C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front wheel hits the frame in turn

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 AM
pvana
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front wheel hits the frame in turn

Hello

my front right tire hits frame during sharp right turn.
I have checked limiters in lower a-arm but they are too far to prevent it. is there any other way to set the turn limit so tire does not contact the frame?
thanks in advance for your answers!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:48 AM
brando1118
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no suspension expert, but by not providing rim size, tire size, suspension modifications (if any) and steering mods (if any) is going to get you few, if any responses.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 AM
pvana
Intermediate

you are absolutely right sorry.

all is stock 15" original rims nad tires. I have had body off frame and assembled back + whell alignmnet done
Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pvana

...my front right tire hits frame during sharp right turn.
My left front tire used to rub the frame but it didn't do any damage to the tire. It scuffed the frame paint a little. Big deal. How much time do you spend at full right lock?

I eventually corrected it by installing a Steeroids rack & pinion which has less overall steering travel.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Konkol1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When I switched from p225/70 to p255/60, I also have the same ever so slight rub on the frame. Doesn't bother me because like 69 Chevy said, the time spent at full lock is slim to none.
Dale
Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

exactly what size tire do you have? any worn bushings in lower or upper A arms? Did the alignment require more than a normal amount of shims on the upper A arm?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 AM
pvana
Intermediate

Thanks for your input. It seems I am in the same situation. I just thought there might be a way to correct it. I could weld an extra piece of metal on lower a-arm but it is just painted so i might leave it the way it is and remember when i turn :-)
Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pvana
Hello

my front right tire hits frame during sharp right turn.
I have checked limiters in lower a-arm but they are too far to prevent it. is there any other way to set the turn limit so tire does not contact the frame?
thanks in advance for your answers!
Mine used to hit slightly and I had 225 70-15's on it. Last summer I rebuilt the entire front with all new bushings, it stopped rubbing. I have since put on 255/50-17's all the way around and it does not rub at all, so my issue was one of worn out control arm bushings. Might be worth a check on yours.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:56 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the front tire just lightly brush the frame, or really crash into the frame?. I believe many of the C3's have some of that issue.
I think Chevrolet knew about it. Look at the frame where the tire hits. You'll see no sharp edges. Notice the three bolts holding the steering box on are smooth top carriage bolts, not hex head. If the contact is occasional and light, just turn up the radio.
Second, I suspect that if the camber was adjusted to be a LOT more negative than stock, it might increase the tendency of the tire to rub the frame. A bunch of positive castor may also make it worse.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:49 AM
pvana
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
Does the front tire just lightly brush the frame, or really crash into the frame?. I believe many of the C3's have some of that issue.
I think Chevrolet knew about it. Look at the frame where the tire hits. You'll see no sharp edges. Notice the three bolts holding the steering box on are smooth top carriage bolts, not hex head. If the contact is occasional and light, just turn up the radio.
Second, I suspect that if the camber was adjusted to be a LOT more negative than stock, it might increase the tendency of the tire to rub the frame. A bunch of positive castor may also make it worse.
You are right it just brushes the paint off the frame. It is good to know I am not the only one :-) anyway I had frame off, new ball joints, I set the castor and camber myself, stock wheels and tires - not many shims in steeting were used and car handles very well. Oh well - I learn how to live with it! Thanks again for feedback.

Get notified of new replies

To front wheel hits the frame in turn

Quick Reply: front wheel hits the frame in turn