C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnose Lower Control Arm Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 PM
ted13b
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Diagnose Lower Control Arm Bushings?

My 77 pulls hard right under braking. My first thought was a left caliper but it seems OK; it clamps the rotor, no air in the line, and I can move the pads so I don't think a piston is stuck. My next thought was front suspension, but everything seems OK except the lower control arm rear bushings look iffy. Is there anyway to check or test the bushings?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

From the little there is to see of the bushing, is the rubber is cracked, split, or are pieces missing?

Doubt the bushing is responsible for the hard right pull during braking. Seem more likely an asymmetry with the braking system rather than suspension.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Controll arm bushings are not prone to wearing out . If there is no obvious signs of a brake problem I would service the front brakes,replace flex hoses, new pads, turn rotors, rebuild callipers and clean, inspect and re-pack the bearings. Best to have the rotors turned on the hubs .
Great weekend project .

Bill
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
ted13b
Racer

I'm going to start with a caliper this weekend. I have a new brake hose, but the brake line flare nut at the hose looks iffy and I'm nervous about messing with it. I'll have to take a look to see how far back that hard line goes before I risk stripping it.
I really can't see much of the suspension bushings, but I'm thinking worst case since the caliper seems OK. I hate parts that you can't test to get a definite go/no go!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:59 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 63split63
Controll arm bushings are not prone to wearing out .
Seriously? The stock parts fall apart in 15 years.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car pulling under braking is most likely not a bushing issue, chances are it's brakes. It may not be the left side, it could be that the right side isn't releasing, that the pistons are stuck, you should check both sides. Look for the obvious first, leaks, uneven brake pad wear, hot spots on the rotors, that kind of thing. Don't pull the rotors off the hubs unless you need to. Rotor runout is important on these cars and will cause you some grief if it's not in spec.

As for the hard lines, the left side isn't that long, about 18 inches or so, it only goes to the proportioning valve, and you can get them (along with every other brake part in the system) from most of the vendors.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I agree the problem does not sound like bushings. I also agree, while they may not wear out, bushings certainly die from old age and ozone goo.

If they look ugly, they probably are.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

If the controll arm bushings were worn to the point that the car pulls under braking he wouldn't need to apply the brakes to know there was a problem . The car would rattle at every bump in the road .
Most controll arm bushings get replaced because alignment shops use them to turn a basic alignment into a money maker or someone thinks that polly bushings are a good idea . ( Not ! )
Bill
Old 05-18-2012, 09:50 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Dont overlook the rear brakes too
Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

If the controll arm bushings were worn to the point that the car pulls under braking he wouldn't need to apply the brakes to know there was a problem . The car would rattle at every bump in the road .
Most controll arm bushings get replaced because alignment shops use them to turn a basic alignment into a money maker or someone thinks that polly bushings are a good idea . ( Not ! )
Bill
Poly bushings are great...if you use them in the proper locations and don't buy garbage poly. I've had great luck with Energy Suspension parts on multiple vehicles.

I agree that this sounds more like a brake problem, but to say that rubber control arm bushings don't wear out or that poly bushings are crap is just silly.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:13 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Poly bushings are great...if you use them in the proper locations and don't buy garbage poly. I've had great luck with Energy Suspension parts on multiple vehicles.

I agree that this sounds more like a brake problem, but to say that rubber control arm bushings don't wear out or that poly bushings are crap is just silly.
I have a couple of questions .
What positions would polly bushings be great on a street driven car and where are Energy Suspension Polly Bushings manufactured ? Which ones are "garbage" ?

Please note that I said that they were not prone to wearing out not that they don't wear out, I also didn't call polly bushings "crap" .

I believe we are talking about a street driven car here .

I don't mind being "quoted" but please don't add words like crap to my opinion's .

Regards Bill
Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've driven for at least 6 months with the lower rear bushing rubber almost all gone with the only noise produced was when braking the first time after going from reverse to forward or back. No brake pulling whatsoever.

If they look bad replace them as soon as you can, but you have a separate brake problem. Take a look at the opposite side brake.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

I have a couple of questions .
What positions would polly bushings be great on a street driven car and where are Energy Suspension Polly Bushings manufactured ? Which ones are "garbage" ?

Please note that I said that they were not prone to wearing out not that they don't wear out, I also didn't call polly bushings "crap" .

I believe we are talking about a street driven car here .

I don't mind being "quoted" but please don't add words like crap to my opinion's .

Regards Bill
I have yet to see a rubber suspension bushing that DIDN'T wear out over time. You should see the underside of my 1992 BMW.

OK, you said that they aren't a good idea. I've had good experience with ES bushings in multiple vehicles, so I'd have to disagree.

Poly is good for areas that should only rotate and not deflect - control arms, sway bars, etc. It's also good in stationary locations - body mounts, pinion mounts, spring link cushions, sway bar end links, etc. Trailing arms and lower rear links deflect and rotate, that's why I used spherical bearings in those locations. I've had several cars with ES poly bushings in proper locations, including daily drivers, and have had nothing but excellent results.

Energy Suspension bushings are made in the US. Not sure about the no-name stuff sold by some vendors, and I've known plenty of people who have had issues with Prothane parts.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:09 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Sorry, I thought this was the C-3 Corvette Forum and we were talking about the front lower controll arm bushings of a Corvette .

My mistake, Bill

http://www.energysuspension.com/who-we-are.html

Nowhere on their site do they state that their parts are made in USA .
Just that their engineering and manufacturing are done in the same place .My guess is China.

Bill

Last edited by 63split63; 05-20-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Sorry, I thought this was the C-3 Corvette Forum and we were talking about the front lower controll arm bushings of a Corvette .
I was using that as an example. If you want another one, you should have seen the suspension bushings in my 77 Corvette about 10 years ago. Hell, they were already in pretty lousy shape when my dad bought the car in 1991.

http://www.energysuspension.com/who-we-are.html

Nowhere on their site do they state that their parts are made in USA .
Just that their engineering and manufacturing are done in the same place .My guess is China.

Bill
Umm...on the page you just linked...
"We are proud to offer our customers the finest polyurethane suspension components available in the marketplace today. Our policy of manufacturing in-house from the initial R & D stages, to chemical formulation, molding and final packaging allows us to control every aspect of the manufacturing process. This ability produces a genuine American-made product and gives our customers absolute confidence in the ENERGY SUSPENSION name."

You can guess all you like. You'd be wrong.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:18 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

[

Umm...on the page you just linked...
"We are proud to offer our customers the finest polyurethane suspension components available in the marketplace today. Our policy of manufacturing in-house from the initial R & D stages, to chemical formulation, molding and final packaging allows us to control every aspect of the manufacturing process. This ability produces a genuine American-made product and gives our customers absolute confidence in the ENERGY SUSPENSION name."

You can guess all you like. You'd be wrong.[/QUOTE]

My Mistake ,
I'd be wrong,
Your correct on that point.

I still would never put polly bushings on a street driven Corvette . Been there , done that on my own Corvette and have removed many from customer 's cars who cant stand the rattling, squeaking noises .

Again , Bill
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there , done that on my own Corvette and have removed many from customer 's cars who cant stand the rattling, squeaking noises .
My Energy Suspension graphite impregnated bushings have never rattled or squeaked. And they've been installed for 2 decades. I even R&R'd the bushings when I installed offset upper control arms to gain more positive caster during last spring's rack & pinion install. They still looked like new.

Get notified of new replies

To Diagnose Lower Control Arm Bushings?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 AM
ted13b
Racer

Well, I picked up a new caliper last weekend. When I went to install it, it was obvious the runner brake hose was in bad shape. When I removed the hose, it was obvious the stell line was in bad shape...a few hours later, though, no more pulling. I also checked the right side, and that hose was in bad shape as well. One more problem resolved, thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you got it fixed, you really should consider doing the other side...doing just one is kinda like doing just one spark plug. All the others (unless they've been changed) are the same age and have the same wear and tear on them. Same for the hoses and master cylinder. You can do one axle at a time to limit the cost.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

My Mistake ,
I'd be wrong,
Your correct on that point.

I still would never put polly bushings on a street driven Corvette . Been there , done that on my own Corvette and have removed many from customer 's cars who cant stand the rattling, squeaking noises .

Again , Bill
I put about 100K on a set of Energy Suspension bushings in the AWD Eagle Talons I used to own - pulled them from the first car after I'd wrecked it with about 25k on the bushings, moved them to the second car and drove it until the engine blew, which was at least 75k more miles. They never once squeaked, and still looked like new when I sold the remains of the car. I don't have any where near as many miles on the red ES bushings on my 77 (front control arms, sway bar, sway bar links, body mounts, pinion bracket and rear spring links), but they've shown absolutely no signs of trouble. The problems you're describing, as I mentioned before, are signs of crap poly. The no-name Chinese stuff sold by a lot of the Corvette vendors is definitely junk, and I don't know if Prothane has cleaned up their act or not.

GOOD poly, properly lubricated with the sticky grease sold by ES, simply doesn't exhibit the problems you describe.

Quick Reply: Diagnose Lower Control Arm Bushings?