C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repairing fiberglass nose on a 70

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Daleford
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Repairing fiberglass nose on a 70

I run a small bodyshop and repair fiberglass from time to time. I have a custom 70 comming in that has had a hard life. The narrow strip of fiberglass between the head light and the bumper is cracked. To me this would be a hard area to repair correctly and make it last. Is there a special repair piece to bond underneath for this problem?
The customer is considering replacing the flip up head lights and mounting them in the grille area. I remember seeing a bond in panel for the headlight holes in the old days. Is that still available?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi D,
I can only reply about the narrow forward most area of the hood surround.
There is a formed metal re-inforcement strip that runs from side to side behind the fiberglass, and is riveted to the fiberglass using soft aluminium flat headed rivets that are peened to set. You see them exposed (and painted) when the bumper is off.
They are readily available if the car you're going to be working on needs a new one.
Even if you change the head light location I'd say that strip is still critical for shaping the fiberglass so the bumper fits well. (Unless it doesn't have a bumper?).
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-15-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Daleford
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for that. Yes, this car has a bumper and I see the metal reinforcement rivited [and bonded? ] to the front of the surround. Because this car has been hit in a minor way, I had planned to replace that metal strip because I feel the old one is mis-shaped.

Get notified of new replies

To Repairing fiberglass nose on a 70

Quick Reply: Repairing fiberglass nose on a 70