C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold weather and wiper door

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 PM
tomgallucci57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cold weather and wiper door

noticed today the wiper door doesnt like the cold.its 45 degrees out right now in cleveland,just changed the oil,and figured id try my wipers,,over the summer i found a good 68 motor for my 68.put it in,toyed around with everything related to its operation,and it was finally working,,,took a long time.but,today its really slow.barely moved a 1/4 in. in maybe 5 minutes,,,same thing with the headlights.probably needs new witches hats,and a new check valve.i can blow into the check valve and slightly feel air,,so. but everything worked in the summer,,lights were a bit slower than i would have liked,,but desent.and the wiper door was actually pretty quick,although not perfect,,,any ideas as to cold weather fixes would be great.love the forum,,read it everyday,,,tom
Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

When the car is just sitting with engine at idle, it doesn't make any difference if the check valve works or not (at least, as long as vacuum can be drawn through it). Unless you have a very bad vacuum leak or don't have a vacuum level of 10-12"Hg (at idle), "vacuum" shouldn't be the problem.

To know for sure, you need to put a vacuum gauge in the system, at various point [separately], to investigate what level of vacuum you have: at the main feed line from the manifold; immediately before the actuator can for the wiper door; and in the "UP" line going to the headlight actuators. If you find that those measurements are above 12"Hg, your problem is more likely lack of lubrication and/or mechanical binding.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi tom,
I agree with 7T1 about lubrication or parts/pivots binding likely being the problem.
I'd take the hoses off the actuator and also the front plug. I then use a socket extension to reach into the actuator and push on the center of the diagram. to open the wiper door.
You'll then be able to tell if there is a lot of resistance in the mechanism or not. This should tell you whether it's an actuator problem or mechanism problem.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 AM
tomgallucci57
Racer

two great people,two great answers,thank you.tom in cleveland
Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Remove the rubber plug from the end of the actuator and try pushing in with something like a toothbrush handle, to see how smoothly the wiper door operates. You will have to close it by gently pushing down on the panel when it is up. Lou.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:00 PM
tomgallucci57
Racer

well,,,i took off the rubber plug,pushed in on the center area of actuator,,with slight resistence the door raises easily,,,then all of a sudden the wipers activate,coming up about an inch,then they go back down,,humm.so i gently push down the door,and it gets hung up, so i gently wiggle the door while pushing down,and it goes down.cars off all this time.hummm.now ive had this problem with it going down for awhile,half way and it needs a giggle,feels like its getting hung up. cant find where it binding yet..plus to top off all this,i must not have cycled the wiper switch yesterday,,,and today my brand new heavy duty battery is nearly dead.i know your not suppost to turn on the wiper switch when the car is off,or it will drain your battery.but somehow it happened.so im charging the battery right now.im suprised the wipers came alive by just pushing in the actuator...ill plug away at it later.but it would go up pretty fast in warmer weather...thanks everyone.p.s. i did spray silicone on all the pivoting areas during the summer.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:13 PM
tomgallucci57
Racer

also,,the rubber plug is somewhat loose,i can spin it with my fingers.probably loosing some vacuum there,correct.if so ill be getting a new one soon.think i should bubba it with some white pipe thread sealer for now,or just wait.i never bubba anything,,but for the time being? what do you guys think.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Tom,
I'll only respond to your loose plug comment.
I'm often surprised how regularly people replace the hoses and seals when they MAY not be the trouble.
A loose plug or hose may actually function just fine because the system isn't a PRESSURE system (trying to BLOW the seals, hoses, and plug, OFF); it's a VACUUM system (trying to SUCK the seals, hoses, and plug TIGHTER).
I'm NOT saying to keep your old plug.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To cold weather and wiper door

Quick Reply: cold weather and wiper door