C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hose location, Heater Hose issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 PM
CreativeIndy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hose location, Heater Hose issues

So I can't figure out where to put the heater hoses exactly.

When I bought the car it had heat so I am going to assume they were both hooked up I just don't ever remember where when I did the rebuild on the engine.

The guy I got the car from told me the heat didn't work well as the thermostat was missing. On the way home in 38 degree weather the car was actually quite warm and blew hot air. On the tear down it very well had a thermostat in there So I think the guy was full of crap or lying about something.

Issue is I only remember removing 1 hose from the original intake that was on car. Water pump that was on it had a plug. So if only 1 hose was hooked up(hose with the valve) on intake as well as a plug in water pump, is there any other possible place the other hose could have been hooked up at?

Right now I installed a Ebrock intake and I have a hose going to either side of the intake manifold. I am running an Ebrock aluminum water pump with a hole but I have it plugged. Car runs cool and all I just want to make sure I have the hoses going to good spots which is one on each side of intake.

I am starting to think the guy I got the car from didn't have the return line hooked up since the plug in original water pump looks like it's always been in there and the intake only has a single port for water. Where else could he hook the return line to?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Would be helpful if we knew what year model you were working on and the options. A/C, Auto, 4sp, SB, BB, all make a difference in the heater hose routing.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM
77C34SPD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sbc one in water pump, one to intake. This is a 77 Name:  Picture 101.jpg
Views: 3755
Size:  82.4 KB
Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The 5/8" hose to the intake and the 3/4" hose to the top of the water pump. Might be a good time to install shut off valves as I did to keep the heat out of the cabin in the summer.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM
yyz1970
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Why do you need two valves? one should do.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by yyz1970
Why do you need two valves? one should do.
It got really hot in my cabin during the summer heat and I wanted to be sure that there was no heat transfer to the inside. Also, if that part of the system springs a leak, it can be cut off completely.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:13 AM
CreativeIndy
Advanced

Originally Posted by MIKE80
The 5/8" hose to the intake and the 3/4" hose to the top of the water pump. Might be a good time to install shut off valves as I did to keep the heat out of the cabin in the summer.
Aye, I actually have shut off valves already on both lines. Thanks for the picture helped a ton however I as of right now have 1 going to left of intake and one to right of intake on my aluminum intake. My EBrock water pump is blocked off.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:19 AM
CreativeIndy
Advanced

Also, when I say valve I was referring to nipples or inlets for the hoses to hook to. If you are meaning valves as in shut off valves I have those installed already when I bought car.

When I bought the car they were both hooked up or so I thought. However when I went back through the old parts (old intake and water pump) it had only 1 valve on intake and water pump was blocked off so my question was where did the original owner have the second line hooked up to? The car originally had AC but the guy tore all that crap out. He also like a dumb *** took the tranny lines and rerouted them back to itself. I assume because the radiator has a leak on the transmission part so instead of replacing he said F it and put a jumper hose connecting both lines.

So my question is(regarding hoses) if he only has a single hose going to heater core hooked up where on earth could he have hooked the second hose up cause I know I had heat in the car when I drove it 78 miles home that night. So as I said in previous post right now on my Edelbrock intake I have 2 ports on the front of intake so I have each line from heater core going to a side and the water pump is still blocked off. I assume this should be fine be it both on intake or 1 on intake 1 on water pump as they both do the same job. Just boggles me where the original line went since I could not find a second valve for the heater core return line anywhere on the original setup.

Thanks for the pictures everyone it helped alot figuring out the mess the PO left me.

If anyone can tell me where the second hose from the overfill jug goes it would be great. It has 1 going from radiator cap in and I have a second coming out however he had it cut about 4 inches out and dangling there.

Last edited by CreativeIndy; 11-17-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are running BOTH heater hoses to the intake, you will most likely not get the circulation you need through the heater core to maintain good heat. It will probably work somewhat but my guess is the temperature won't be as hot (or consistent) as if you have the proper circulation coming directly from the water pump. Do yourself a favor and connect it back the way GM did it. Besides, it looks better than heater hoses draped all over the engine
Old 11-17-2012, 11:10 AM
CreativeIndy
Advanced

Originally Posted by ezobens
If you are running BOTH heater hoses to the intake, you will most likely not get the circulation you need through the heater core to maintain good heat. It will probably work somewhat but my guess is the temperature won't be as hot (or consistent) as if you have the proper circulation coming directly from the water pump. Do yourself a favor and connect it back the way GM did it. Besides, it looks better than heater hoses draped all over the engine
Gotcha. That was the answer I was looking for was were is it "supposed" to go. Since the original owner obviously didn't have it hooked up since there was a plug in the top of the water pump then he didn't have any water going to the heater core. I don't know why he would lie to me and tell me it didn't have much heat because it was missing a thermostat. It was basically no heat because it had 1 line hooked up and a shut off valve on it. He also had a thermostat in the car. This is why I hate buying other peoples rigged up junk.

So I will plug the other side of the intake and then I will run a hose to the passenger side intake and one to the water pump. I assume the larger hose goes to the pump and smaller on intake?

Thanks a ton for all the help guys. Trying to piece the car back together correctly has been a chore.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:27 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The following info is for a '77. My Father had a '76 but that was a long time ago and I do not remember if his was the same as mine. The heater core supply hose is 5/8 and is attached to the intake manifold. The return hose is 3/4 and is attached to the side of the water pump.

If your heater core has two different sizes of tubes than yours should be the same. mike...

Get notified of new replies

To Hose location, Heater Hose issues

Quick Reply: Hose location, Heater Hose issues