C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Power Steering Control Valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 PM
canuk99
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Power Steering Control Valve

Good day all! I've been lurking around for awhile now and have gotten alot of great info here.
I've got an issue with a leaking PS Control Valve. Its a '73 Coupe with a Merlin lll 540 cu.in. BBC. I've added a Hydro boost, small pump with a remote resevoir and all braided lines. I finally got all the lines done so they will live without rubbing anywhere. I added oil to start bleeding the system, let it sit overnight and in the morning its dripping out of the Control valve right where the stud that the steering box arm hooks onto. its a brand new valve. Does anyone have a breakdown of the valve so I can determine if its just an o-ring or whatever? I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. ...... Thanks, Chet
Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is a great doc I found on-line for steering valve rebuilds:
http://www.cssbinc.com/images/ads/ho...structions.pdf

I just finished rebuilding mine and it's insanely easy!!
If you have PS fluid leaking from the stud, you've got issues.
The valve has 2 parts (halves) an the half with the stud should never see PS fluid. If you have fluid there, the seal(s) inside the other half is bad and/or was installed incorrectly or the core they used was just worn beyond repair.

If you just bought it and it's got a warranty, send it back!
Elm
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ezobens
Here is a great doc I found on-line for steering valve rebuilds:
http://www.cssbinc.com/images/ads/ho...structions.pdf

I just finished rebuilding mine and it's insanely easy!!
If you have PS fluid leaking from the stud, you've got issues.
The valve has 2 parts (halves) an the half with the stud should never see PS fluid. If you have fluid there, the seal(s) inside the other half is bad and/or was installed incorrectly or the core they used was just worn beyond repair.

If you just bought it and it's got a warranty, send it back!
Elm
A seal must have been mangled on assembly (ask me how I know that ). The stud side of the valve is the 'dry' side. Send it back for a replacement.

Rick B.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 PM
canuk99
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
A seal must have been mangled on assembly (ask me how I know that ). The stud side of the valve is the 'dry' side. Send it back for a replacement.

Rick B.
Thanks ezobens for the info. 72LS1Vette, I agree a seal is damaged, too bad the PO installed the Valve and I have no reciept. It looks like I'll be able to just remove the fluid side from the control valve while its on the car.
Now I just have to figure how to add pictures.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Depending upon how bad the leak is............... I just used Lucas power steering stop leak from Auto Zone $10 bucks. I had put on all new hoses a power steering pump. I had done my control valve a few years ago and added a big cooler. The drops made me sick. I could never pinpoint the leak even with new most everything.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

You can try to take the valve apart while on the car but I wouldn't advise it. Putting it back together in a horizontal position, under the car is just a suicide mission. You'll thank me later-

Since the other half is now contaminated with PS fluid anyway, it would be better to that the whole thing off, get yourself a new rebuild kit and doing it correctly the first (second?) time.
Elm
Old 05-20-2012, 12:42 PM
canuk99
6th Gear

Thanks ezobens for the link on rebuilding the valve. I did end up doing it while still attached to the car, while standing up. It went together very well. So far 2 days and no leaks. Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking Power Steering Control Valve

Quick Reply: Leaking Power Steering Control Valve