 1.34 wall dom mild steel tubing, racing seat, and 5 point harness. My cage is not the best, but for stiffening

I also think that dual adjust front QA-1 coil overs with 600 -700 pound springs and running 4.0 or higher castor make a vette very stable.

Your car certainly knows how to move!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Your car certainly knows how to move!
Yes, Batman I gave you a ride back when I only had a 427 wimpier motor that later broke the crank shaft and I had a 4.11 rearend without my bigger tires and wheel flares
Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Yes, Batman I gave you a ride back when I only had a 427 wimpier motor that later broke the crank shaft and I had a 4.11 rearend without my bigger tires and wheel flares
That's just scary!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:32 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid Vette

So that other viewers are aware, IIRC there's only one source for the fully functioning wheelwell vents with splash shields; Tracy Performance. All others appear to be strictly cosmetic.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

if the 'just what works ' catagory, the hood vents from a turbo charged 90's pontiac, come with drip trays that dump perfectly for a vette, fit vette fenders or hoods like they were designed for them, let air and heat out, come with all attachment hardware, for bout $80 shipped. I put them on my C4 poor mans track car , they are excellent. hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

1. I really think that Bee Jay is the only one to do comprehensive testing.

2. What really threw me around to the point of feeling unsafe was being around the turbulance created by other high speed cars. You loose all down force in the wake of the really bad *** cars going by you or coming up to pass slower cars during the open test days.

3. I also think that dual adjust front QA-1 coil overs with 600 -700 pound springs and running 4.0 or higher castor make a vette very stable.

1. seems to be so...
2. ok... another worry, was that at 120... or 160?

3. how to you feel about bilstine sports and 600# springs?

Originally Posted by Kid Vette

how much pressure develops under the wheel well? or negative pressure above at that point?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:31 PM
luerja
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks very familiar.....

Last edited by luerja; 04-28-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:34 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Just thought it worth noting the forward location of hood vents on the ZL1 Camaro...

Highly suspect the General has done a bit of research on this.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 05-05-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Just thought it worth noting the forward location of hood vents on the ZL1 Camaro...

Highly suspect the General has done a bit of research on this.
Is that the production configuration? That's common on race cars for the last 50 years (I recall seeing some of the early front radiator Chaparrals dumping out the hot air there), but I always assumed the reason nobody did that for a production vehicle was that a share of this hot roasted-bug air eventually makes its way into the cowl cabin air ducts, like in the picture. Did they address this issue somehow?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:08 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Apparently that's the production config. Viewing a recent segment about the ZL1 on Motorweek got me curious enough to do some followup. I'd think they're far enough ahead of the cowl that extracted air likely doesn't adversely affect cabin inlet air temps.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 05-05-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:16 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That, is very interesting..... I wonder if you could make a C3 hood look good with something like that in the front middle section...behind the radiator, in front of the engine.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Is that in front of or behind the ZL1's radiator? The L88 hood always looked to me like Zora intended for it to have a functional vent, but it was probably dropped for the same reason the 63's vents were cosmetic - didn't want oily air blowing up on the windshield.

I kinda dig the fender vents.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:35 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
That, is very interesting..... I wonder if you could make a C3 hood look good with something like that in the front middle section...behind the radiator, in front of the engine.
you could almost do that right now with an LT1 hood. it might take some tweaking, but i think it would be pretty close as is. ive actually thought about punching a couple holes in mine, but i just cant bring my self to do it.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you keep the C3 from getting light above 120mph?

Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by another-user
you could almost do that right now with an LT1 hood. it might take some tweaking, but i think it would be pretty close as is. ive actually thought about punching a couple holes in mine, but i just cant bring my self to do it.
You mean like this?

Bee Jay
Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 AM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Ive been thinking about a heat extractor hood set up like this...

L88 hood bulge moved back a few inches and the rad leaned forward. The hood hinge mechanism will have to be modified to clear the rad when it is opened. A spreader bar would be in the way, but I think it would be Ok if it was in the airduct
Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 AM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by another-user
The LT1/BB hood vents are too far forward... Mine are cut out and it is just barely behind the rad support

Quick Reply: How do you keep the C3 from getting light above 120mph?