C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment on a '76

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:38 PM
'76stingraycolorado
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment on a '76

Hello,

I noticed that the insides of all four tires on my '76 were nearly completely bald, while the outside of the tires still had plenty of tread. I assume this is an alignment issue.

I'm a little concerned If I take the car to an "alignment shop," that they are going to come back with a laundry list of repair items or items that need to be replaced without me really understanding what parts are involved in that project.

I know my car also needs a suspension rebuild. Just curious if the two jobs require replacing many of the same parts, or if I should tackle each separately.

I guess I'm Not sure where to begin...

If I should handle the alignment as a separate project, can you tell me what parts should be replaced? Along with the "while you're under there..." parts as well?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. Sorry is my question is too vague. I'm fairly inexperienced at working on my car. I've been learning with every project and this forum is an awesome resource for assisting a "rookie" Vette owner.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:40 AM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alignment on these older cars is something that can scare the new mechanics. The best thing to do is to find a place that knows older cars. Order the parts that you will need, including spacers. They likely won't have this stuff at a local shop.

Are you replacing springs in your suspension? If you are doing springs and other major components then do that then get an alignment.

If you are only doing shocks then get your alignment done right away.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:44 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...nt+end+rebuild
this may help
Old 07-30-2012, 11:41 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you rebuild your suspension you will need to get an alignment. Rebuild the suspension first.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment on a '76

Quick Reply: Alignment on a '76