Motor Oil "Wear Test" and "Lab Test" Data - Page 16 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Motor Oil "Wear Test" and "Lab Test" Data

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #301
itsonlyairandfuel
CF Senior Member
 
itsonlyairandfuel's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: SPEARFISH SD USA South Dakota
Posts: 916
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I use some of his top oils, and they are factory fills by more than one manufacturer. I don't think they would spend the time to explain their reasons. It sure would be interesting if they would. Ron B.
itsonlyairandfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #302
CiCiC3
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2011
Location: Denver Co
Posts: 122
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for your write-up, I was looking for some discussion on the timing for oil changes since I've heard that with the newly advanced synthetics you can extend intervals up to a year. However there are lots of variables to consider. How well does just eyeballing it work, if it looks dirty change it? If it does look dirty I would think it's time to change with the only danger being possibly the viscosity of the oil could have broken down even when it still looks on the cleaner side yet. I don't know as that would or could happen using a modern full synthetic though.
CiCiC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #303
63mako
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
 
63mako's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Millington Illinois
Posts: 10,505
Thanked 68 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlyairandfuel View Post
Looking forward to in depth test on oil to disprove 540. which one of you are going to do the testing to disprove him? New information is always good.
Disprove what? His methodology tests the film strength breaking point period. Once the film breaks then and only then the ZDDP molecule is sheared and the sacrificial layer of phosphorous is deposited on the areas the film has been broken. This phosphorous deposit is what prevents metal to metal contact after the film is sheared. His test ends once the film shears. This testing in no way can determine the long term or protective properties of the oil AFTER the film strength is compromised. This is why he comes to the incorrect conclusion that ZDDP content does not matter regarding flat tappet lobe wear. The pressures at the hydraulic flat tappet cam lobe lifter interface is over 200,000 PSI in a stock, low lift, slow ramp rate application. A high lift solid flat tappet with big spring pressures could easily see double that or more. ALL of his oils failed at below 130,000 PSI and his test ends then, before ZDDP protection is a factor.
High film strength is an advantage but only one of numerous factors that determine long term wear prevention.
Take this information as it should be taken. an accurate study and list of the film strength breaking point of new oils at operating temperature but DON'T bet your race motor on an improperly drawn conclusion that film strength alone will protect that critical lobe/lifter interface because it can't and it won't.
63mako is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 63mako For This Useful Post:
68post (08-12-2017), mr.beachcomber (08-26-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #304
itsonlyairandfuel
CF Senior Member
 
itsonlyairandfuel's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: SPEARFISH SD USA South Dakota
Posts: 916
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

So do a test as you described and let us know the best oil. I want to know, not just repeat what you have heard. Thanks Ron B.
itsonlyairandfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #305
lurch59
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Rapid City South Dakota
Posts: 636
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiCiC3 View Post
Thanks for your write-up, I was looking for some discussion on the timing for oil changes since I've heard that with the newly advanced synthetics you can extend intervals up to a year. However there are lots of variables to consider. How well does just eyeballing it work, if it looks dirty change it? If it does look dirty I would think it's time to change with the only danger being possibly the viscosity of the oil could have broken down even when it still looks on the cleaner side yet. I don't know as that would or could happen using a modern full synthetic though.
You ask some good questions. Amsoil has been offering extended drain intervals for, I think, decades. I know I have been using Amsoil for about 10 years, and I have put 30-40k miles on the same oil but I test my oil annually. I think I could go longer.

The oil color isn't really helpful, for instance my diesel oil looks black as soon as I change it. A big problem is viscosity changes due to fuel dilution in some situations. The TBN number is also important as it keeps oil from going acidic. I like high TBN number oils because they have more of a buffer.

I've got 3 cars I've had over ten years, some I've put close to 200k miles on. It works for me, I have enough routing maintenance to do on Saturdays without wasting my time changing oil needlessly.

Just my .02 worth
lurch59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #306
lurch59
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: May 2013
Location: Rapid City South Dakota
Posts: 636
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlyairandfuel View Post
So do a test as you described and let us know the best oil. I want to know, not just repeat what you have heard. Thanks Ron B.
Hi Ron,

Amsoil is the only company I know of that publishes independent lab test results and compares their oils against others. When I was doing the research years ago, I was satisfied they were the best overall oil for my needs. Are there other excellent oils out there? Sure, but my recommendation would be to stick with a PAO/PE based synthetic. The rest is up to the manufacturers additives, which do vary.

I used to subscribe to an oil tribologists newsletter. The truth is the subject is very complicated and not easily "blogged" about. It helps to have a solid chemistry background.
lurch59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:13 PM   #307
63mako
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
 
63mako's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Millington Illinois
Posts: 10,505
Thanked 68 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlyairandfuel View Post
So do a test as you described and let us know the best oil. I want to know, not just repeat what you have heard. Thanks Ron B.
High film strength is an advantage but only one of numerous factors that determine long term wear prevention.
Take this information as it should be taken. an accurate study and list of the film strength breaking point of new oils at operating temperature but DON'T bet your race motor on an improperly drawn conclusion that film strength alone will protect that critical lobe/lifter interface because it can't and it won't.
63mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:42 AM   #308
pauldana
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
pauldana's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: LA county ca
Posts: 8,594
Thanked 95 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63mako View Post
High film strength is an advantage but only one of numerous factors that determine long term wear prevention.
Take this information as it should be taken. an accurate study and list of the film strength breaking point of new oils at operating temperature but DON'T bet your race motor on an improperly drawn conclusion that film strength alone will protect that critical lobe/lifter interface because it can't and it won't.
Give it up mako.. I gave up on this thread a long time ago..

For what it's worth.. for those that know me..
63mako is dead nuts, 100% correct...

Hey.. but don't believe me or mako.. go right ahead and put a low zink oil in your new flat tapped bad *** build, and build it again in 1000 miles:-)

And I'll laugh my *** off.... because you have been warned..
Good luck with that..

Peace.. pauldana
pauldana is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pauldana For This Useful Post:
63mako (07-29-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #309
jim2527
CF Senior Member
 
jim2527's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 14,259
Thanked 86 Times in 80 Posts
Default

What do these comments mean?


Quote:
1. Well known and respected Engineer and Tech Author David Vizard, whose own test data, largely based on real world engine dyno testing, has concluded that more zinc can be damaging, more zinc does not provide today's best wear protection, and that using zinc as the primary anti-wear component, is outdated technology.

2. The GM Oil Report titled, "Oil Myths from GM Techlink", concluded that high levels of zinc are damaging and that more zinc does not provide more wear protection.

3. A motor oil research article written by Ed Hackett titled, "More than you ever wanted to know about Motor Oil", concluded that more zinc does not provide more wear protection, it only provides longer wear protection.
I understand #3, once you get to 1000ppm anything more only prolongs protection. But what do statement #1 and #2 mean? How is more zinc damaging?

Last edited by jim2527; 08-21-2017 at 03:55 PM.
jim2527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:07 PM   #310
fishslayer143
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: new iberia la
Posts: 1,076
Thanked 111 Times in 103 Posts
Default

I have a better idea.... lose the flat tappet dinosaur , go full roller and synthetic oils ... forget about zinc.. its 2017
fishslayer143 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fishslayer143 For This Useful Post:
68post (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #311
lionelhutz
CF Senior Member
 
lionelhutz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: South Western Ontario
Posts: 8,504
Thanked 238 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63mako View Post
High film strength is an advantage but only one of numerous factors that determine long term wear prevention.
Take this information as it should be taken. an accurate study and list of the film strength breaking point of new oils at operating temperature but DON'T bet your race motor on an improperly drawn conclusion that film strength alone will protect that critical lobe/lifter interface because it can't and it won't.
This isn't even true without a peer review of the test method.

It's utter madness to put faith in "test" results posted on the internet without any way to verify the tests were done accurately. Personally, refusing to submit to any kind of peer review tells me that there is an ulterior motive behind these posts.
lionelhutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #312
lionelhutz
CF Senior Member
 
lionelhutz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: South Western Ontario
Posts: 8,504
Thanked 238 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2527 View Post
What do these comments mean?




I understand #3, once you get to 1000ppm anything more only prolongs protection. But what do statement #1 and #2 mean? How is more zinc damaging?

He's trying to use the data out of context. He's trying to use it to prove that the zinc content doesn't matter. The data actually says that a certain amount is required for protection, but too much starts to cause damage. Somewhere >2000ppm could start to be damaging, but I haven't looked for any data which goes into much detail on how much damage or how fast the damage occurs.
lionelhutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #313
Les
CF Senior Member
 
Les's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Sierra Foothills CA
Posts: 7,947
Thanked 322 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
This isn't even true without a peer review of the test method.

It's utter madness to put faith in "test" results posted on the internet without any way to verify the tests were done accurately. Personally, refusing to submit to any kind of peer review tells me that there is an ulterior motive behind these posts.
What you said, combined with 540 RAT's continued unwillingness and inability to respond to simple questions here about his testing methodology, leaves him with zero credibility to me.
Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #314
Mark_Milner
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: FL
Posts: 4,339
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 31 Posts
Default

One thing that would be helpful is since talk about flat tappet protection depends somewhat on spring pressures, maybe including some spring pressures and how much zinc would be a good idea.

Something like:

xxx lb - light pressure, aaaa ppm ZDDP needed

yyy lb - moderate pressure, bbbb ppm ZDDP needed

zzz lb - heavy pressure, cccc ppm ZDDP needed

Yes, ti says we need at least 1000 ppm, but then it is mentioned in several locations you can get away with less with light pressures and slow easy ramps, but need more with heavy pressures and aggressive ramps. But what are we really looking at on pressures ramps?
Mark_Milner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #315
AirBusPilot
CF Senior Member
 
AirBusPilot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 5,518
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Default

I've honestly never seen, nor even heard of an engine blowing it's guts out based strictly on the oil.

Yeah, I know, "flat tappets and zinc". I ran plain 10w30 Valvoline in my solid lifter Pontiac RAIV engine. It's still running after being built in 2000. I checked valve clearance 8 years ago, and they were perfect. Comp Cams.

So, I stopped worrying about oil. Pick any oil anywhere near the top of 540 RAT's list, and you should never have an oil worry, ever.
AirBusPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #316
Les
CF Senior Member
 
Les's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Sierra Foothills CA
Posts: 7,947
Thanked 322 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBusPilot View Post
I've honestly never seen, nor even heard of an engine blowing it's guts out based strictly on the oil.

Yeah, I know, "flat tappets and zinc". I ran plain 10w30 Valvoline in my solid lifter Pontiac RAIV engine. It's still running after being built in 2000. I checked valve clearance 8 years ago, and they were perfect. Comp Cams.

So, I stopped worrying about oil. Pick any oil anywhere near the top of 540 RAT's list, and you should never have an oil worry, ever.
Good to know. So, all those cam break in failures that have taken place over the years don't count because you personally haven't had one.
Les is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #317
AirBusPilot
CF Senior Member
 
AirBusPilot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 5,518
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Good to know. So, all those cam break in failures that have taken place over the years don't count because you personally haven't had one.
Sarcastic, but good question.

I've heard core issues being a problem, too.

Pick one of the top oils that has decent zinc/phos if you want to run a flat tappet cam.

If I were to build the same engine, I'd go roller and gain 40hp.
AirBusPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #318
Les
CF Senior Member
 
Les's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Sierra Foothills CA
Posts: 7,947
Thanked 322 Times in 223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBusPilot View Post
Sarcastic, but good question.

I've heard core issues being a problem, too.

Pick one of the top oils that has decent zinc/phos if you want to run a flat tappet cam.

If I were to build the same engine, I'd go roller and gain 40hp.
Yessir, from what I've read it looks like bad cores and no zinc in break-in oils have both been an issue for flat tappet cams. And I agree- doing a fresh engine would include a roller cam for me too. The sarcasm was only intended to make a point, not to be too biting. Apologies if it came across too strongly.
Les is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Les For This Useful Post:
AirBusPilot (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #319
63mako
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
 
63mako's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Millington Illinois
Posts: 10,505
Thanked 68 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBusPilot View Post
I've honestly never seen, nor even heard of an engine blowing it's guts out based strictly on the oil.

Yeah, I know, "flat tappets and zinc". I ran plain 10w30 Valvoline in my solid lifter Pontiac RAIV engine. It's still running after being built in 2000. I checked valve clearance 8 years ago, and they were perfect. Comp Cams.

So, I stopped worrying about oil. Pick any oil anywhere near the top of 540 RAT's list, and you should never have an oil worry, ever.
SL oils were in use until the end of 2004 They had 1000-1400 PPM Zinc and Phosphorous. This means your cam was broken in and run 4-5 years on high zinc oils. Initial spring pressures drop 10-20% after break in. You say you checked valve clearances about 8 years ago. That would be 2009. You already had broken it in and run on High Zinc oil for 4-5 years. Then ran with lesser content for 4-5 years. How many miles? How hard do you run it? I would check it again because with a solid flat tappet on 800PPM ZDDP and below for 8 years since checking your asking for trouble. I had a massive flat tappet cam failure in 2006 on Rotella. I know for a fact that the cam and lifters were lubed well, Springs were matched to cam, proper height setup, it was prelubed, it had proper springs and retaioners, Retainer to guide clearance was correct, Valve adjustment was right, Break in oil was used, cut filter open after break in looked great, Dropped oil ran Rotella 500 miles dropped that, refilled with Rotella, started running rough before 3000 miles. Wiped 4 lobes, never redlined it. Did a ton of research, befriended a Tribologist that actually sets up and calibrates oil testing equipment all over the country and pick his brain constantly, subscribed to his journals, hung out on the Bob is the oil guy forum because I wanted to learn. Been studying pretty in depth for 10 years now. This cost me $6000 that I could not spare. It also cost me quite a few years of my hobby as my car was down with no way to get it going. Never want to see it happen to anyone else. This is my motivation for speaking up. Cam companies, oil companies, racing teams, top engine builders, tribologists and anyone tied closely to this issue with more than basic knowledge have a unanimous consensus. Lowered ZDDP is the reason for the rash of cam failures after 2006 and SL levels of 1000 or higher protect that high pressure lobe/lifer interface better due to the sacrificial phosphorous deposited as the ZDDP shears. EVERYONE, except 1 guy, 540Rat.

Last edited by 63mako; 09-07-2017 at 10:15 PM.
63mako is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 63mako For This Useful Post:
68post (10-10-2017), AirBusPilot (09-08-2017), lionelhutz (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 10:49 PM   #320
63mako
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
 
63mako's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2005
Location: Millington Illinois
Posts: 10,505
Thanked 68 Times in 60 Posts
Default

63mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Motor Oil "Wear Test" and "Lab Test" Data
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    List of Flat-Tappet Oils billla C3 Tech/Performance 718 10-23-2017 10:48 PM
    Test Data on Amsoil Dominator Racing Oil 540 RAT C3 Tech/Performance 15 08-15-2017 10:18 PM
    Oil Reviews-let the discussion begin sycraft C7 Tech/Performance 14 04-29-2016 08:35 PM
    Quaker State’s New “Defy” Motor Oil – Lab Test and Wear Test Data 540 RAT C3 Tech/Performance 20 04-27-2016 07:57 AM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:08 PM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: