C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 AM
rodney25
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Time for Paint

Well it's time of this restore for body and paint. Went over to Maaco and they want $2200.00 just to body prep and pair. Does anyone know if Maaco is any good? Does anyone have any experience with them? This seems very high to me.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Don't walk, RUN away from MAACO. I suggest stopping by a few car shows and talking to a few corvette guys to see who they've used and get a first-hand look at their work. Working with fiberglass/SMC isn't going to be familiar to many insurance repair shops.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:14 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Its easy to spend almost that much on quality materials alone. A very good paint job is going to run closer to $6k depending on body work needed.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:26 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It depends on what you want to do with your car and what you can afford. I recently went to several body shops and have received estimates between 7-10k to strip, repair and paint vehicle. If your budget only allows you to go to macco then go. You and only you can make that decision. You will probably get plenty replies that say don't walk... run from macco. Some come from those who have had bad experiences with macco to those who make "don't go to macco"," macco paint my vette? never" are from comments from hearsay. Remember also each macco shop is independently owned and operated so do your homework. Whether you go to a privately owned shop or macco for repair /paint it is a crap shoot in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:37 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I have seen Macco paint jobs on some cars at the shows I go to. They look real good. If you get the right place they will do a real good job. Just prep the car.
Nothing wrong with Macco if thats all you can swing.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:37 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Lurkin
Don't walk, RUN away from MAACO. I suggest stopping by a few car shows and talking to a few corvette guys to see who they've used and get a first-hand look at their work. Working with fiberglass/SMC isn't going to be familiar to many insurance repair shops.

Why? Because it's cheap and you supposedly get what you pay for.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:52 AM
themetalman03886
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I used to live in Ga I had Maaco paint my Supra, they charged me a 1000 bucks to get it done, it wasn't a show quality paint job by any means but for what I paid I was more than happy with the outcome.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

My two cents:

A good painter can lay down a good paint.
BUT
The time and cost is in the prep work.
How far down are they going to strip off the old paint?
How will they strip off the old paint, sanding, media blasting, etc.?
Once stripped how much attention to detail in getting the body flaws up to YOUR standards?

Each step has its own time, cost, and materials.

That's why some paint jobs are $2000 & some are $8000.

Everyone has different standards - you & the shop.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rodney25
Went over to Maaco and they want $2200.00 just to body prep and pair.(SIC) This seems very high to me.
You're in for a rude awakening if you think $2.2K is a high price!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

When I painted mine (over 10 years ago) I got a lot of bids and talked to a lot of people. I knew anyone who bid $2,000 didn't know what they were talking about. My car needed a lot of work. I budgeted 4K and ended up paying 5.5K. It was a bargain, as paint jobs go.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
You're in for a rude awakening if you think $2.2K is a high price!
Yeah, that's putting it mildly
Old 05-13-2012, 11:35 AM
livelotus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing my own work, and I have close to...if not more just in getting the body ready for paint. I expect another 2k+ to get the paint on. Decent paint is expensive ...better paint...even more. Someone that knows what they are doing..start adding zeros.

But as previously stated, look around...talk to people that have had their pride an joy painted. The time you spend know gathering the facts will be well worth it.

H
Old 05-13-2012, 11:45 AM
b.lee
Burning Brakes

If you actually plan on driving the car, get the Maaco paint job

If it's a show car / trailer queen, then your going to spend more than $2,200
Old 05-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Kalvin
Intermediate

If I'm not mistaken each Maaco is individually owned and quality will vary. I would get in writing everything he says he'll do for your $2200. You should check your local sources such as the BBB and see if there has been any complaints filed. I'll be looking to paint soon myself and Maaco will be on my list. I sent my mother-in-law to them to have her bumper repaired and repainted where everyone else wanted to replace it. They did a fantastic job in her own words and if they can make her happy (especially this person) then I'll definitely have to check them out.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 PM
pleasants9
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

whats the best way to find a quality painter? I just moved to pensacola and don't even know where to start to find someone for my '82.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:22 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If she's gonna be a driver...spend the $2200. I've seen too many guys turn decent cars into "garage/trailer queens" because they are too afraid of that first scratch or ding. If you're gonna show it, then as previously stated, you're drunk if you think $2200 is a lot. Nothing wrong with knocking down the paint with some wet sanding and polish when you get her back.....then you've got a good "10-footer" that you can enjoy with some peace of mind, and not freak out if you catch a rock chip. Good luck in your decision.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 PM
superdave269
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Every Maaco is different. They have different guys doing the paint. I had a Maaco paint job out of NJ. They should not even be aloud to piant hotwheels. I have had much better luck with a Pa. Maaco that's about 25 minutes away from the first place. You need to look at their work in person. Ask lots of questions as they all have different ideas if they should bake the piant on or just let it dry. Three different Maacos told me 3 different things about fiberglass holding moisture.

Get notified of new replies

To Time for Paint

Old 05-13-2012, 09:26 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

why not do it yourself? if you have an area large enough (two car garage) you can achieve very good results for less than $1000 including a good quality paint gun. nason (and many others) makes a good line of paint that's about $100 a gallon-it's not top of the line stuff, but it's a very durable paint. use spi epoxy and clear and it will buff to a great shine. and you won't have a heart attack if a rock chips it-you'll just repair it yourself. just expect to spend about 50 hours in prep, paint, wet sanding and polishing.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:47 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
why not do it yourself? if you have an area large enough (two car garage) you can achieve very good results for less than $1000 including a good quality paint gun. nason (and many others) makes a good line of paint that's about $100 a gallon-it's not top of the line stuff, but it's a very durable paint. use spi epoxy and clear and it will buff to a great shine. and you won't have a heart attack if a rock chips it-you'll just repair it yourself. just expect to spend about 50 hours in prep, paint, wet sanding and polishing.
I sure wish I could prep and paint a corvette 50 hours maybe I havent done enough of them only about 20.
Mark
Old 05-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Mr.Green
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

As everyone has said, it depends on the Maaco. At a minimum, I would recommend covering everything that you don't want to get painted. Maaco loves spay-over. There's still blue paint in the treads of my buddy's truck tires.

Also, ask if they are going to remove the doors and bumpers to paint them separately, otherwise you get a weird buildup in the cracks.

Make sure they pay extra attention to your bonding strips. If they aren't treated right, it will show through the paint.

That's all the advice I have.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Time for Paint