C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX Header / Side pipe Fitment Issue - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 AM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Boy, do I feel lucky. My headers and side pipes went on with virtually no problems at all. I will be transferring them to my tube chassis project soon. Anyone using these with angled plugs? The new motor has Dart heads.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 AM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gbarmore
. The drivers side is really bad as is evident by the pics, but both sides will require some significant reaming of the holes to get the bolts to thread in and seat properly. In addition I have multiple hits to the frame and steering box that will only get worse when I add my gaskets. Lastly, the left and right side collectors vary in height by over 1 1/2" (yes, the motor is perfectly level).

had same exact problem with mine on both of these counts, guess I should say HAVE, the collector hangs lower and yes my motor is level as well, mine aren't side pipes and I forget the brand. does it really matter? seems like all the brands have gone to junk. makes me wanna take up watching tv instead of spending money on new "performance" parts and then wrestling them into place and cussing out loud
Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy22
Boy, do I feel lucky. My headers and side pipes went on with virtually no problems at all. I will be transferring them to my tube chassis project soon. Anyone using these with angled plugs? The new motor has Dart heads.
My LT1 has angle plugs and they clear just fine. Haven't installed plug wires yet but don't see it being an issue.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So I contacted the vendor I bought my OBX Headers and Side Pipes from and they are working with me to get a new set. However, I am being asked to pay to ship them back to California in order to make this happen. I pushed back on that and I've not heard back from them yet as to whether or not they will pay it.

Question is, should I be responsible for the cost of shipping a product back to a vendor that was poorly manufactured and unuseable, regardless of how long it's been since I bought them (purchased if February but they are brand new never used).

Seems like a no-brainer that the vendor would go straight to OBX to pay for the shipping fees.... Am I just expecting too much here?? Should I pay the $70+ and move on with my life?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It's seems no vender these days wants to pay for shipping, even if it's their fault.
IMHO, they should, the price to pay for being in business.

I recently had to return a defective Nexus tablet to google, they incurred 2 additional shipping charges to replace the defective unit.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by gbarmore
So I contacted the vendor I bought my OBX Headers and Side Pipes from and they are working with me to get a new set. However, I am being asked to pay to ship them back to California in order to make this happen. I pushed back on that and I've not heard back from them yet as to whether or not they will pay it.

Question is, should I be responsible for the cost of shipping a product back to a vendor that was poorly manufactured and unuseable, regardless of how long it's been since I bought them (purchased if February but they are brand new never used).

Seems like a no-brainer that the vendor would go straight to OBX to pay for the shipping fees.... Am I just expecting too much here?? Should I pay the $70+ and move on with my life?
Unfortunately that's kinda the defacto industry standard, you pay to send them back and they pay to send them back to you if in fact it was a faulty part.

Ideally you would pay to have them shipped back and if it was their fault they should pay both ways. It just happened to me, I sent pictures and written proof he goofed up. He was good enough to take it back, fix the problem and pay shipping both ways and I have the part sitting on my coffee table, no charges to me. This is the way it should be.

Where the problem lies is if they pay to get them returned and you have done something stupid like F'ed them up yourself, they are out the shipping charges and you might say I don't want them now.

Like I stated above the procedure should go like this. Your part is defective you ship it back. They determine it was their fault, fix the problem and ship it back to you and re-reimburse you for your shipping costs, simple as that.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 PM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Unfortunately that's kinda the defacto industry standard, you pay to send them back and they pay to send them back to you if in fact it was a faulty part.

Ideally you would pay to have them shipped back and if it was their fault they should pay both ways. It just happened to me, I sent pictures and written proof he goofed up. He was good enough to take it back, fix the problem and pay shipping both ways and I have the part sitting on my coffee table, no charges to me. This is the way it should be.

Where the problem lies is if they pay to get them returned and you have done something stupid like F'ed them up yourself, they are out the shipping charges and you might say I don't want them now.

Like I stated above the procedure should go like this. Your part is defective you ship it back. They determine it was their fault, fix the problem and ship it back to you and re-reimburse you for your shipping costs, simple as that.
I would agree, if it's their fault, they should reimburse for shipping.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Hamin79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same problem at first but once the pipes were on the collector and i mounted them to the frame everything was good. Basically the pipes give you the leverage to staighten the collectorand then tighten the header bolts
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,644 Posts

For what it's worth I bought a set of stainless steel big block headers from a well know made in the USA company. I asked at the time of purchase what if they don't fit? I was told they could be returned. I never asked who pays the shipping? When they didn't fit and I made the call they sent me a shipping label and paid for the return. They also gave me a full refund on the headers. So it depends on the company and their policy.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We'll, the distributor for my OBX Headers has been very good to work with and has agreed to foot the bill to get them back to Cali on their dime and ship me a new set, also on their dime. I'll say that I'm very happy about that and I'll definitely let folks know who I am working with once this is all done.

My biggest fear now is that after all this BS I'm going to end up with another set with similar, or god forbid worse problems.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

You are actually quite lucky and in dealing with a small company it seems to be easier to get this kind of treatment instead of huge company such as Hooker ( or whomever sells Hooker now ) for an example where they just hide behind company policy.

I hope the new set fits fine, Aligning with the frame is one thing they could have given you the "How do you do" but bolt holes not lining up, there is no way out of that.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by MotorHead
You are actually quite lucky and in dealing with a small company it seems to be easier to get this kind of treatment instead of huge company such as Hooker ( or whomever sells Hooker now ) for an example where they just hide behind company policy.
I have to disagree with your statement because that was not my experience dealing with the vendor, Performance Parts and Hooker when I had a bowed flange on my SS header. I merely contacted the vendor by email stating the problem and asked how they wanted to resolve the issue. I was never asked to provide proof or return the header. A week later the vendor contacted me and said Hooker was sending me a new passenger side header. I wasn't charged a penny! I also live in Canada and had reservations buying expensive items from US sources over the internet. Not so much now.

Another similar experience when I purchased a fuel pump from Summitt. It arrived and smelled of fuel. I contacted Summitt by phone and they instructed me to send the fuel pump back to them on their nickel and sent me a new one.

Maybe its better to buy from the big guys. There is a reason why they are big - customer service, imho.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I have to disagree with your statement because that was not my experience dealing with the vendor, Performance Parts and Hooker when I had a bowed flange on my SS header. I merely contacted the vendor by email stating the problem and asked how they wanted to resolve the issue. I was never asked to provide proof or return the header. A week later the vendor contacted me and said Hooker was sending me a new passenger side header. I wasn't charged a penny! I also live in Canada and had reservations buying expensive items from US sources over the internet. Not so much now.

Another similar experience when I purchased a fuel pump from Summitt. It arrived and smelled of fuel. I contacted Summitt by phone and they instructed me to send the fuel pump back to them on their nickel and sent me a new one.

Maybe its better to buy from the big guys. There is a reason why they are big - customer service, imho.
I'm sure that varies depending on who you're dealing with. However, I have to agree with you about Summit. Their customer service has always handled issues for me quickly and without hesitation. They deserve some recognition!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

i think the competition online is so tough, the margin of profit is small. a manufacturer sells a product that they(seller) didn't make and now they gotta eat the shipping charges back to them, cuts their profit even more.

Quick Reply: OBX Header / Side pipe Fitment Issue - Need Advice