C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:57 PM
BadBaran
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Distributor recommendations

I have an 81 that is modified and am wondering what would be the best distributor to go with. I am currently running and old hei that came off a used motor my father had laying around. It is worn out and time for a new one. The motor is bored .30 over with a loppy cam and a Holley street avenger carburetor. The heads have been reworked with roll or rocker. My engine builder said I should be between 300-350 HP.

My question is should I stay with an HEI or go to something with an external coil or msd box?
I was looking at msd and they have a couple different hei distributors for chevys. Which one do I need?
Oh and the computer is still in the car however it isn't running the Carb since I have an aftermarket one.
Thanks for any input and help

Last edited by BadBaran; 09-06-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

A GM hei is as good as it gets as long as it is in good shape and working properly.
The bling boxes are seldom advantageous.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 AM
northern77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this one.

http://www.msdperformance.com/Produc...stributor.aspx
Old 09-06-2012, 07:35 AM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

*****WE SHOULD ALL BUY AMERICAN*****

That said, I was in your situation and bought this cheap import off of ebay. I bought it from Skip White Performance because they offered a lifetime warranty with it.

It fixed my jumpy timing mark and seems to work well.

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...?Item=PE-322-B

Just giving my experience with a budget option.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 AM
superdave269
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to say that I have nothing but things things to say about running a HEI dizzy with a Supercoil on top of it.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 AM
BOOSTED-SS-ELKY
Heel & Toe

HEI's are garbage compared to what you can purchase today.

MSD's pro billet dist, 6AL box and HVC coil would work awesome on your car and you would be very happy.

You can't have enough ignition or fuel system when it comes to performance.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 AM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you going to be taking this car to a drag strip or just driving quickly to the local Sonic drive in on weekends?

If you answer Sonic, get the HEI and apply the $500 savings to tater tots.

Last edited by johnt365; 09-06-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

MSD would be a HUGE waste of money with your car it will not make any more power. People say theirs "dont foul plugs anymore" with them-in reality its because their tune was crap to begin with. These are not the good ol usa made systems anymore mine wouldnt time worth a damn til I had someone put it on a Sun machine and tweak it appropriately. Assembled dry etc.

An HEI more than does the job all you need is a spark to light it off thats it.

Blower super high compression etc...maybe an MSD. Buy a AAA card or make a bypass harness in case (msd ownere here).

Last edited by cv67; 09-06-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a warning on some of the offshore "non name brand" distributors. Depending on your camshaft, some have been found to have a bottom gear that will eat the cam gear. That said, I have used them, replacing the bottom gear with the original, or a stock replacement.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Do the guys that believe in super bling ignition systems think that if I wire up an MSD box to my propane grill it will cook my steaks faster?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

A few years ago, I did a bit of dyno testing at Westech Performance with Matt King, former Editor of Hot Rod Magazine. We tested several of the aftermarket capacitive discharge systems and top-end distributors against a plain ol' points-type distributor. The engine was a nice street-type 302 Ford putting out 370 horsepower. We tested ignition systems and distributors from Crane, MSD, and Mallory, making sure that each distributor had exactly the same centrifugal advance curve in it with the same total timing. Once these nice aftermarket systems were tested, we went out in the parking lot and pulled the stock points distributor out of Matt Kings crap Falcon: We set it up with the same advance curve on Westech's distributor machine and dropped it in the 302 test engine. Results: There was no change in the engine's performance whatsoever at any point on the rpm curve. Absolutely none.

So here's the recommendation: Run whatever distributor you're comfortable with tuning and curving, and set it up with a good performance curve to match the needs of your engine. Whether this is a tach-drive points-type distributor, an HEI, or an MSD ProBillet is completely irrelevant as long as you can get it set up right. Buy something of good quality that is easily tunable, and make sure you run vacuum advance on any street-driven engine. Trigger boxes, amplifiers, huge coils, and fancy systems will not gain you anything on a moderate performance street engine - spend your time getting the curve and total timing set up right on whatever system you use - that's where the power is.

Here's Matt King (black shirt) and me setting up the points distributor from his Falcon in the 302 test engine to run head-to-head against the top-end capacitive discharge systems:

Notice that we even used the old crap wires out of Matt's Falcon for the testing:

Here's the same engine with one of the fancy aftermarket systems in it and some really nice red plug wires:

Famed Westech Dyno Operator Steve Brule (left) overseeing the testing:

Results: Absolutely no change in power whatsoever from one system to another, as long as the advance curve remained the same:

Last edited by lars; 09-06-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Thanks Lars
Nothing like a no BS report to clear the air.

With that said Accel makes a nice complete HEI distributor for $125.00.
Simply add your old coil and go.

Ralph
Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Jedi926
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent tech and info Lars. Awesome!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:40 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by johnt365
Are you going to be taking this car to a drag strip or just driving quickly to the local Sonic drive in on weekends?

If you answer Sonic, get the HEI and apply the $500 savings to tater tots.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
A few years ago, I did a bit of dyno testing at Westech Performance with Matt King, former Editor of Hot Rod Magazine. We tested several of the aftermarket capacitive discharge systems and top-end distributors against a plain ol' points-type distributor. The engine was a nice street-type 302 Ford putting out 370 horsepower. We tested ignition systems and distributors from Crane, MSD, and Mallory, making sure that each distributor had exactly the same centrifugal advance curve in it with the same total timing. Once these nice aftermarket systems were tested, we went out in the parking lot and pulled the stock points distributor out of Matt Kings crap Falcon: We set it up with the same advance curve on Westech's distributor machine and dropped it in the 302 test engine. Results: There was no change in the engine's performance whatsoever at any point on the rpm curve. Absolutely none.

So here's the recommendation: Run whatever distributor you're comfortable with tuning and curving, and set it up with a good performance curve to match the needs of your engine. Whether this is a tach-drive points-type distributor, an HEI, or an MSD ProBillet is completely irrelevant as long as you can get it set up right. Buy something of good quality that is easily tunable, and make sure you run vacuum advance on any street-driven engine. Trigger boxes, amplifiers, huge coils, and fancy systems will not gain you anything on a moderate performance street engine - spend your time getting the curve and total timing set up right on whatever system you use - that's where the power is.

Here's Matt King (black shirt) and me setting up the points distributor from his Falcon in the 302 test engine to run head-to-head against the top-end capacitive discharge systems:

Notice that we even used the old crap wires out of Matt's Falcon for the testing:

Here's the same engine with one of the fancy aftermarket systems in it and some really nice red plug wires:

Famed Westech Dyno Operator Steve Brule (left) overseeing the testing:

Results: Absolutely no change in power whatsoever from one system to another, as long as the advance curve remained the same:
Name dropper!!!

Anyway, BadBaran, could you tell us a little about why you think the HEI on the engine now is worn out?

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 PM
BadBaran
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for their input. Thanks Lars for that awesome write up. Based on that I am thinking I should just go to the local auto parts store and pick up an HEI and make it a simple swap.

Scott I believe its worn out because my timing is all over the place. I can't get an accurate timing reading because it won't stay steady. It came off a used motor my father bought and has been sitting around quite a few years. I know I could rebuild it but it looks pretty rough too and I would like one that looks a little better along with the rest of the motor
Old 09-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Ralphbf
Burning Brakes

Check out the Accel, it was one of the cheaper distributor that I was looking at.

By all over the place do you mean never in the same place?
I've watched timing marks walk all the way around and come up the other side.
But that is something different all together.

Ralph

Get notified of new replies

To Distributor recommendations

Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 AM
AAJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lars

Did anyone else notice what was missing from these photos?????

No AMBER fluid in any of them.

Is this the real Lars or an imposter???

Seriously,

Thanks for the Info.

Andrew
Old 09-07-2012, 09:05 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running the GM Performance Parts HEI with a vac can, no complaints.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:30 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Name dropper!!!
Scott
Here's my post without the names and background info:

"So, dudes, I once tested some distributors, and they, like, all ran about the same. So, like, whatever, man."

Lars

Quick Reply: Distributor recommendations