C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson Vs rack and pinion

Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themetalman03886
I am less than a month out from going home from my deployment and I want to upgrade the steering on my 76 when I get home. My big debate right now is do I go with an updated rack and pinion set up or do I just upgrade the steering box? I am a fan of manual steering (partially to deter my wife from driving the vette ) but I also just like the feel of non assisted steering. I have read the advantages of both but would like some opinions of others, so lets hear it!

Thank you for your service! Just wanted to say I hope that you make it home ok, and good luck with your Vette. BTW, I enjoy doing some fishing around your area! Have an old friend in Jacksonville, retired gunny. Take care!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 AM
themetalman03886
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it sounds like most of you are leaning with the borg, I think that will be my option, I did just install side pipes right before I left so that may be in the way but not too difficult to move. Thanks to all!
Old 05-06-2012, 02:12 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've just finished researching both oe, borg. jeep, and the r&p , both store bought complete kits , and the diy's. I'm not going to go into alot of tech. cause thats been pretty well covered here and in several other forums The system that came out on top for ease of installation, price, and least amount of adapting, and best one for minimal amount of mechanical experience, and best tech. support, was the Borgeson kit sold by JPL. Its the most complete, bolt in kit I was able to find. I'm not selling it, I 'm buying it. hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
I've just finished researching both oe, borg. jeep, and the r&p , both store bought complete kits , and the diy's. I'm not going to go into alot of tech. cause thats been pretty well covered here and in several other forums The system that came out on top for ease of installation, price, and least amount of adapting, and best one for minimal amount of mechanical experience, and best tech. support, was the Borgeson kit sold by JPL. Its the most complete, bolt in kit I was able to find. I'm not selling it, I 'm buying it. hope this helps.
Best of luck, Old Frozen Critter,...... my rack been my '72 for ten years now...never had a issue, knock on wood, Mahogany....
Old 05-06-2012, 03:39 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mrvette
Best of luck, Old Frozen Critter,...... my rack been my '72 for ten years now...never had a issue, knock on wood, Mahogany....
I'm sure its an excellent unit, but my interest was ease of install and least amount of fadrication, guess I've gotten lazy in my old age.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Just tried to send you a PM regarding where I got my kit, which was the best price I could find anywhere. However, it appears you have disabled PMs.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I'm sure its an excellent unit, but my interest was ease of install and least amount of fadrication, guess I've gotten lazy in my old age.
age 68 here, on pain pills for a sciatica muscle pain on my right side, up under the car removing the auto trans, and then replacing a O ring seal and converter....that about wiped me out....they CAT scammed me, and said it was NOT liver/kidneys due to blood/**** tests...the CAT did meow and say I have a crappy spine, as if I dunno THAT over the last 55 year or so....so the pain pill and some muscle relaxers and I in another zone man....sleepy beyond anything I ever knew, yawning here now...only damn 740pm....damnit...

Like I said, without my professional welder buddy, none of my car would exist in it's current state...or damn little of it....

I come up with the parts, he fabs them, and so it was 2-3 tries on the rack mounts...my designs, just taking time to think things through, engine out, car on stands/WOOD blocks, and the positioning made easy....some guys are just paranoid....but like I say, been there ten years now as a DD.....tmrw is another day....

Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BTAL
Just tried to send you a PM regarding where I got my kit, which was the best price I could find anywhere. However, it appears you have disabled PMs.
thanks or letting me know, its fixed now, many thanks.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:24 PM
BTAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

thanks or letting me know, its fixed now, many thanks.
The "send PM" appears when clicking your name, but that then displays the "no PMs" page. If you would like the info, send me a PM then I can try a reply with the info.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:34 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

I'm puter 'tarded, think I fixed it, many thanks, ....againbob

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 05-06-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:07 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The borg box is cheaper and probably easier to install.
The rack is a rack, it's what they put in sports cars for a reason.

I built my own like puff ball up a few replies, and it's a sports car now.

Recirc ***** are for luxury cars
Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 AM
BTAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

I'm puter 'tarded, think I fixed it, many thanks, ....againbob
Something still isn't set correctly.

oldalaskaman has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove oldalaskaman from the recipient list and send the message again.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:44 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

pretty sure I fixed it ...this time, I needed to un-check that, I had it checked, many thanks, bob
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 AM
BTAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

pretty sure I fixed it ...this time, I needed to un-check that, I had it checked, many thanks, bob
PM still doesn't work but it did allow me to send you an e-mail with the info. Hope it helps.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

excellent many thanks, I'll keep playing with it
got the e-mail , that $100 less than the best price I could find, many thanks, bob

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 05-07-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed the Steeroids power R&P with my header sidepipes still in place. The only mod needed was a little grinding on the left engine mount for U-joint clearance. 3 hour install time. It made a world of difference in steering feel...no more darting about from bumpsteer over tar strips and grooved concrete highways.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM
DAVID SLUDER
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Borgeson kit this weekend, nice kit to install, no problems, it drives great, so I would recommend, good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson Vs rack and pinion

Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

this is good to hear , specially since those wheels like yours are next on my list
Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 383 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by themetalman03886
I am less than a month out from going home from my deployment and I want to upgrade the steering on my 76 when I get home. My big debate right now is do I go with an updated rack and pinion set up or do I just upgrade the steering box? I am a fan of manual steering (partially to deter my wife from driving the vette ) but I also just like the feel of non assisted steering. I have read the advantages of both but would like some opinions of others, so lets hear it!
From what I understand the Rack and Pinion's use the same unit for both Manual and Power steering. In other words You hook up the Hoses if You want it and not if You don't. I had issues with mine being over assited but it was because I was useing a Gen II pump on my Vintage Air Frontrunner Belt setup. Its pretty good now I like it around town but its still more than what I want for Autocross. However I would think it would be fairly easy to install a Valve and be able to turn the PS on and off, either under Hood or via a Solinoid. Maybe I will get started on this new Idea, as my Car is currentlyclose to done, and it will promote my way of never Useing the car or diveing it cause its never just right.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

in my research on these I found that ford installs a restrictor valve in the base of their pressure line, seems they have some pressure issues also, wonder if that would be an option on your setup?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borgeson Vs rack and pinion