C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 Vette Carburator Wire

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:28 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 Vette Carburator Wire

I was driving, pushed the gas and the gas was stuck at a little over idel. I popped the hood and the accelerator wire was frayed and sticking in the cable housing. Is there a kit that will allow me to clip the wire and replace the wire between the fire wall and the carb? I hear it's a bear to replace the whole wiring to the carb.

Last edited by C3 Vette Dude; 07-08-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Need help quick. Can only drive at Idel!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

You need to replace the throttle cable. No - there is no kit to cut and splice the cable, and that would be a really bad idea. Buy a new cable and replace it.

Lars
Old 07-08-2012, 06:56 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah, it's a bitch, but it has to be done. It's kind of like saying "Only the bottom of the tire is flat, can't I just replace the flat part?" No, you have to replace the whole tire. Don't worry, it's not that bad.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Its been awhile but I don't remember that style of cable being a problem.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Aussie79
Racer

Default Power steering low at idle

I agree with Lars, do it properly and replace it.

Last edited by Aussie79; 07-09-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:53 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Its been awhile but I don't remember that style of cable being a problem.
It's not uncommon for hi-mileage cables to fray and wear. I've even seen them break.

Originally Posted by Aussie79
I just replaced my P.Steer pump with a reconditioned one, I am happy with the pump but it doesnt feel the same as my orginal one, the steering is a little heavier at cruise speed (say about 10%) but at idle it is really heavy, its only a problem if parallel parking or turning in to a car park at idle speed. I am using ATF Dexron III fluid which I am told is sufficient for these pumps. Is there any adjustments I can make to increase the pressure or is that a function of the pump and the internal valves only?

Thanks, Dennis.
What in the world does that have to do with a frayed throttle cable replacement..??
Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Default throttle cable

Ok, so here we go. Where do I start on replacing the carb cable. How long will it take and does anyone have pics of this process. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Default Carb cable

Do you know how to replace it. After futher investigation. I noticed not only was tge wire frayed but the wire housing around the wire us what caused it to fray. Is there a complete kit for this and who makes it. How long did it take you to finish this task! Thanks in advanced... QUOTE=lars;1581265396]You need to replace the throttle cable. No - there is no kit to cut and splice the cable, and that would be a really bad idea. Buy a new cable and replace it.

Lars[/QUOTE]
Old 07-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Aussie79
Racer

Originally Posted by lars
It's not uncommon for hi-mileage cables to fray and wear. I've even seen them break.

What in the world does that have to do with a frayed throttle cable replacement..??
LOL, this was supposed to be a new post, not a comment to this post, my bad, corrected now.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by lars
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant , I don't remember it being a problem to replace.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by C3 Vette Dude
Ok, so here we go. Where do I start on replacing the carb cable. How long will it take and does anyone have pics of this process. Thanks for your help.
Here are a couple pics of what I believe to be the cable for your car.
The hardest part I can remember is bending down under the dash to get the cable through the slot in the throttle linkage arm.The bottom pic is the gas pedal end.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 AM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Default Accelerator cable/ carb cable

Man I love this forum. Those pictures are exactly what I need to replace. I am online now tring to find the part. I don't know how to replace it yet. I might need a little guidance. If anyone can share the easiest way to do that it would be great. I recently replaced my rear main seal in my garage on my back in the heat. I had no idea how to start the job. I read some of these forums and one said I needed to loosen the motor mounts, jack the motor up and the pan would slide out. (That's True it would work) but the easiest to me was this. The next one said to loosen the bolts to the front steering (Rack) lower it and the pan will come out without jacking up the motor. It worked!!!!!!! I am so thankful for this forum and the guys that have had the experience with these awesome Vettes. Thank you!!! I will return the favor in my experiences as I learn.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Where do I start on replacing the carb cable...
Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) and take a look at how the cable was installed at St. Louis. Order a replacement throttle cable when you order the AIM.

...How long will it take...
How are your mechanical skills? Old cable comes out; new cable goes in. AIM tells how to position the cable correctly at the carburetor.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:19 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Default accelerator cable

Do you or anyone have the instructions for the replacement of the cable. I mechnically inclined, but most times it's easier if someone tell you when they have already don't that type of job.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C3,
It is very easy. You will have to disconnect the gas pedal (there are two bolts I think) and flip the pedal up to disconnect the cable. Once you pull the pedal up you will see. Watch how it feeds up through all the wires under your dash and pull it out from the engine compartment.

The part that is up by the carb (the big square piece that is in rogers picture), you will have to get a pair of pliers and squeeze it together and it will slide out towards the front. Disconnect the bolt on the carb and reverse the whole procedure. 1 hour max!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Default accelerator

I'm waiting for the part to come in now. I will take some pics so the next person could use the information. Thanks for the info and i'm glad you could understand what I posted. I think I can work on the Vette better than I can write a sentence or spell. Thank you again!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

I am attempting this job tonight. I will let you know later. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 79 Vette Carburator Wire

Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Default Carburator cable/accelerator cable

We'll it worked out great. I just turned myself upside down on the driver side unscrewed the gas pedal. Unhooked the throttle cable from the top of the pedal shaft. Run the old wire back through the fire wall and unattached it. Basically doing the same thing in reverse and it hooked up fine and works great. Pretty easy task. Just a little uncomfortable! I know muscles that I don't use all the time. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

We'll it worked out great. I just turned myself upside down on the driver side unscrewed the gas pedal. Unhooked the throttle cable from the top of the pedal shaft. Run the old wire back through the fire wall and unattached it. Basically doing the same thing in reverse and it hooked up fine and works great. Pretty easy task. Just a little uncomfortable! I know muscles that I don't use all the time. Thank you!
Was your pedal slotted at the top ?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 PM
C3 Vette Dude
Instructor

Default carb cable

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Was your pedal slotted at the top ?
Yes, there was a slit in the top of the pedal. I'm glad that was there or it would have taken longer.

Quick Reply: 79 Vette Carburator Wire