C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked fiberglass front bumper on my '74 convertible - repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:16 AM
brian717
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked fiberglass front bumper on my '74 convertible - repair or replace?

So, my front bumper is chipped and cracked. I'm trying to figure out what would be cheaper - replacing it or repairing it.

I have found a TruFlex replacement online for about $300, but I understand that between fitting and painting it, the body work can still get expensive. Would it make more sense to just see if a body shop can repair it?

I'd appreciate any advice I can get. Pic of the damage is below (couldn't get the image embedding to work, had to link to it):

http://sdrv.ms/Ofb5X8

Last edited by brian717; 06-11-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Trying to get the link to the image to work...
Old 06-11-2012, 02:23 AM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's fibreglass. Have a go at repairing it. Research what resin to use with that brand of bumper first. As Rob Schneider says in Adam Sandler movies, "You can do it!" Plenty of how to guides online and help on the forum.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:31 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Relatively easy fix,go for it!Some basic fiberglass repair kit,filler,high solid spray can primer,and paint the bumper.Give it a try,the worse that can happen is you have to buy a new cover and give it to the pro's.

Of course,by this time tomorrow,you will get more than one reply that nothing short of a body off restoration will properly fix that,your frame is surely bent and the car is obviously unfit and unsafe to drive until then...

Get notified of new replies

To Cracked fiberglass front bumper on my '74 convertible - repair or replace?

Quick Reply: Cracked fiberglass front bumper on my '74 convertible - repair or replace?