C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these stub axles salvageble?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:38 AM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Are these stub axles salvageble?

Need help to move forward--
  • Is there enough meat between the c clip groove and the end of the axle?
  • Can these twisted edges be ground down and still work?

--still learning about the clutch packs and shims and don't know yet if that can compensate for picking up the 1/4"+ side play.

About four of the splines show a hammering effect. I measured the skinniest of the gaps between the groove and the end of the axle.

Thanks,
Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "salvageable"? They look like they would be acceptable cores. I wouldn't consider using as-is with the wear you have, there's more than 1/8" missing from the ends.

A rebuilder will cut them just below the groove and add a hardened end that includes a new groove, so yours have enough left to be rebuilt.

Edit: So you have 0.104" left which means they have worn 0.080", not 1/8" like I stated above. Still too far gone to use as-is.

Last edited by zwede; 11-17-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Not sure what you mean by "salvageable"? They look like they would be acceptable cores. I wouldn't consider using as-is with the wear you have, there's more than 1/8" missing from the ends.

A rebuilder will cut them just below the groove and add a hardened end that includes a new groove, so yours have enough left to be rebuilt.
The giveaway is the amount of end-play you have when the axles are installed in the rear end. It should be minimal. I don't have an exact spec, but if you can feel a significant amount of play when you pull the stub axle out and push it in, it needs to be replaced or rebuilt. From looking at yours, I think you will find considerable play. They appear to be very worn. Look at the bright side...you've done the hard part. They're out of the car.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 AM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zwede

Edit: So you have 0.104" left which means they have worn 0.080", not 1/8" like I stated above. Still too far gone to use as-is.
Zwede, that makes more sense--I didn't find evidence in the oil of 1/8" material missing from both axles.

At least each axle holds a $30 core value.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know how this is going to go... Once in there replace everything because having to take it out all over again is a 'big deal'.

The old saying goes: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Start with rebuilt axle shafts from a reputable vendor and change out all wearables and you will be fine.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:06 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

BHK.. that metal is worn off in tiny tiny little shavings.. Usually you can feel the grease and it will feel like it has an abrasive feel to it. If someone has changed the fluid in the rear end then more than likely you'll see nothing. If you look at the yoke below you'll see you are missing the entire tapered end...

From our web site, here is a picture that shows you what is missing.

I didn't see if you have h/d or standard yokes.. but here is a link to both.. you can use the current sale coupon to save even more....

We have them new or reman... http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...ds=Side%20Yoke

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 11-17-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:16 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
BHK.. that metal is worn off in tiny tiny little shavings.. Usually you can feel the grease and it will feel like it has an abrasive feel to it. If someone has changed the fluid in the rear end then more than likely you'll see nothing. If you look at the yoke below you'll see you are missing the entire tapered end...

From our web site, here is a picture that shows you what is missing.

I didn't see if you have h/d or standard yokes.. but here is a link to both.. you can use the current sale coupon to save even more....

We have them new or reman... http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...ds=Side%20Yoke
Wilcox, thank you-the edited pic showing the tapered edge is very helpful.

Get notified of new replies

To Are these stub axles salvageble?

Quick Reply: Are these stub axles salvageble?