C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump wiring HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:04 PM
malicatasr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuel pump wiring HELP!!!

I swapped out my stock 82 electric fuel pump for a mechanical unit from a older unit out of a 78. I ditched all the fuel injection stuff and added a carb. I'm trying to get my fuel guage to work.

The 82 wiring diagram shows a pink wire to the sending unit and a ground (black). However The stock 82 harness has the following wires. Brown with white strip/pink/black. Would it be correct to assume that the pink is still the sending wire and black is grnd. The old sending unit has a blade connector on the outside for a ground and push on connector (sending) .. I'm a little concerened about wiring the fuel tank incorrectly???

Old 07-28-2012, 07:23 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just looked at the sending unit for a 82 from Ecklers. Looks like it has a plug to marry up with your wiring harness but no blade for ground like earlier ones have.

Do you have a pic of your sending unit? A PO may have put one in that isn't for an 82.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Can ou look at the sender and see the wires coming off the connector?

If not, the power wire should be easy to find with a meter or test light. As for the other 2, turn the key on and ground each of them. The ground wire will do nothing when you ground it but the guage wire will make the gauge go to E when you ground it.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 AM
malicatasr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured it all out the black was neg and the pink went back to the fuel guage circuit board.. Everything works great.. Thank everybody

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pump wiring HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel pump wiring HELP!!!