C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking Power Steering Oil

Old 05-28-2012, 03:06 AM
ex9850
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Checking Power Steering Oil

I just got my 1978 SA Vette back from having the engine rebuilt. That mechanic and I have parted company,The power steering no longer works. The PS belt is turning. Do you have to remove the alternator or something to get to the power steering unit? Other things do not work but right now the PS is first on my list? if the fluid is not low is there anything else I can check myself (I am about a one on a wrenching scale of 1 to 10)
Old 05-28-2012, 03:17 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

with the engine off, use two fingers and turn the ps cap counter clockwise, gently pull it up and out., pita
Old 05-28-2012, 05:40 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

Try to put on a shorter belt to move the cap towards the crank pulley, or a longer belt if there is room that way.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

PITA to check or fill the PS pump. It is tight and below the Alternator.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-28-2012, 04:41 PM
ex9850
Instructor

It was a pita. I managed to get the lid off and there was no power steering fluid in the unit. Bought some power steering fluid and fabricated a long nose funnel until it fit well enough to fill the reservoir. Of course, I managed to over fill it and got the pleasure of cleaning up the mess. Thanks guys.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:20 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Geez.. Just loosen the alternator, remove its belt, then pull it outward. Voila'! Now you can get at the P/S cap. Buy a long-neck funnel if you need to add fluid; but do it slowly, as that type funnel takes a while for the oil to get to the bottom. For as infrequently as you need to service the P/S pump, loosening a couple of 'exta' bolts is not big deal. But, if you need to remove the pump (unlikely that the pump is the 'problem' with P/S non-functional), it's best removed from below.

My suggestion is that you spend your spare time, this week, rounding up a new mechanic. Call some car clubs in your area...Corvette club if there is one there. Make a list of possible mechanics that have knowledge on C3's/Corvettes with some names of their customers that you can contact for their assessment of skill level, quality of work, and their usual costs (labor rate per hour). There are always good folks around. It's just difficult to find them at first. But, with you owning a C3 and being a 1.0 on mechanical capability, you really need to find a good "go to" mechanic for those things you choose not to do.

P.S. Whenever you have work to do on your car, check on the Forum for advice on how best to go about it...even if you find a good mechanic. There is a lot of experience and wisdom here that can help you make good decisions on the best and least expensive way to get stuff done on your car.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 05-28-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
There is a lot of experience and wisdom here that can help you make good decisions on the best and least expensive way to get stuff done on your car.
In fact, some forum members seem to frequent the C3 section morning, noon and night looking for problems to solve. All for free.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:41 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Some folks who frequent 'Forums' are looking for help. Some other folks do their best to 'try' offering assistance. Other folks are just a PITA and are relatively useless participants on a Forum [and they know who they are!].

When I first found the Corvette Forum, I was someone in need of that help/knowledge. The CF was a great source of information for me and helped me learn a great deal about the C3 and its nuances. That info...combined with working my @ss off for about 5 years in every system on this car...provided me with a working knowledge that I now choose to use in helping other folks who "come calling". Hopefully, some of that stuff is helpful to others.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a pretty long reach and I found that leaning across from the passenger side is by far the easiest access.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

whoever at GM came up with that brilliant alternator mount needs beat about the head and shoulders! it's far from user friendly!

Get notified of new replies

To Checking Power Steering Oil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Checking Power Steering Oil