C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 2 New Starter Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 09:34 PM
Countryside Cafe
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Old 2 New Starter Wiring

Landing wires to a new starter on my new SBC engine. I thought I marked down where each wire goes, but there is a black wire with the same loop connector as the red that goes to starter +POS. A single red wire with small spade that was on the orig starter now connects to small lug on new starter. The black wire in question has the larger loop and seems to have same form as red wire like they were together. I just do not want to connct the black to the large +POS terminal if it is a NEG. Can anyone confirm that the blackwire does land on the POS starter term with the red wire?? The manual I have did not show it.
Thx
Old 01-27-2023, 09:43 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,135 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Year of car?
Did you just replace the starter or is the a complete wiring / engine out type of thing?
M

The reason I ask is there's a smaller black wire with a larger eyelet that actually goes to the transmission bolt as a ground but it comes down with the rest of the starter wires and is frequently mixed up
Old 01-27-2023, 09:48 PM
Countryside Cafe
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Just the starter, that black wire is in the loop with the rest I and think I traced it up to relays I think higher up on the fire wall, then going to air conditioning box.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:49 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,135 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Year?
M
Old 01-28-2023, 05:18 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,369 Likes on 2,638 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

That black one is a ground wire for the blower motor. It goes on one of the bellhousing bolts right behind the starter.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:33 AM
Countryside Cafe
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you so much!!
I could not determine this from the manual. But it was in the same wire loom and I thought that should been a clue. I also thought I wrote everything down and took all pictures, but I missed that wire somehow. I can now move on with headers etc. Thx
Old 04-17-2023, 04:41 PM
tonyd21266
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, the late 74 with HEI on don't use the R side on the starter and thus use just 2 wires. A red fusable and a purple wire. I see you are using summit replacements. You should be good to go. Just cleanup the 50 years. Here's a truck from an old timer who learned as a kid that yo might do a perfect job and the car catch on fire while you are inside eating lunch. Sometimes there have been so many fixes that have been covered up with tape. When you redid one and pull the harness, an old repair came lose. On old harnesses, always remove plenty of harness tape and inspect the harness for half assed repairs, poor connections, brittle or broken wires then carefully retake. Hope this helps someone out there.
Take care

Get notified of new replies

To Old 2 New Starter Wiring

Quick Reply: Old 2 New Starter Wiring