C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Baides
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 headlights

Hi my name Mark and as I'm sure it will be apparent I'm new to this. I have had my vette for 10 years and even though it gives me fits sometimes I truly love the car. After reading other sites forums I feel like this is the one for me. Everyone is respectful, courteous, friendly and not to mention eager to help us beginners. My hat is off to you all.

So here's my problem;
I have a 1976 corvette. The headlights will intermittently not come on. The doors raise fine every time. But sometimes the front marker lights, turn signal lights and headlights will not light. The back tail lights and marker lights come on fine. Also please note that when the headlights don't come on the dash blinker indicators and high beam indicator lights come on when the switch is pulled out to the full on position. I don't have any problems with the lights going on and off if I hit a bump or anything like that. I have had the head light switch out and tested it and it seems to work fine. I have also tested the high beam switch and it also seem to function properly. I'm thinking there is a corroded connection or something but don't know where to start looking.Any Ideas?

Thanks
Mark Baides
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

When one light comes on when another goes off, it is a ground problem. Most likely the ground to the radiator support, but could possibly be in the wire or somewhere else.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

welcome! and yes grounds are a big deal on fiberglass cars
Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Baides
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you I'll check that out. Someone told me that there is a plug on the firewall directly behind the fuse block that might be loose or corroded. Any thoughts on that?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

I have no idea whether or not the Corvette has these, but I'll throw it out there. There is a auto-reset fuse on some GM head light switches - if that fuse blows, it'll do much what you're describing... happened to me in a 1970 Buick Skylark.... quite disconcerting when the lights go out for no apparent reason.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:46 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Baides
Thank you I'll check that out. Someone told me that there is a plug on the firewall directly behind the fuse block that might be loose or corroded. Any thoughts on that?
yes, all power and grounds go through it.

Get notified of new replies

To 76 headlights

Quick Reply: 76 headlights