C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling blower fan in low/off position

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:11 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Disabling blower fan in low/off position

Hello Everyone,

I want to disable my blower fan from running in the leftmost switch position. I know GM wanted it to run all the time but I want it off in that position.

For my '76 L-48 I believe one of the wires going into the resistor on the a/c box is the culprit. Could someone spell out exactly which wire? There are four: dark blue, yellow, light green and light blue. From my best guess, I think it is the yellow wire.

Let me know,

John
Old 05-01-2012, 04:21 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

On my 78, there is a relay under the hood right against the firewall on the passenger side just below the hood latch a little inside towards the engine-Pull the plug out of the relay like I have done for the last 25 years-no blower in the off position. I leave it plugged in in the winter months and pull it out during the hotter months since I removed my A/C compressor about 20 years ago. One of my projects is to resuscitate the A/C one of these years. Don't really miss it on the L-82 though.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

there should be two wires that go to the blower switch, yellow and orange, the orange wire supplies power through the switch when off to run the blower on low. depends on how bad you want to dig into the console to cut and disable it.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the tan wire on the switch under the console is the low speed on all the time wire.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I was planning on using a voltmeter to check the resistor wires one by one with the key in the on position.

Are there any other '76 owners that have done this modifiation?
Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I don't know why you'd want to - it's an effective safety feature. You should disconnect your rear brakes while you're at it.

Lars
Old 05-02-2012, 01:34 PM
chucks
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
Oldtimer

There are 4 wires going into the plug on top of your AC box. Insert a small screwdriver in to the opening the dark brown wire is in, probe around and pull on the wire as you insert the screwdriver and it will come out. Tape the end and tie it back. This will shut off the low speed on your blower.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Thought about doing this also.Decided against it due to safety reasons.Should you have an exhaust leak into the cabin without knowing it and your windows are up,would not be a good thing.The battery is also located in the cabin and it does vent fumes..
Old 05-02-2012, 02:31 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
I don't know why you'd want to - it's an effective safety feature. You should disconnect your rear brakes while you're at it.

Lars
Not that I doubt your expertise - but how is it a safety device - how does it work ?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:34 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

must be related to fresh air and carbon monoxide poisioning
Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

I can tell you why I want to do it. I want to keep even more hot air out of the cabin.

I have a hot water shutoff installed and I still feel a small amount of warm air blowing through the vents. This is with the heater/ac controls in the off position. I have replaced all seals in the ac box, inside and out. Also replaced the drain tube. The hood seal is in place and is working.

My guess is that the heat of the headers is putting some heat into the ac box. As the fan blows it is picking up this heat and putting into the cabin.

Thanks for the tips. I will let you know when I have results.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Cabin heat was also an issue.When I did my trans swap I replaced the missing heat shield in the trans tunnel and install the bellhousing collar.Those two items decreased the cabin heat a whole bunch.....
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by jcloving
I can tell you why I want to do it. I want to keep even more hot air out of the cabin.

I have a hot water shutoff installed and I still feel a small amount of warm air blowing through the vents. This is with the heater/ac controls in the off position. I have replaced all seals in the ac box, inside and out. Also replaced the drain tube. The hood seal is in place and is working.

My guess is that the heat of the headers is putting some heat into the ac box. As the fan blows it is picking up this heat and putting into the cabin.

Thanks for the tips. I will let you know when I have results.
I lined the inside of the HVAC box with Refletix when I had the system apart. It did wonders for the problem you're describing.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 PM
superdave269
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Did you block both of the hoses to the heater core? I put a small brass ball valve in each one(from home depot) and for the first time the passenger didn't get burnt feet. Wish I done it years ago. I believe the heater bypass valve didn't work. Be sure to block both hoses. Plus with a ball valve you can just open them back up if you need heat.
You can also put in a bigger fan, or put reflectix(lowes) under your carpet. I did this to another C3, but had best luck with the 2 ball valves.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

The factory heater shut-off valves are terrible. The modern plastic replacement that should be available at any parts store is a much more functional piece. It's not for the NCRS types, but it's great for a driver.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 AM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 178 Posts

i found the hot air around my feet was from the 3 or 4 missing rubber plugs that is supposed to hold the carpet in place behind the pedals.
found when i had the carpet removed and was putting a pre-cut insulation kit in.
i placed a spotlight under the car, shut the shed door, and there was all this light in the footwell.
replaced with new blank grommets, bugga all air movement around my feet now.

Last edited by riverracer au; 05-03-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 AM
silver79
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a question on the same subject, my blower like yours always blows hot air but the only setting that chances the air flow is the High setting all the others don't seem to work. Any way to fix that?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Disabling blower fan in low/off position

Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJlr
Not that I doubt your expertise - but how is it a safety device - how does it work ?
I was working for GM when this feature was designed and put into use. GM had several cases of carbon monoxide getting into the interior of the cars - especially on Corvette. A few people ended up getting killed as a result. The lawsuit was massive. The blower on "LO" keeps a positive pressure inside the car when the windows are rolled up so you don't end up dying.

...so if you're going to bubba-fix a hot air problem, caused by defective seals and a bad heater box, by disconnecting a safety device, I think you may as well disconnect those pesky brakes while you're at it.

Lars
Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

I was working for GM when this feature was designed and put into use. GM had several cases of carbon monoxide getting into the interior of the cars - especially on Corvette. A few people ended up getting killed as a result. The lawsuit was massive. The blower on "LO" keeps a positive pressure inside the car when the windows are rolled up so you don't end up dying.

...so if you're going to bubba-fix a hot air problem, caused by defective seals and a bad heater box, by disconnecting a safety device, I think you may as well disconnect those pesky brakes while you're at it.

Lars
Thanks Lars,

I will post pictures when I have results.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:28 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Lars
Awesome explanation....thanks

Quick Reply: Disabling blower fan in low/off position