C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motive brake bleeder vs. this one...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 05:46 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I use this one, got it at another place for $2.99, it's got a magnet and I attach it to the rotor, it ain't rocket science you pump the pedal take a look for bubbles in the clear line, no more bubbles and your done

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

+1 for the Motive bleeder. I've been using it for several years, and at this point could never go back to brake bleeding any other way. At first, I bought the basic kit with only the one adapter I needed for the vette. I have since bought several more adapters for my other vehicles. Quality product that works great.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

I kept cringing at the cost of motive, and I absolutely hate the HF one.... so I got a air-powered vacuum pump, and used cups from the HF system to fashion a reservoir to pull through.... works like a charm....

Also, if you plan on keeping your C3, having a powered vacuum source makes your life a lot easier (it sure made mine easier).....IMO worth it. Problem with the headlights? hook up the vacuum pump to the vacuum source line at the firewall, and trace for leaks. Problem with the HVAC system? same thing, problem with vacuum leak? hook up the line and listen for hissing.... very easy to use, and not terribly expensive.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I use this one, got it at another place for $2.99, it's got a magnet and I attach it to the rotor, it ain't rocket science you pump the pedal take a look for bubbles in the clear line, no more bubbles and your done

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
All you really need for that method is a length of tubing and a glass. Once the tube is "primed" and submersed in fluid, you won't backflow air when you lift the pedal. However, it has the same issue as vacuum bleeding which is you have to be very careful about sealing the threads to ensure you don't suck air past them.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone but me have good luck using Russell 'Speed Bleeders'? Price is right, for me, for something I will use maybe every 4 years. Bleeds DOT 5 in my system, without any problems.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:37 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/1965-1982-Corv...+speed+bleeder

Anyone but me have good luck using Russell 'Speed Bleeders'? Price is right, for me, for something I will use maybe every 4 years. Bleeds DOT 5 in my system, without any problems.
Yep, simple work well.

I've never had to do this in a car yet but in motorcycles when there was air trapped in the brake system i use to back bleed the system. The idea being that air wanted to float up in the lines and you couldn't pump fast enough to get the air forced down and out of the line.
I would get a large syringe from a farm store and use a short 2 inch or so piece of vinyl hose on the end of the syringe. then fill the syringe with brake fluid and purge the air from the syringe and 2 inch hose and connect to the bleeder on the wheel. Open the bleeder and force the fluid back into the resivoir. Of course you had to suck fluid out of the resivoir with a turkey baster before you started to keep from over flowing it. Always worked for the hard to get air bubbles.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 11-17-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Motive brake bleeder vs. this one...