C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where the heck are the timing marks on my 427?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 01:23 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Where the heck are the timing marks on my 427?

I thought getting the engine to TDC would be the easy part of pulling the distributo, but it ain't working out that way so far. I see the mark on the balancer, but I can't find the "pointer" on the block I expected to find to line it up with. I've got the chassis service manual, but it just shows a generic location for all '69 engines (driver side of the water pump), but by gosh I ain't go no marks there, though the truth is, I really can't see much of the block behind the balancer at all. Somebody wanna gimme a clue?

JB

[Modified by JB, 3:06 PM 6/1/2002]
Old 06-01-2002, 10:48 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Where the heck are the timing marks on my 427? (JB)

TTT.

C'mon, somebody's gotta know. I jacked the car up and looked at it from underneath and I think I see a tab sticking out from the block more or less where the service manual said it would be, but so far as I can tell, there is absolutely no way that tab could be seen from up top as it is blocked completely by the water pump and some sort of idler arm. I'm not actually supposed to time the car from underneath am I?

JB
Old 06-01-2002, 11:22 PM
candyapplevette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure on the big blocks but on the small block cars the timing tab ws made on the timing cover and would be just above the balancer so you can time it from the top.
If someone has changed the timing cover to an aftermarket cover or broke the timing tab off you can by a timing tab that bolts on with 2 of the timing cover bolts.
Hope this helps
Old 06-02-2002, 01:09 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Where the heck are the timing marks on my 427? (candyapplevette)

Have you put a timing light on it yet? It can become more obvious when the dot is frozen by the strobe light. On the other hand, the tab should be visible from the top, tho somewhat obscured by paint and grease. Sounds like yours may have moved? If you dont get any better advise I can take a pic of mine in the morning. MJ
Old 06-02-2002, 01:48 AM
andyg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My L36 tab is located on the drivers side crank pully.

--Andy
Old 06-02-2002, 02:02 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Where the heck are the timing marks on my 427? (andyg)

My L36 tab is located on the drivers side crank pully.
Andy--It's on the pully itself? I'm having trouble picturing that. Do you mean it's actually attached to or over the pulley in some way?

MJ, I'd sure appreciate that photo. Here's a rather crappy photo I just took of what I see looking down from the driver's side at the balancer. As you can see (sort of), I can only see about an inch of the balancer between the water pump housing and that idler pulley thingee just below it.

JB

[Modified by JB, 12:42 AM 6/2/2002]
Old 06-02-2002, 10:11 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

TTT.

Still trying to get to TDC. I realize I can get there by pulling a valve cover and looking at the valves on the #1 cylinder, but I'd rather not do that. And I'd like to have the marks for setting the timing. One of you guys with a rat, is that tab with the marks behind that idler pulley in my pic, and do I need to remove that pulley to see it?

JB
Old 06-03-2002, 12:04 AM
lyonsh
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, how desparate are you? If you're getting frustrated, try this:

Pull the #1 spark plug, and stick a wooden dowel into the hole (make sure the dowel is long enough not to drop in). You can turn the engine over to find approximate TDC (if you want to make sure you're on the compression stroke, put your finger over the plug hole and get a helper to turn the engine over - when you feel the air pressure trying to push you finger off, you're on compression). Then your timing mark on the harmonic balancer can be used as a reference point to try to find the tab, or mount a new one if the old one's missing.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:50 AM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you haven't removed the distributor yet, align the rotor with the #1 wire position of the cap. That will get your engine in the proper postion. That will also bring the mark on the balancer around to where your tab is (or where it once was) and help you know where to look. If you're reinstalling the same distributor, put a mark on it where the rotor is pointing and a mark on the manifold that aligns with a mark or some part of the housing. When you reinstall, if the engine hasn't been rotated, lining up the marks will let you know it's in the correct position and your timing should be very close to where it was before. If you're replacing the distributor, just make a mark on the manifold that aligns with the rotor. Install it with the rotor pointing at that mark and the distributor will be in the correct position. Rotate the housing until the rotor is aligned with the #1 position of it's cap and your timing should be close to where it was before.
Old 06-03-2002, 01:18 AM
jyounane
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

As said elsewhere, the timing tab with timing marks is attached to the timing chain cover, above the crank pulley. (sounds like you can see it from underneath) It is visible from the top past the radiator hose and p/s pump. There is no "idler arm" of any sort above it on my L36. Your fan also looks not original, must be an aftermarket flexfan. Mine has the stock fan with the thermatic type of fan clutch.

The rearmost belt drives the water pump from the crank pulley directly without any idler or tensioner. If yours has these components, perhaps someone else here knows what they are about.

Good Luck!

Joe
69 427L36 M21 3.08 White Coupe
Old 06-03-2002, 01:20 AM
andyg
Instructor

I'd take a picture, but my car is in the shop for tranny and t-arm rebuilds. The tab is mounted to the block behind the crank pully drivers side. I believe it goes in 10 deg in either direction with a 0 in the middle of the tab. I think the 0 is the only number on the tab. I have to look between the alternator and water pump to see it.

---Andy
Old 06-03-2002, 01:36 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Where the heck are the timing marks on my 427? (jyounane)

Vetterodder--if I do it that way it'll either be TDC or 180degrees off of TDC, so I guess I'd have a 50/50 chance. :D

Jyounane--the flex fan is definitely aftermarket, but my AIM manual shows the 427 having a "Pulley Asm--Idler" right where I've got one, on the driver's side & below the water pump (you can see it in my pic above). I'm thinking I'm just gonna pull the darned idler/tensioner thingee and if the belt flies off when I'm trying to time the sucker, why then it just freakin' flies off.

Thanks for the help, guys.

JB

[Modified by JB, 11:36 PM 6/2/2002]
Old 06-03-2002, 09:14 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

JB, my L36 timing tab is right where your idler pulley is. It's a metal tab that sticks out about 1/4" above the balancer. If you took that picture on my engine, you would be looking right at the timing marks. If it's there, you'll have to move the idler to see it. The tab is pretty big, probably an inch wide and two inches long.

-Joe

[Modified by Flareside, 8:15 AM 6/3/2002]
Old 06-03-2002, 09:54 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Where the heck are the timing marks on my 427? (Flareside)

Cool. Now, what I want to know is, does anyone else have this freakin' idler? Is this a part that tends to get "lost" because mechanics hate it 'cause you can't see the timing tab? Or is my AIM wrong and my car's got a bubba-toy plugged into the front of the block?

JB
Old 06-03-2002, 02:08 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Well, here are my pics. Better late than never I hope, but if you had a timing tab like this you would surely be able to see it. I have no idea if this is factory or added on later. I dabbed a little white paint on a couple of the marks to see them better.

Here is the view from the drivers side:

If you can't quite make out the timing tab, here is the same pic:

Here is a closer look:

And the same pic with the timing tab marked:

And here is a closeup:

Darn it looks dirty in there!!! :eek: MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 1:09 PM 6/3/2002]
Old 06-03-2002, 04:26 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Where the heck are the timing marks on my 427? (MNJack)

Nice pics, MJ. Thanks! You're right, though, might be time for you to break out the simple green and a toothbrush. Need that block to look as good as your wiper door actuator does now. :D

Doesn't look like you have that idler pulley, either. Does anyone but me have the thing on their L-36?
Old 06-03-2002, 08:22 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor

Follow up--got the idler pulley out of the way, and lo and behold, there's the timing tab. Bumped the motor to TDC, yanked the distributor and the manifold. Now the manifold is headed out to the machine shop to get that broken bolt out and to get bead blasted. :D

I'd still like to know why no one else seems to have that idler pulley.

JB

Get notified of new replies

To Where the heck are the timing marks on my 427?

Old 06-03-2002, 09:14 PM
andyg
Instructor

Idler=AC

Here is a jpg of the belt routing

If car was ordered with C60 option(AC) then belt routing was one of the lower two pictures. I have the upper right picture minus the AIR pump.

--Andy

[Modified by andyg, 7:20 PM 6/3/2002]
Old 06-03-2002, 09:23 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

JB, nope. The distributor runs at half engine speed and, if it's installed correctly, the rotor only points to the #1 cylinder when it's in the correct firing position. By the same token, if the rotor points anywhere other than the #1 position, you'll know that it's has been installed wrong just by looking. If you pointed the rotor 180º from the #1 position, then you'd be 180º.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:54 PM
JennifurLynn
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default where is the timing tab?

I too have this retarded idler pulley on my 1970 corvette with a 454 stuffed in it....I was wondering the same thing I can not see the timing tab so if I pull off this ridiculous idler pulley assembly I will see it assuming its not broken off? I have 2 aftermarket chrome timing chain covers and they dont have timing tabs on either of them...I bought a billet pointer for my supercharged engine on my last car and it had a built in timing light and I got a piston stop bolt sleeve thing so I could locate tdc
​​​​​​​#1 from both directions and move the pointer to line up with the balancer mark though with a bds blower you lose the balancer and install a keyway billet hub instead and use a timing tape and like using a degree wheel you hit the piston stop bolt by turning the engine clockwise thrn counter clockwise and you have maybe 1/2 in between tdc from both directions so I marked it then peeled and installed the timing tape to find exact tdc #1 and set the billet pointer to that middle spot and the timing tape had its main center mark perfect and each time tge engine

Quick Reply: Where the heck are the timing marks on my 427?