C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you keep the C3 from getting light above 120mph?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Yep, that's what I'm doing, with matching air box in the hood.

Sent you a pm.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:12 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Got the tray mounted today. Here's an earlier picture taken before I got back to the hardware store to get the specific bolts I wanted.

Waiting for the results of the air pressure differential readings and your personal thoughts on the feel..... this is what i would like to do if it works well.... and its also pretty cool looking!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:29 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

gkull went to the salt flats, this vett went over 200mph...

other than the led weights on it up front, i did notice how far the front tires are sucked in under the body.
And it looks like to me it has like 2-3" rake

Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
Waiting for the results of the air pressure differential readings and your personal thoughts on the feel..... this is what i would like to do if it works well.... and its also pretty cool looking!
Hey, thanks.

Did a test and tune evening at Gingerman the other week. Car ran well, and felt great at speed. Haven't had time to mount the pressure gauge and run the lines yet, so no hard data yet.
I was encouraged by how steady the car felt at speed so I decided to carry the floorpan back further. The trans crossmember was the biggest hinderance to a flat pan, so I had to modify it.

Then some more aluminum sheet, and a couple vanes to divert some of the air away from the transmission to the smoother sides. I tried to cover the transmission, but in addition to possible cooling issues, it just wasn't eye-pleasing, so that mod is for another time. Here's a picture during progress. It would have been easier starting with a clean sheet of paper, rather than having to modify and work around all the stuff that was placed under our cars with no initial thoughts about how aero messy it is under there.

Had planned to do a trackday this week, but ran out of time. I had the front suspension apart to change the roll center and reduce the camber-gain curves, and I'm chasing a brake issue at the moment. I've got one or two track days in mind for September to do some testing (and having fun, of course).
Old 08-15-2012, 01:37 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Some general thoughts on underbody aero...

Assuming relatively clean airflow can be achieved and air bleeding into the area can be sufficiently controlled, the cross-section area beneath the car needs to either remain constant or increase from no further forward than the point at which you'd like to locate the most downforce (or least lift). Any reduction of area or bottlenecks in that cross-section in the direction of airflow will necessarily increase pressures at such points. Yes, airflow needs to be thought out from the nose back, but if there's something significant towards the rear of the desired balance point on which air is going to impinge that you can't effectively do anything about, best take that into account when determining the cross-sections ahead of it.

Also, airflow doesn't like sudden changes of direction, and tends to become detached from the backside of surfaces oriented away, or increasing at greater than ~7* from normal with that flow at a given point, creating turbulence. An adequate transition area ahead of any such divergence will help avoid detachment. This includes surfaces of the pan itself, barge boards and diverters, as well as diffusers.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:30 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gkull went to the salt flats, this vett went over 200mph...

other than the led weights on it up front, i did notice how far the front tires are sucked in under the body.
And it looks like to me it has like 2-3" rake

Nice, be interesting to hear how his underside is for controlling air. And of course, what is under that hood.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:43 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

You could put the lead weights on the inside

At speed I bet that lower spoiler is hitting the salt
Old 08-15-2012, 07:02 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by ylose
Nice, be interesting to hear how his underside is for controlling air. And of course, what is under that hood.
Maybe in the owners defence, when I went buy to talk to him they were looking at a blown seam on the intake plenum. They had a back fire under boost and it split a weld. So they were deciding what to do. not many people bring a heliarc with them or a TIG

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...alt-flats.html
Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Finished adding the additional bellypan area back to the rear camber links the other week, along with the front suspension geometry change (for reduced camber gain) and higher Cf brake pad compound all around. Took the car to a couple tracks (Mid-America in Iowa and Gingerman in Michigan) the past couple weeks to see how the changes felt. The car was very comfortable and stable on the long straights, with no feeling of lift or light steering at speed. I'm convinced that the bellypan and the blocked off grills (to reduce excess air entering the engine compartment and exiting under the car) was a directionally correct move to help the high speed stability of these antiques.

On a couple side notes, I was also very happy with the new brake pads, as I was habitually braking too early at the end of the long straights due to being used to the lower grip of the previous pads. Just need a little more practice with this new compound.
The geometry change seemed to help also. A little more front grip in the corners (less understeer), and the reduced camber change under hard braking is always a plus.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 PM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That is some really nice looking work. How much of the grills did you block off?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by vetteguy22
That is some really nice looking work. How much of the grills did you block off?
Thank you.

I blocked off all of the two outer grills with some light plastic sheets (painted black and installed behind the grillwork), and as much of the center grill as I could with aluminum sheet. The radiator still gets its air through the two factory holes just above the front spoiler. So far the engine has cooled just fine with these changes, even on some 95-98* track days. I credit most of the thermal performance to the DeWitt aluminum radiator I put in it a couple years ago. I did it mainly for front weight reduction, but the cooling capability was a very welcome plus.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

book mark for tomorrow to comment...
Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Finished adding the additional bellypan area back to the rear camber links the other week, along with the front suspension geometry change (for reduced camber gain) and higher Cf brake pad compound all around. Took the car to a couple tracks (Mid-America in Iowa and Gingerman in Michigan) the past couple weeks to see how the changes felt. The car was very comfortable and stable on the long straights, with no feeling of lift or light steering at speed. I'm convinced that the bellypan and the blocked off grills (to reduce excess air entering the engine compartment and exiting under the car) was a directionally correct move to help the high speed stability of these antiques.

On a couple side notes, I was also very happy with the new brake pads, as I was habitually braking too early at the end of the long straights due to being used to the lower grip of the previous pads. Just need a little more practice with this new compound.
The geometry change seemed to help also. A little more front grip in the corners (less understeer), and the reduced camber change under hard braking is always a plus.
Thank you.

I blocked off all of the two outer grills with some light plastic sheets (painted black and installed behind the grillwork), and as much of the center grill as I could with aluminum sheet. The radiator still gets its air through the two factory holes just above the front spoiler. So far the engine has cooled just fine with these changes, even on some 95-98* track days. I credit most of the thermal performance to the DeWitt aluminum radiator I put in it a couple years ago. I did it mainly for front weight reduction, but the cooling capability was a very welcome plus.

pictures please!!1

i fracken love your work..
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Tech Contributor

pictures please!!1

i fracken love your work..
Thanks man.

Here's a picture while I was blocking off the grills.

I cut out a couple pieces of plastic that matched the outline of the grill opening, painted them black, and then mounted them behind the grills. Unless you get real close you can't tell they're blocked off. I like the stock look of a C3, I just don't like a lot of the inefficiencies of its design. As I mentioned earlier, I retained the factory openings under the grills to feed the radiator.

I did a somewhat similar blockoff of the center grill, but used aluminum because I had to bend the sheet in several places to fit around the obstacles behind the grille.

Regarding the bellypan, it looks a lot like the picture a couple posts back. In that previous picture the rightside pan stopped at the underfloor muffler (the glossy black item under the passenger seat). I fabricated a muffler quite a while ago and located it under there to lower the cg of the exhaust weight, place that muffler weight on the lighter rightside of the car, and also bring that weight inside the wheelbase. I recently changed back to the original location for the mufflers to allow the rightside bellypan to mirror the left side (back to the strut rods). It's my thought that I'm gaining more from the cleanup of the undercar aero than I'm losing by moving the muffler weight farther up and outside the wheelbase.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:47 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

R U using stock rotors and calipers with just hi-temp fluid?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:57 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks man.

Here's a picture while I was blocking off the grills.

I cut out a couple pieces of plastic that matched the outline of the grill opening, painted them black, and then mounted them behind the grills. Unless you get real close you can't tell they're blocked off. I like the stock look of a C3, I just don't like a lot of the inefficiencies of its design. As I mentioned earlier, I retained the factory openings under the grills to feed the radiator.

I did a somewhat similar blockoff of the center grill, but used aluminum because I had to bend the sheet in several places to fit around the obstacles behind the grille.

Regarding the bellypan, it looks a lot like the picture a couple posts back. In that previous picture the rightside pan stopped at the underfloor muffler (the glossy black item under the passenger seat). I fabricated a muffler quite a while ago and located it under there to lower the cg of the exhaust weight, place that muffler weight on the lighter rightside of the car, and also bring that weight inside the wheelbase. I recently changed back to the original location for the mufflers to allow the rightside bellypan to mirror the left side (back to the strut rods). It's my thought that I'm gaining more from the cleanup of the undercar aero than I'm losing by moving the muffler weight farther up and outside the wheelbase.

i would keep the front vents open. i would not think you would get much lift there, but the flow of air to the radiator on theses C3's sucks...

your belly pan... AMAZING..

i want one....did you ever to the pressure testing?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

i would keep the front vents open. i would not think you would get much lift there, but the flow of air to the radiator on theses C3's sucks...

your belly pan... AMAZING..

i want one....did you ever to the pressure testing?
Not to get too off topic but...
Front grilles all blocked off here as well... My car will NEVER overheat. Traffic, racing, or highway driving. Stock BB radiator with some ebay electric fans. There is more than enough airflow being scooped up through the bottom openings.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you keep the C3 from getting light above 120mph?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 PM
68thumper
Instructor

Been racing Willow springs small track, and on the straight away im hitting a brief speed of 110+ before into hard breaking. I going to be more on the big track now, and the speeds are much greater.
When you can hold the loud pedal down through turn 8 at Willow Springs big track you know you have it dialed in. I have been through that turn a bazillion times with the SCCA and that was always the corner I could gain ground in a race. You need some big ones to find out though...
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vette427-sbc
Not to get too off topic but...
Front grilles all blocked off here as well... My car will NEVER overheat. Traffic, racing, or highway driving. Stock BB radiator with some ebay electric fans. There is more than enough airflow being scooped up through the bottom openings.
That is so hard for me to swollow.... I have been battleing heat in my c3 for years....I just must be one of the unlucky ones. Lol.... I think it was Beejay that took out the center to increas air flow.... But I can also see how that would be a large air build up pocket....

Originally Posted by 68thumper
When you can hold the loud pedal down through turn 8 at Willow Springs big track you know you have it dialed in. I have been through that turn a bazillion times with the SCCA and that was always the corner I could gain ground in a race. You need some big ones to find out though...
I'm still having hand sweets..... The streets of willow are fast enough.... But I really want to do more big track... But I just don't like the way she feels above 120... What I like the least is the steering wheel feel up there... I have rack and pinion, but I was wandering if anyone ever put a shock like system on ther r&p like I see on some other stock autos? It would help keep the steering more solid at high speeds????
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 PM
68thumper
Instructor

I'm still having hand sweets..... The streets of willow are fast enough.... But I really want to do more big track... But I just don't like the way she feels above 120... What I like the least is the steering wheel feel up there... I have rack and pinion, but I was wandering if anyone ever put a shock like system on ther r&p like I see on some other stock autos? It would help keep the steering more solid at high speeds????
I did some part time instructing with the SCCA back in the 90's and I had my students put a piece of 1 inch tape on the windshield below eye level then told them to not look below the tape going into a corner especially turn 8 on the big track which helped them "look through" the corner. I learned the hard way by following one of my competitors through the corner during my first race. I let off going in and he didn't. I had another 2 miles to think about how I was going to keep my foot down through that corner on the next lap . I am happy to report I stayed on his "ash" the whole race ...till I went off in turn 9...but "that's racing"...

p.s. I forgot to tell you I would be happy to take your car on the big track to help sort it out...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you keep the C3 from getting light above 120mph?