C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's installed longer rear spring bolts to lower the back end??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Who's installed longer rear spring bolts to lower the back end??

Do you have any hints, or what tho look out for? Any videos? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Hmmmm

You'll need to remove rear swaybar brackets if you have them to get the bolts in/out.

Avoid using bolts that hang down farther than the rim, if you get a flat you don't want that bolt to touch the ground.

The drop isn't directly the same as the change in bolt length, about 3/4 drop to 1" length or there abouts.

The longer bolts are easier to hook the spring to

Good time to put new cushions on

HIH
Mooser
Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Don't let the spring get anywhere near the tire! It's way worse than just worrying about a flat. If the spring catches the rubber you're gonna crash!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Jack at the outermost edge of the spring to relieve the tension before loosening the bolt. Clamp a piece of wood inboard to prevent the jack from slipping along the spring.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:03 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Long spring bolts are SOP for lowering the rear. If 8" bolts aren't long enough, you may have an overly arched spring. Use quality nylocks.

Originally Posted by ignatz
Don't let the spring get anywhere near the tire! It's way worse than just worrying about a flat. If the spring catches the rubber you're gonna crash!
The more sidewall there is (as is the case with smaller diameter rims), the more severely will tires distort under high lateral loads, and by a good bit more than you might think.

PS. Always admire your taste in vintage pinups.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The longer bolts allow the "box" (rear) end of the trailing arm to move farther UP...not allow the spring to go much (if at all) lower. The wheels stay where they are, so the spindles are in the same place; but the trailing arms can rotate around the spindles. So, with longer bolts, the rear of the T/A's moves UP and the front end of the T/A's moves downward. Since the front end of the T/A's is mounted to the frame/body, the body moves DOWN proprotionally. And, as the rear of the body moves DOWN (what you are trying to accomplish), the differential will also move down...but only as much as some additional loading at the rear will cause the spring to compress. The outer ends of the spring should not really change position at all.

Now, that's my understanding of how the "longer bolt" causes the rear end to drop. I haven't done it yet, because I just installed Bilstein HD's on the car and the rear is only now beyond the height I'm comfortable with. But, I've been thinking about this modification prior to executing it. The 'mechanics' of it is not as simple as it seems.

Where is the best place to buy the longer bolts? I'm ready to place my order.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I purchased some 10 inch bolts Grade 8 I think from VBP. These will pull the rear down. 8 inch bolts did not seem to make a lot of difference.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this about two years ago with 8inch bolts. I cant remember all the details but it was not difficult. I did one side at a time compressing the spring with a floor jack. One tip that I wish I would have done is paint the hardware (washers) on the bolt kit first. After two years mine now appear rusty looking.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Pic with 10" bolts. Close to tire but even after auto crossing the bolts have never rubbed the tire. I would actually like the bolts to be a little shorter but have not taken the time to mess with it.

Last edited by Frankenvette; 08-31-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Just use a die-grinder with a cut-off wheel to lop the [excess] end of that bolt off....
Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i run vb&p 10 inch bolts but i also shortened my leaf spring to pull the bolts away from sidewall of tire.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:28 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

To clarify, adjusting the length of the bolt (at the nut) does move the spring up or down relative to the ground along with the chassis, which means it does change position relative to the tires and bearing carrier end of the TAs. That's what puts tires (depending on their size) on stock diameter rims in jeopardy of touching the spring when lowering. The remedy for this is a shortened main leaf (available if you know to ask). Adjusting rear height does not change the load on or arch of the spring.

I won't belabor the point here, but do bear in mind when lowering rear, tho it certainly has benefits, that it's very easy to unintentionally increase adverse toe-steer inherent to the C2/C3 IRS by doing so. For those who enjoy spirited driving or AX/RR tracking, do your homework before taking this too far without considering the possibility.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 08-31-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 PM
69firebird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is anyone getting these bolts? I see VB&P isn't stocking them any more, I checked with Fastenal and Grainger and neither of them have it. Where can they be found?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 69firebird
Where is anyone getting these bolts? I see VB&P isn't stocking them any more, I checked with Fastenal and Grainger and neither of them have it. Where can they be found?
Try checking with your local hardware store and see if they can special order them from their supplier... typically a company called Hillman.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PatsLs1vette
i run vb&p 10 inch bolts but i also shortened my leaf spring to pull the bolts away from sidewall of tire.
Can you elaborate a little on what you did? How far in did you relocate the bolt holes? How much did you shorten your spring? My friend is a welder and could modify my spring a little shorter.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:38 PM
69firebird
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
Try checking with your local hardware store and see if they can special order them from their supplier... typically a company called Hillman.
Hillman doesn't even have those listed on their website.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 PM
69firebird
Instructor

So I've heard of other folks using these, anyone have any experience with them? They dont look grade 8, so not sure what their relative strength is.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette...-190-1085.html

Get notified of new replies

To Who's installed longer rear spring bolts to lower the back end??

Old 08-31-2012, 05:06 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

I put 10" ones from mamotorsports.com on my 75. My observations: 1 - I did jack the spring up on one side to get the bolt out (I have a lift, so it's a bit different then on jackstands, I would guess).; 2 - I moved the bracket to the inside of the bolt hole and did heat and bend the sway bar.... it works

3 - it does change the camber of the rear wheel - and whoever said above - it does get interesting if you don't check/fix it before you drive it.... mine went for -1* to -3 1/2*. That said, it's really easy to change the camber, so just do it (use a level and a tape measure to check the alignment, then reset it once you've put the bolt it), do remember that you need to move the car a bit to get the suspension to settle before you call your alignment good (my mistake)
Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I have done this many times bought some from ecklers about 2 mo ago.
Mark
Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Never seen link bolts assembled like that before..........(?)

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy

Quick Reply: Who's installed longer rear spring bolts to lower the back end??