C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 Dyno Test- Auto Enthusiast Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:56 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

It's awful common for them to add weight penalties in a lot of those classes. The Hemi's carried them, stick cars often carry them over auto's, Cleveland heads over inline ones, etc. They are always trying to even the field when folks get too fast. It's all about reading the rule book BEFORE you select a car/engine/drivetrain to build.

I remember Buddy Ingersol when he ran 4 cyl Pinto's with turbos. He kpet getting faster...they kept adding weight...faster...weight...and it kept going until breakage was insane. He was running deep 9's, but blocks were breaking, flywheels coming off cranks and stuff like that. He later wanted to run a V-6 with a turbo in Pro Stock...but he was already fast enough to kill the class. Later he said he decided to build a small block Camaro like everyone else had. "Let them factor that" he said! So he ends up running a tiny smallblock with 2 Dominators on a tunnel ram that everyone said would never work and it was too much carb..until he cleaned house with it!

Fun stuff! This is where all the "spec" cars come from today. I was at the Indy 500 last weekend and watched the Chevy's and the Honda's duke it out under the same rules. The Lotus' got blackflagged for being too slow. Interesting to see what 2.2 Litres, 12000 RPM and only 4.4lbs of boost can do!

JIM
Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
It's awful common for them to add weight penalties in a lot of those classes. The Hemi's carried them, stick cars often carry them over auto's, Cleveland heads over inline ones, etc. They are always trying to even the field when folks get too fast. It's all about reading the rule book BEFORE you select a car/engine/drivetrain to build.

I remember Buddy Ingersol when he ran 4 cyl Pinto's with turbos. He kpet getting faster...they kept adding weight...faster...weight...and it kept going until breakage was insane. He was running deep 9's, but blocks were breaking, flywheels coming off cranks and stuff like that. He later wanted to run a V-6 with a turbo in Pro Stock...but he was already fast enough to kill the class. Later he said he decided to build a small block Camaro like everyone else had. "Let them factor that" he said! So he ends up running a tiny smallblock with 2 Dominators on a tunnel ram that everyone said would never work and it was too much carb..until he cleaned house with it!

Fun stuff! This is where all the "spec" cars come from today. I was at the Indy 500 last weekend and watched the Chevy's and the Honda's duke it out under the same rules. The Lotus' got blackflagged for being too slow. Interesting to see what 2.2 Litres, 12000 RPM and only 4.4lbs of boost can do!

JIM
I figured it was because glidden did not have a wedge head engine. But its supposed to be pro stock lol. Ford did use the canted valve head as stock production.

I noticed the mention of OTHER engines in nascar had to run one four barrel. Air does not like to go around turns as strait a shot as possible is always desired. Having two fours in line on an engine that has head intake ports spread out wide not simeased. Having a manifold with two fours and straiter runers in the manifold a real advantage. making the hemi run one carb was just another atempt out of many to slow the hemi down. Its real tall deck height super heavy pistons were a real disadvantage for the hemi in drag racing were they were trying to run higher rpms then what was being turned for hours on end in nascar.

This is what i hate about racing if you build something better the rules people will just work to take there advantage away.

I have not been to a major drag event since they went to 1000 ft racing. Will never go to one again. $65.00 dollars to see the race, rediculous food prices to be screwed out of a full race. Force the shorter shut down area strips to shut down or build new locations don't screw over the fans.

Grand prix racing drivers were getting killed in the 60s 70s constantly, one out of three were getting killed. The drivers still got in the car did there job knowing the real high risk. Today in drag racing we have sissys, oh my god i might get hurt.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 05-31-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 427 Dyno Test- Auto Enthusiast Magazine