C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Smog Nazi Strikes again! NO PLATES FOR JOO!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 04:10 PM
SharkByte
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Smog **** Strikes again! NO PLATES FOR JOO!!

Well, I detuned my 81' and set everything up the way the emissions lable on the inside of the hood says it should be.

Disconnect the electrical connection to the idle speed selenoid and set timing to 500RPM and retarded my timing from 12 degrees BTDC to 6 Degrees BTDC. I had the oil changed, filled it up with 91 octane and a bottle of CD2 fuel system cleaner, got on the highway and cruised at 80 for about 10 minutes to make sure the system was nice and warm then reported to the smog **** for my retest.

For a 1981 Corvette the max hydrocarbons you can blow is 120 which in my opinion is rediculosly low for a 21 year old, non-California Emissions V8. On my first test I failed with a 195 which by the way, would have passed in 49 of the 50 states. This time I blew a 298 so detuning definatly did not work.

Now, because I've failed twice I'm a gross Pollutor and the only place I can get it tested is some smog station out in Colexico where the guy is supposed to make my previous smog **** look like the tooth fairy. Needless to say, first thing tommorrow morning my title, Utah registration from last year, proof of insurance, 2001 tax reciept and Bill of sale for the car will be overnighted to the Hot Springs county registrars office in my home state of Arkansas along with a check for the woppin total of $37.00. If california wants to play smog **** thats fine with me. The lady at the Arkansas Department of Motor vehicles laughed at me when I asked if I had to get an initial smog check and said "We don't have smog in Arkansas!" They also don't have yearly safety checks... I knew there must have been a reason I kept paying them taxes...

[Modified by SharkByte, 5:11 AM 6/8/2002]
Old 06-07-2002, 04:19 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: The Smog **** Strikes again! NO PLATES FOR JOO!! (SharkByte)

:nonod: That really bytes :( . Glad to hear you'll still be driven the ole' girl ;) .
Old 06-07-2002, 04:33 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: The Smog **** Strikes again! NO PLATES FOR JOO!! (SmokedTires)

more than one way to beat the smog bozos, hey what part arkansas, lived in little rock and jacksonville for 12 years, high school at j-ville and college at ASU :D :cheers:
Old 06-07-2002, 04:42 PM
KorbenDallas
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad we don't have that crap here in FL. Sorry about your luck! :seeya
Old 06-07-2002, 08:18 PM
shotgun_000
Safety Car

After a few more years, will your car be exempt from the smog *****?

I'm glad SC doesn't have those checks. There has been talk of it, however.
Old 06-07-2002, 08:56 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its just an income source for the states. NO ONE has ever come forth with a "polution was reduced by x%" by adding these smog test laws. 90% of cars a econo/whatever that no one screws with. Yet everyone here in nevada has to get smogged everyyear. exc over 25years old or something like that. I think it takes on its own life. Someone finds something to spend the fees on and it becomes a revenue source, not a anti-polution program. Then that program needs more money so they they raise fees etc. Not to unlike 5 or 6 years ago in Nevada.

The new seat belt law Proposal (I wear mine anyway)
"Oh, if we happen to pull you over for something else we might give you a warning. "

Today. I am not kidding they run this ad on TV

"NO EXCUSES! NO EXEPTIONS! Nevada Highway Patrol is targeting non seat belt users!"

What will they think of next?
-marc
Old 06-07-2002, 09:12 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Default Re: The Smog **** Strikes again! NO PLATES FOR JOO!! (BigBadOrange)

%CO2 %O2 HC (PPM) CO(%) NO (PPM)
Test RPM MEAS MEAS MAX AVE MEAS MAX AVE MEAS MAX AVE MEAS RESULT
15 mph 1848 10.7 6.0 191 57 92 1.25 0.25 0.00 1277 570 605 PASS
25 mph 1984 10.5 6.2 159 45 75 1.05 0.19 0.00 1137 648 510 PASS

My 78 L-82 (not allowed in California in 78) 4spd only put out 92 ppm (hc) @ 15mph and 75 ppm (hc) @ 25 mph, something most definitly is wrong with your car.

Did you put on a new Catalytic Convertor or was it new already? I had a 71 Monte Carlo with a 454 that polluted less than your last test.
Old 06-08-2002, 08:49 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Gotta love that term- "GROSS Polluter"! Sort of like "HATE crime"......
Liberals sure DO have a way of tarring their enemies with words.
:crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 06-08-2002, 09:21 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

For a 1981 Corvette the max hydrocarbons you can blow is 120 which in my opinion is rediculosly low for a 21 year old, non-California Emissions V8. On my first test I failed with a 195 which by the way, would have passed in 49 of the 50 states. This time I blew a 298 so detuning definatly did not work.
If your car is a Fed certified car and not a Calif car you should not have to meet the Calif standard. Would only need to meet the standard for which it was certified. Any Calif experts around that can jump in here on this?

tom...
Old 06-09-2002, 02:19 PM
gerry c
Racer

Default Re: The Smog **** Strikes again! NO PLATES FOR JOO!! (Tom73)

If your car is a Fed certified car and not a Calif car you should not have to meet the Calif standard. Would only need to meet the standard for which it was certified. Any Calif experts around that can jump in here on this?
I think the L-81's were the same in all 50 states.

The limits on used cars in the peoples republik of Kalifornia are the same for all cars. They are not as tight as any of the new cars limits so they do give some lee way in that regard. If his car is that far out, there is something wrong with it (if it is stock). It could be a number of things cat, O2 sensor, computer, carb, distibutor could all cause the car to fail smog and yet still run okay. My first guess here would be the cat since he does not mention any check engine light problems.

In Kalifornia it pays to know your smog guy (not that they take pay-offs) they will often tell you what to check or do a second run in diagnostic mode without sending the report in (it happens automatically in regular mode) if you have made reasonable repairs. The worst part about our smog laws here is the car has to be stock (with few exceptions). If the car is maintained as it came from the factory, almost anything will pass if it is working, if they fail it is because something is not right.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Robert Holtman
Drifting

Default Re: The Smog **** Strikes again! NO PLATES FOR JOO!! (gerry c)

I know about CA Smog ****'s. That's why I like having a '68. But what's this "Yearly safety inspection" stuff? I've had a license in CA for 22 years (YIKES!) and never had to do a safety inspection. You have a salvage title or something? :confused:
Old 06-09-2002, 09:11 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Good move. I have experience with the "smog only" stations of which you speak, those you must go to if you fail twice or are "chosen at random" as my car was when it belonged to the former owner in Sacramento. As part of the sale, I agreed to deal with the "smog only" guy thinking how bad could it be. I found out why the former owner wanted no part of it.
Unlike a regular smog station which may fail you and charge you $100 bucks to adjust your carb and set your timing and send you on your way, the "smog only" guy, by law, is not allowed to make any adjustments . ( I suppose the logic is that this keeps him "honest".) That means if your 50 rpm's to high at idle for example, you fail and have to come back again-he can't adjust it for any amount of money!

It was the most ridiculous thing I have ever been through. The smog only stations are few and far between, in my case a 45 minute drive and I live in a major city!!! I ended up having minor a timing adjustment done by a "regular" smog station and having the car smogged by them (which didn't count but did cost), just to make sure before I went back to the "smog only" station. In the end, the fact that my timing was off by 2 degrees ended up costing me $300 and 3 seperate smog checks. Meanwhile I pass Honda Civics with blown rings clouding up the highway all the time.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:53 AM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

In Ohio, after 25years, the car is exempt. Collector cars are also exempt. Last year, I bypassed as a collector. This year, the whole thing is moot.

What kills me, is that I'll go pay my taxes (smog check :bs ) and then I'll pull out of the station, and I'll get behind a true gross polluter. Such as the old 2.2 Dodge that's blowing black smoke like it was going out of style. Or a city bus that's out of tune, or a city truck that's spewing thick diesel out the pipes and straight into my car, as if it had a personal vendetta with me.

I've never driven a true gross polluter. If it smoked, I fixed it. I don't play around. I recycle my oil, I recycle my trash, I compost everything I can. I even try to conserve fuel. So I'm all for exercises that help protect the environment. But a lot of this crap, like what you went through, does not.

That's my rant.

Take it easy and good move on the new Arkansas plates.
Old 06-10-2002, 03:00 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

you know, it won't be long before every state in the union has some type of smog check like this. the politicians realize that it is a sorce of "revenue" meaning a way to collect taxes they can't pass in the already grossly inflated budget. so it will work it's way all the way across the country. except i'm hoping it doesn't make it to alaska. then we can all pool in about $10 each and buy a couple dozen acres up there split it up and claim alaskan residency. they can go f*** themselves for what i care. :mad

[Modified by clutchdust, 11:01 PM 6/9/2002]
Old 06-10-2002, 10:53 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: The Smog **** Strikes again! NO PLATES FOR JOO!! (clutchdust)

You went the wrong way on your adjustments. You turn up the timing to get the best burn turn up the idle to near test allowable max rpm and on a high hydrocarbon car I would just up a vacuum hose to induce a tempory super lean to see if it went down. If that doesn't do it I would put in high dose % of methanol.

Bye the way my car failed years ago on visual. It passed the sniffer, but failed for no emission equipment and a quick fill gas filler (even though they haven't sold leaded gas in 15-20 years!)

In nevada we just have to register our cars in another smog free county. They just never knew that my daughter was one of the few two year olds as a registered Vette owner.

[Modified by gkull, 8:55 AM 6/10/2002]
Old 06-10-2002, 11:08 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: The Smog **** Strikes again! NO PLATES FOR JOO!! (clutchdust)

Minnesota had smog stations for a few years, then the EPA made the mistake of reporting no change in smog levels in the city, People got REAL upset and the smog stations went away!

So now we have no smog stations and no safety checks, Life is Good!
Old 06-12-2002, 08:32 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Hey Scott, anything new yet? Get the Arkansas plates, or are they hassling you?

Get notified of new replies

To The Smog Nazi Strikes again! NO PLATES FOR JOO!!

Quick Reply: The Smog Nazi Strikes again! NO PLATES FOR JOO!!