C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Exhaust Options

Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Hans4real
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana
I purchased pre-bent mandrel 2.75" bends in various angles, the boys are very good at fabrication...the 3" Borla mufflers are sitting on he floor (the reason for no show-off pictures yet ) .... when they did the system, they were not here yet... so my sons put in the 2.5" Borlas back on...have not had time to finish...
Where did you get the pre-bent mandrel bent pipes?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

That is how most of the HP 3 inch systems are done. They use prebent mandrel 3" tubes for the bends and butt weld everything together. Up on a hoist it is pretty much a no brainer for a good exhuast shop and the difference in coin and agony of trying to do it yourself is worth the extra cost if there is any.

As most C3's are slightly different it is better to have the exhaust fabricated to the car rather than buying some kit and lying on your back trying to make it fit. Find a good custom exhaust shop and spend a bit more and you will be much happier.

BTW you don't need 3 inch until you reach at least 500HP crank HP, but if your planning to increase your existing HP then do it once with the 3 inch
Old 11-17-2012, 01:37 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

When I replaced the 1 7/8" id Hedmans with 2 1/8" Super Comps I had a custom 3" stainless system with 'X' pipe made up for the car. It was really surprising how much the 'top end' opened up - it would always runs to 6500 rpm - now it 'leaps' to 6500 rpm and wants to go further.
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=DSCF1411.jpg
Shaky phone clip.
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=IMG_0621.mp4
Old 11-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Hans4real
Advanced

Originally Posted by MotorHead
That is how most of the HP 3 inch systems are done. They use prebent mandrel 3" tubes for the bends and butt weld everything together. Up on a hoist it is pretty much a no brainer for a good exhuast shop and the difference in coin and agony of trying to do it yourself is worth the extra cost if there is any.

As most C3's are slightly different it is better to have the exhaust fabricated to the car rather than buying some kit and lying on your back trying to make it fit. Find a good custom exhaust shop and spend a bit more and you will be much happier.

BTW you don't need 3 inch until you reach at least 500HP crank HP, but if your planning to increase your existing HP then do it once with the 3 inch
I'm in the 450 HP range and I made the commitment on size today by ordering the 3" Dynomax Ultraflows 17221. Now I'm stuck with choosing an X-pipe set-up or H-Pipe deal. Read too many threads on this forum and others and some say X and some say H, confusing. I'm not sure if the location, being so far back for both set-ups, favors one or the other. Also read that if an X isn't done correctly it can actually hurt the performance. I haven't heard that same comment about the H. There are also several X designs to select from, you have the Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Pypes and then the Summit brand. Any advice on the choice would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Hans4real
I'm in the 450 HP range and I made the commitment on size today by ordering the 3" Dynomax Ultraflows 17221. Now I'm stuck with choosing an X-pipe set-up or H-Pipe deal. Read too many threads on this forum and others and some say X and some say H, confusing. I'm not sure if the location, being so far back for both set-ups, favors one or the other. Also read that if an X isn't done correctly it can actually hurt the performance. I haven't heard that same comment about the H. There are also several X designs to select from, you have the Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Pypes and then the Summit brand. Any advice on the choice would be appreciated.
Since I'm on the verge of getting a mandrel system that has an X-pipe built into it, I read about H vs X for a good 2-3 hours last night. Most sources say the X-pipe has a slight power advantage but the difference is minimal. Just about everybody agrees that there's a notable difference in sound between the two. I listened to a lot of youtube vids comparing the two, and there is no doubt a different tone. The H pipe has a bit deeper sound whereas the X is crisper and a bit higher pitched, especially at higher RPMs. The consensus seems to be that both styles should ideally be positioned as far upstream as possible, understanding that space limitations can play a big role regarding location.

Since performance is so close, the decision between the two largely comes down to sound preference. This appeared to be split pretty evenly. One guy had an interesting comment that I think is right on the money. His comment was about how muffler choice plays a role in that. He said the chambered style mufflers sound better with the H style- X just doesn't sound as good. Other than that he prefers the X sound.

I finally refined my search and found the video that eased my concerns about changing from H to X. This 454 Chevelle has Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers like you and I do and it also has an X-pipe. I think his car sounds awesome. Although he's probably got more cam than either of us, this should give you a pretty good idea of what your car would sound like with the X.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

ALso running the same 17547 all 3" with X.
The X I doubt gave it any power but did dumb down the crackly higher pitched noises that the man will hear 3 blocks away . Goal was to quiet it down...1 muffler I know of is quieter but not sure I want a power loss...on the street probably never notice it . Oh well.
Mic is too high on the camera sounds louder than it is. With the windows up you dont hear much at all, down different story.

They make an oval type Ultraflow which is more crackly sounding make sure you get the right ones.

These sound incredible at 4k on up, a real clean metallic screaming banshee noise is the only way to describe it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=941Qis8BG9U

Last edited by cv67; 11-17-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Hans4real
Advanced

Originally Posted by Les
Since I'm on the verge of getting a mandrel system that has an X-pipe built into it, I read about H vs X for a good 2-3 hours last night. Most sources say the X-pipe has a slight power advantage but the difference is minimal. Just about everybody agrees that there's a notable difference in sound between the two. I listened to a lot of youtube vids comparing the two, and there is no doubt a different tone. The H pipe has a bit deeper sound whereas the X is crisper and a bit higher pitched, especially at higher RPMs. The consensus seems to be that both styles should ideally be positioned as far upstream as possible, understanding that space limitations can play a big role regarding location.

Since performance is so close, the decision between the two largely comes down to sound preference. This appeared to be split pretty evenly. One guy had an interesting comment that I think is right on the money. His comment was about how muffler choice plays a role in that. He said the chambered style mufflers sound better with the H style- X just doesn't sound as good. Other than that he prefers the X sound.

I finally refined my search and found the video that eased my concerns about changing from H to X. This 454 Chevelle has Dynomax Ultraflo mufflers like you and I do and it also has an X-pipe. I think his car sounds awesome. Although he's probably got more cam than either of us, this should give you a pretty good idea of what your car would sound like with the X.

Appreciate the sound clip and that Chevelle sounds reallly good. With the 454 I think I'll prefer as low a rumble as possible and if the power output is close to the same, think I'm leaning towards the H pipe. That X setup sounds a little Euro up in the RPM, like a Ferrari. Good luck with your new system install. Swap you sound clips when we're finished.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:02 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,326 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Mandrel bending is not a must in a 3 inch system. If you use a pass under cross member and run the 3 inch pipes straight back from the headers the gasses are cooling the farther away from the engine you get.

I have a 4 inch ovalled H pipe welded in right below the diff. where the pipes are closest together

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3" Exhaust Options