C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnose Lower Control Arm Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:52 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

. The no-name Chinese stuff sold by a lot of the Corvette vendors is definitely junk, and I don't know if Prothane has cleaned up their act or not.

GOOD poly, properly lubricated with the sticky grease sold by ES, simply doesn't exhibit the problems you describe.

You almost have me sold Batman . You may be right about the cheaper bushings sold out there . All the ones I have removed were a dirty gold color .

Do you need to lubricate the ones you suggest , and if so how often and how do you get lube in them without taking it apart ?
Bill
Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ted13b
Well, I picked up a new caliper last weekend. When I went to install it, it was obvious the runner brake hose was in bad shape. When I removed the hose, it was obvious the stell line was in bad shape...a few hours later, though, no more pulling. I also checked the right side, and that hose was in bad shape as well. One more problem resolved, thanks for the help guys.
My first thought was a left caliper but it seems OK; it clamps the rotor, no air in the line, and I can move the pads so I don't think a piston is stuck.
What a convoluted turn of events to a thread entitled
Diagnose Lower Control Arm Bushings?
What's a 'runner brake hose?'
Old 05-23-2012, 12:54 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
What a convoluted turn of events to a thread entitled

What's a 'runner brake hose?'
As th B and the N are next to each other on the keyboard I'm thinking he meant Rubber brake hose !

I am a poor typer also .

Bill
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 63split63
You almost have me sold Batman . You may be right about the cheaper bushings sold out there . All the ones I have removed were a dirty gold color .

Do you need to lubricate the ones you suggest , and if so how often and how do you get lube in them without taking it apart ?
Bill
Energy Suspension sells a super-sticky grease (it's like pine tar, but it lubricates the poly against the metal) that seems to keep their bushings lubricated for a long, long time. I never heard a peep out of either of those Talons - I wiped them down and added new grease when I wrecked and dismantled the first one, but they were still lubricated after at least 25k miles, probably more like 50k+. Their sway bar bushing brackets come in solid and greaseable versions. I have the brackets with the zerk fittings, but I coated the bushings with their grease and have never felt the need to inject any regular grease in there. Currently the 77 has about six years and several thousand miles since they were first installed, and still quiet as can be. If you were anywhere in this area, I'd say that you're more than welcome to look over the suspension on my car.

I've never seen any poly that's a dirty gold color, but it sounds suspicious. The black ES bushings are very black (probably a more true black than the rubber bushings), and the red are extremely red. They used to make blue and yellow as well, but I haven't seen those in years. There might have been some problems with the dyes, or they might not have sold very well.

Rubber might well be a very good solution for a lot of people. Likewise with poly.

Last edited by I'm Batman; 05-23-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:36 PM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 63split63
As th B and the N are next to each other on the keyboard I'm thinking he meant Rubber brake hose !

I am a poor typer also .

Bill
Thanks for the clarification, Bill. My browser, Mozilla Firefox, has a built in spell checker. But nothing came up when I right-clicked on runner.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:53 PM
ted13b
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I'm a good speller who fell victim to "dumb thumbs syndrome". The rubber hoses made all the difference, it stops nice and straight now.

Quick Reply: Diagnose Lower Control Arm Bushings?