Motor Oil "Wear Test" and "Lab Test" Data - Page 16 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Motor Oil "Wear Test" and "Lab Test" Data

Old 01-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #301
itsonlyairandfuel
CF Senior Member

I use some of his top oils, and they are factory fills by more than one manufacturer. I don't think they would spend the time to explain their reasons. It sure would be interesting if they would. Ron B.
itsonlyairandfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #302
CiCiC3
CF Senior Member

Thanks for your write-up, I was looking for some discussion on the timing for oil changes since I've heard that with the newly advanced synthetics you can extend intervals up to a year. However there are lots of variables to consider. How well does just eyeballing it work, if it looks dirty change it? If it does look dirty I would think it's time to change with the only danger being possibly the viscosity of the oil could have broken down even when it still looks on the cleaner side yet. I don't know as that would or could happen using a modern full synthetic though.
CiCiC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #303
63mako
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlyairandfuel View Post
Looking forward to in depth test on oil to disprove 540. which one of you are going to do the testing to disprove him? New information is always good.
Disprove what? His methodology tests the film strength breaking point period. Once the film breaks then and only then the ZDDP molecule is sheared and the sacrificial layer of phosphorous is deposited on the areas the film has been broken. This phosphorous deposit is what prevents metal to metal contact after the film is sheared. His test ends once the film shears. This testing in no way can determine the long term or protective properties of the oil AFTER the film strength is compromised. This is why he comes to the incorrect conclusion that ZDDP content does not matter regarding flat tappet lobe wear. The pressures at the hydraulic flat tappet cam lobe lifter interface is over 200,000 PSI in a stock, low lift, slow ramp rate application. A high lift solid flat tappet with big spring pressures could easily see double that or more. ALL of his oils failed at below 130,000 PSI and his test ends then, before ZDDP protection is a factor.
High film strength is an advantage but only one of numerous factors that determine long term wear prevention.
Take this information as it should be taken. an accurate study and list of the film strength breaking point of new oils at operating temperature but DON'T bet your race motor on an improperly drawn conclusion that film strength alone will protect that critical lobe/lifter interface because it can't and it won't.
63mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Motor Oil "Wear Test" and "Lab Test" Data
  •